Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Group Purchase on Hawks new Notchback

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Group Purchase on Hawks new Notchback

Ok many of you have express interest in Notchbacks. I have heard over and over how everyone wishes that one be made that is just like the factory original. Well thanks to this board I found one that is very, very close to a factory original. The main differences being that mine has a removable back glass, it had the screw caps on the top like our factory glass hatches, and there is no ridge down the center. Well I Purchased this Notch and the previous owner had no idea who made it or if any were still being produced. No one else could figure this out either. But since it was so close to an original and no one could find a current producer of it, I got together w/ Hawks 3rd gen and we are trying to produce this notch.

Well I did my part and bought the notch and got it to Bruce.
He did his part and got a fiberglass guy all lined up to make a mold.
Now its up to you all...here is the info that Scauffiel got from Bruce while I was absent from the boards due to being rearended on the 5th in my Dually.

Originally posted by scauffiel
Okay guys and gals. I just called and spoke to Bruce about putting some cash down ($100) via credit card so he can gauge the interest level. As noted above it takes time and money to work one-off items like this. Here's how it's going to work: If he can get 10 people to put $100 up using credit cards. The card WILL NOT be charged until the group buy actually goes through - if he doesn't get ten people, then the cards are never charged and we go about our merry way, notchless.

Once we get ten people to roger up, he'll start the mold. 1-2 weeks for that. A week to make up a couple notchbacks from the mold in order to check for problems and/or corrections. Once that's done and we've got a good notch - then he can knock out two to three a week.

The window's are kind of a problem for him. The way things stand now, it looks like he's going to offer the notchbacks with fixed windows "stock" - or you can pay a bit more for a kit to make the window removable. I, myself will look into some of the "hot rod" power window kits (a la www.autoloc.com and others) to make mine motorized. The kit won't be some high priced gig and most likely only cover costs of parts and bagging. Bruce is pretty much a regular around here and isn't trying to screw anyone over; however he does have a business to run.

Bottom line: around $600. The $100 deposit will of course go towards that.

Bruce is looking at starting two projects currently - The notchback being one of them. If he goes with the other, it may be quite some time before we see this again. Not to mention Shannon MIGHT just want her notchback back so she can prep for shows coming up.

Give Bruce a call at 1-864-855-2694 and support the effort.

Steve
As far as when I need my notchback, back...well I will need it back in time to get it preped, painted, fitted, and a new piece of plexi cut to be tinted to match to the windows...all by the TA Nats in August!

So let Bruce know your interest and get those deposits in! I got this notch and gave it to Bruce for you guys, so we 3rd gen Enthusiasts could have some styling options. Don't let this opportunity pass the 3rd gen community by. Until enough interest is generated the notch is on hold. He just wants to get 10 for the initial run to make making the mold worth while. From there they will probably make extras periodically to have on hand for future orders.

So come on guys and gals!

Here are the links to the current threads:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=171967

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=156753

Here is a link to the pics. I'm trying to keep this thread 56K friendly...

Pics of the notch and info!
I even went ahead and compiled pics of factory notches and of the aftermarket notches so you could compare them to this one!

For those of you who hate to scroll down here are some answers to some questions asked below...

In effect you are "pledging" $100, but using a credit card to "hold" the money. When he starts the actual fiberglassing of this run, he'll charge your card the $100. Once your individual notch is done and about to be shipped you will owe the rest of the final price.
Example: If the final price is $623, you'll owe $523, since he'll already have gotten the $100 from your card at the inception of the project.

Yes, the glass is included, but it's "fixed" meaning it won't be removable. For a couple of bucks more he's going to offer a kit to make it a removable window.

And no, the notchback is spoilerless, so you'll have to provide your own!
Bruce and I discussed the spoiler option and figured it would get too complicated to offer one with the notch. Most people do not want the base model style spoiler that the notches came with. And each spoiler has different mounting points. And to offer a spoiler with it would bump up the price. So we figured we would make it easier by leaving off the spoiler and having no spoiler holes in the notch. Then you can add whatever style you like!

Since the surface of the notch where the spoilers would mount is essentially the same as a stock decklid, any 3rd gen spoiler should fit. Now the onle problems I could forsee is with the wrap around style spoilers. Because of the notches raised sides and lack of the hatchback style window, I'm not sure how factory wrap arounds would fit and mount (they use clips on the edge of the glass). This is something that Bruce could probably check out if people are really interested in using this style with the notch. I suggest asking Bruce when you call to put down your deposit... He can always go try a few styles on for you guys if the interest is there.

Last edited by redraif; 06-04-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*BUMP*

Hey Mods - Can we get a sticky?

S.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305HO L69
Transmission: T5
yeah this definately deserves a sticky
Old 05-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
i want one, but i dont ahve the cash, i probably wont have it for quite a while...
Old 05-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Here ya go guys, good luck!
Old 05-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks MCRS for the sticky.

Of course, it looks like this deal will be going nowhere. Per the norm - we get a bunch of talkers, but when it actually comes down to doing, everybody bails.

Bummer.

S.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:35 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 Carburated
Transmission: T5 Manual
Oh I WILL call, I jus need to hear from RedRaif first on something
in PM first....
How many folks have called any one have any idea?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:20 AM

Thanks MCRS for the sticky.

Of course, it looks like this deal will be going nowhere. Per the norm - we get a bunch of talkers, but when it actually comes down to doing, everybody bails.

Bummer.

S.
I talked, and im definetely interested in doing it. Im gonna give him a call early next week and see when he'll be needing the full balance to be handed in. If i think i can spring it, im sending him my deposit.

And its not that we all want to talk **** and do nothing, and perhaps i cant speak for everyone else. But for me anyway, this is the WORST time of the year financially.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the sticky!

I will talk to Bruce this weekend at the F-body Gathering here in Atl and see what the latest is.

Come on guys lets make this happen!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:02 PM

will that 5" 3 pc. wing I see talked about fit the notch?? This might go good with my new jongbloed hood. Is that wing going to be made??
Old 05-23-2003, 04:07 PM

I am new to this site but from what I see Hawks is the way to go for parts. Is the right??? I need some interior parts.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by masterz
will that 5" 3 pc. wing I see talked about fit the notch?? This might go good with my new jongbloed hood. Is that wing going to be made??
The notch is designed just like a factory decklid in the area where the spoiler would mount. So any spoiler that would fit on a decklid will fit on this notchback!

Yes Hawks should be able hook you up with any interior part you need. He has tons of F-bodies on his lot. Just click on the banner at the top of the page and give him a call!
Old 05-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: FB385
Transmission: 700r4
Just a thought since the 5" spoiler thread has a lot of interest too,well, there was interest anyway, maybe we could do a group purchase on that spoiler? no? I would buy it now! I already emailed them for a shipping quote. Anyone in? I know i should probally post this in the 5" thread but this thread just had me thinkin.... later guys, and gals.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:59 PM

Will be callin in my deposit by weeks end.
Of course, the fact that everyones backing out means itll probably be a moot effort. :-\
What happened to all the people that were after one of these?

-JT
Old 05-29-2003, 11:02 AM

Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 Carburated
Transmission: T5 Manual
Okay I JUST heard from Bruce and laid out my deposit...and to be honest all I can say is UGH, come on people lets get this thing going! Including ME Bruce said he is upto person #2 ONLY!
I donno bout the rest of you but from the discussion earlier sounded like 10 people wanting this was not going to be hard to find! The window for this isn't all that large, as I assume he needs the original one to work with still. And as RedRaif said she needs it back by Augest at the latest!

That isnt long at all so come on people and get in touch with him at Hawks!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:21 PM

The $600 is unpainted correct?

Ugh...gimme a week...I am debating wiether or not to keep my car

But if it looks anything like this ....:hail: :hail:

I might have to keep the car

Last edited by 89transam; 06-01-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Real factory notch...

Factory side...

This notches side....

Factory rear....

This notch rear shot...

Factory angled

this notch...

I was not planning to post pics, but it seems some new to this effort need the side by side comparison!

OK this is a limited time offer people. You are really letting me down here. Where are all the interested people who were bugging me to death before?

Once this notch is on my car and you see it you are going to regret letting this opportunity pass you by! I'm not going to mess up a brand new paint job by trying to copy this notch once its painted and installed on the 82! I got you guys this chance, just like I promised. Come on! Get this notch produced!

I tried to convince Bruce to go ahead with the mold, but he is not sure that makes good business sence. He needs to have that 10 to show this is a worth while investment. Now if he gets very close to that # he may still go ahead. Remember this is his business, his lively hood... He can't put big $ out there on something and have you guys not buy it.

Last edited by redraif; 06-02-2003 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

I have updated my Cardomain site (82s) With the above info as well as some pics of other aftermarket notches. I also compiled pics of Real factory notches so you could compare the 2.

Check out theNotch Page!

Also revamped the site a bit!

Come on Guys!
Old 06-02-2003, 08:16 PM

So, the $600 is with the glas included correct? And does it come with the spolier or not?
Old 06-03-2003, 07:01 AM
Supreme Member

Yes, the glass is included, but it's "fixed" meaning it won't be removable. For a couple of bucks more he's going to offer a kit to make it a removable window. And no, the notchback is spoilerless, so you'll have to provide your own - or it'd be a good time to see how a five inch high rise would look on there...

S.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro SC
Engine: V6
All we have to pay is the deposit? 100 and later when they are available we pay the rest. Right now I have 100 to spare and could save up the rest in 3 weeks. I'll get in contact with bruce soon
Old 06-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

You don't even have to "pay" the $100. He just wants you to put it on a credit card - it won't be run until the deal is done and he's going to start the run. THEN he'll run the $100 from each of us. Once he's about to ship yours he'll contact you for the remainder.

So, to reiterate: In effect you are "pledging" $100, but using a credit card to "hold" the money. When he starts the actual fiberglassing of this run, he'll charge your card the $100. Once your individual notch is done and about to be shipped you will owe the rest of the final price. If the final price is $623, you'll owe $523, since he'll already have gotten the $100 from your card at the inception of the project.

I'm not sure I can be much clearer on that.

S.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Z28
Axle/Gears: TBD
i'm in in a week
Old 06-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Bruce and I discussed the spoiler option and figured it would get too complicated to offer one with the notch. Most people do not want the base model style spoiler that the notches came with. And each spoiler has different mounting points. And to offer a spoiler with it would bump up the price. So we figured we would make it easier by leaving off the spoiler and having no spoiler holes in the notch. Then you can add whatever style you like!

Since the surface of the notch where the spoilers would mount is essentially the same as a stock decklid, any 3rd gen spoiler should fit. Now the only problems I could forsee is with the wrap around style spoilers. Because of the notches' raised sides and lack of the hatchback style window, I'm not sure how factory wrap arounds would fit and mount (they use clips on the edge of the glass). This is something that Bruce could probably check out if people are really interested in using this style or other wrap around styles with the notch. I suggest asking Bruce when you call to put down your deposit... He can always go try a few styles on for you guys if the interest is there.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:43 AM

Car: 87 GTA 120,000k, 90 CRX Si
Engine: 5.7 TPI, 1.6L 16 valve SOHC
Transmission: 700r4, 5spd std
ok well i do want one and i can have the money in like 2 weeks but i guess i gotta call that guy
Old 06-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Yes, please call Bruce and get the deposits ironed out!

I would say that in order for him to get the mold made and get my notchback to me with enough time to get it blocked staight and ready for paint...then get the whole car painted before the August show....

Man I would think he would need to have all the orders in by the middle of June. This would be the deposits only. Then with 10 people saying yes they would make the mold off mine. I'm assuming roughly 2 wks to do that. That way and problems can be ironed out while they still have my notch... and then I could get it back to get prepped. But I'm gonna need a good month to get the notch and rest of the car painted before the show, esp if we are going to flame it....

So I'm making a guess here...but I would say mid June would be the cut off on this notch. Now if we get 10 people then the mold will be made and the notch will be available in the future. If we don't get 10 people this notch will not be produced at all!
Remember that!

Now remember your balance amount will not be due right away. It will not be due till your notch is done and ready for shipment. This timing will depend on how quick notches can be made. No way to really tell at this point. I would guess more mid July for most of the notches...A few will be ready before then. Mostly it depends on how quick we get 10 people together!

But I would say you have time to get the balance together!
Old 06-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

this is gonna sound crazy, but can i put down a deposit and not purchase the notch for a year? i am 90% sure i won't be able to buy the notch until next year. however, when i can afford it, i would really like it if it was available. i want this to go into production so much, that i'm willing to put up $100 to help get it started.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

You'd have to talk to Bruce, Diabolical. Maybe instead of putting the hundred beans down and then waiting a year, you can work out a payment plan type of deal where you pay him $100 a month or something.

Of course, it'll all be for naught if the damn things don't get made.

S.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Are there any "performance" gains with the stock notch compared to the sleaker GTauto one???

I kinda like the the GTauto one better for looks. It is/was about the same price.Course I dont see the GTauto banner above anymore.

Matt
Old 06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Gumby
Are there any "performance" gains with the stock notch compared to the sleaker GTauto one???

I kinda like the the GTauto one better for looks. It is/was about the same price.Course I dont see the GTauto banner above anymore.

Matt
i don't know if i'd call the gt auto one sleeker, but it doesn't really matter. gt auto is now g&t fiberglass, but you can get both notches through hawks anyway. there shouldn't be any performance different between the two at all.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Banned

Car: Trans am
do you have any pics of that notch on a trans am . I would like to see some on a trans am .
Old 06-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Banned

Car: Trans am
hows the fit on this thing gonna be if i get one, it has to be perfect , i was pissed with the fit on my ram air 2 hood, it has to be a real quality fit .
Old 06-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

As Steve said above...Hawks is going to make the first few and work out any fitment bugs before he starts filling orders. Now from what we could tell when we installed the original on the Camaro in the pics, it fits very well.

It uses the factory hinges and struts. It also takes the latch right of your stock hatch. You just swap it right over. Its a very straight forward swap.

The only black car we had available to put it on that day was the camaro. So I have no TA shots of this notch. But as I stated before it is so similar to the factory original that it will look just like the factory original GTAs in the above pics!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

i emailed bruce and pledged my $100. including me, he only has 3 people. this is rediculous. the original thread that got this project started had 3 pages of people saying they wanted it, then there was another page full when raif posted the pictures. now we have the chance to get it, and only 3 people step up.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by redraif
It uses the factory hinges and struts. It also takes the latch right of your stock hatch. You just swap it right over. Its a very straight forward swap.
stock struts won't be too strong for it, since it's half the weight of a glass hatch?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Z28
Axle/Gears: TBD
Originally posted by Diabolical
stock struts won't be too strong for it, since it's half the weight of a glass hatch?
yeah thats a good queston cuase my struts acty like they will throw my hatch a few feet if it is ever loose

and that is with a spoiler
Old 06-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Well the 3rd gens came with different struts. Those birds with stock spoilers will probably be fine. The 88 RS spoiler guys will probably be fine. The 3 piece Camaros should be OK too. Those with the wrap around spoilers had stronger struts. They might have to be swapped. Honestly, the car we tried it on had dead struts. The mounting plate though work with the factory length struts.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
i know i'd really like to have one i've been talking about it with my friend cause with me totally rebuilding my 88 that would give it the touch but i just got laid off and dont have a credit card i'm only 19
Old 06-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
hey shannon, just some food for thought, if the deposits don't go through, what's the possibility of getting this done over the winter?

people might have the money then
Old 06-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

I just posted this over at the camaroz28 forums in the hopes of attracting more people.

I just hope they're people with money. *sigh*

I also wrote to the moderator to ask him to make it a sticky.

S.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:47 AM

Awesome! I'm glad I saw this thread tonight! I've always loved the factory notchback look.

$100 down isn't a problem for me, but depending on when he needs the rest and the shipping costs (for hawaii) I might not be able to come through.

I'll definately give that guy a call this week and see if I can work out some way that I can still support the project with $100 down, and pay the rest later after summer or something. (Not sure what kind of time frame this project is in. Anyone know the earliest and/or latest the notches will be ready?)

When I call bruce I'll ask him, but maybe someone here can answer this: If I want to use my factory (base 91 firebird) spoiler on this notch, will it be able to support the weight? Or should I look into getting a fiberglass spoiler to use with it? (Or... how much do the factory spoilers weigh?)

I'll try to call hawks before I go to work monday or tuesday morning. Any info you guys could give me would help also.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

3rdGenBlackBird, the notch is about half the weight of a glass hatch, and your spoiler should be fine to use with it. i talked to him because i'm in the same boat as you. i can put down $100, but i probably won't afford it until the end of summer or something. he said we can work that out. once he has all the deposits he needs, it should take about 2 months to get the mold made, make a few to assure proper fit and all that, then start producing them. i don't know about shipping to hawaii though, that could get pricey.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by robertg
hey shannon, just some food for thought, if the deposits don't go through, what's the possibility of getting this done over the winter?

people might have the money then
Well the only problem is that when you make a mold there is a 99% chance that the paint will be messed up. Now we will have a custom paint job on the 82 and it will be running the notch. To have it done for the TA nats the car has to be done by August. As it is we may have lost a place to paint it...Still working on that! Blowtherm is moving its training center to TX and the booths here are being sold off one by one. So depending on how quick they come get the booths, we may not be able to paint the car at all there.

Ugh! So if I can't get the car done, maybe the notch will be off that long, but as it stands it should be painted and on the car before winter time!
Old 06-18-2003, 05:40 PM

all i have to say to all u cliff hangers is go for it. i get soo many comments on how different it is, and they ask prduction numbers and i just smile. whats 600 bux. i spend that much on fast food in a couple months. do it up so we can get this notch back trend off the ground and in the sky. P.S thx redraif for using my car on ur site...i feel specila
Old 06-18-2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by A88GTANotchback
whats 600 bux.
Yeah, but its $600 bare. I assume its at least 200 to get it painted, the another 200 or more to get a spoiler. Close to $1,000 after its all said and done
Old 06-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by A88GTANotchback
all i have to say to all u cliff hangers is go for it. i get soo many comments on how different it is, and they ask prduction numbers and i just smile. whats 600 bux. i spend that much on fast food in a couple months. do it up so we can get this notch back trend off the ground and in the sky. P.S thx redraif for using my car on ur site...i feel specila
that's what i'm saying. i don't have $600 right now, had no intentions of buying this notch any time in the next year, but i realize that if people like me don't step up, this thing won't be available for me to purchase in a year. i'll take another $600 of credit card debt over never being able to have what i want.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 PM

Id put $5 towrds it even though I probobly wont buy a thing
Old 06-18-2003, 10:58 PM

1000 bux for somehting ull never see again is pretty fair id say. by the sounds of it this guy does good work. i did a tune up on my car and parts carme to 300 cdn. thats a tune up. cars are expensive this mod isnt bad.....if u dont have money u dont have money but if u do and ur wondering what to do...do the notch
Old 06-19-2003, 04:26 AM

Talked to Bruce yesterday for a few minutes. He answered all my questions but he seems doubtful that we will get enough people before he has to return the notch. (Only 3 people made their deposits as of yesterday.)

I'm going to call him tomorrow morning before work (probably late thursday afternoon EST) to leave my credit card number so I'm probably number 4.

We probably won't have another chance like this so if you have the money, PLEASE put it down for a notch then sell it on ebay or something if you don't want it. All we need are 6 more buyers....

Also, he said he's going to be out of his shop for a few days starting friday, so if you have any questions for him call him up tomorrow!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:02 AM

Notches are SEXY!!! Every time I take it out EVERYBODY asks about it !!!!! I would do it, that is if I didnt have one already
JMO

Quick Reply: Group Purchase on Hawks new Notchback