V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Another 3.1 Problem. Fuel pumo fuse keeps blowing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Another 3.1 Problem. Fuel pumo fuse keeps blowing.

92 3.1 v6. Problem started earlier today when I hit a bump an car suddenly died. pulled to side of road and tried to start but just cranks..I noticed that my check engine light wasn't coming on and then off like it normally does when I turn the key to on. Also fuel pumo wasnt coming on. so checked the fuse and it was blown. so popped another one in and same thing again and again,. Also disconnected the plug at the back of the fuel pumo and still blows the fuse. Any help were to start? my battery cable was a bit loose . Could i have shorted my ecm or something? The security light still comes on and goes off so that is okay.,
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: THM 700R4
Re: Another 3.1 Problem. Fuel pumo fuse keeps blowing.

Check the wiring on the relay plugs on the fuel pump relay and maf relays, over time the insulation can slide down exposing the bare wire and causing a short that will blow the 20amp fuse. Could also mean a bad fuel pump. I also had a problem in the wiring harness behind the engine where it goes into the trans tunnel..years of rubbing caused and open wire. I hope this help find your issue.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT
Re: Another 3.1 Problem. Fuel pumo fuse keeps blowing.

To facilitate tracing a dead short that instantly blows fusees, wire an old headlight bulb in place of the fuse. I soldered wire to each side of a blown fuse, then attached wires to the bulb.

Open both doors and depress the dome light switches to open (shut light). Make sure everything on the circuit is turned off.

When you find/correct the short, the light will go out.