Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

cuts out at >1/2 throttle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cuts out at >1/2 throttle when warm

hey all,
i ran a search and read of some similar symptoms, but didn't come across an answer, so here goes... my car starts up & runs for about 5 min just fine. once the engine hits ~180º, it will sputter if i give it more than 1/2 throttle or so. if i accelerate really slowly it acts normal. all gages read normal, and no codes.

the first time it did this the other day, i pulled over at a gas station to check it out, and it wouldn't restart. i took the air cleaner off & could see fuel spraying into the TB (it's TBI). so, i thought it had to be spark. got a ride home, came back the next day, and it started right up. drove 5 mi down the road & it started doing the same thing.

my first thought was fuel pump or filter, but i've replaced both in the last 20K or so, and why would those be affected by the engine temp? like i said, it runs PERFECTLY until warm. next thinking it had to be timing advance, but i replaced the distributor (w/ module), plugs, cap, rotor, and wires about 3k ago. only thing still there is the coil. again- why only once warm?

maybe the O2 sensor? some mentioned the MAF, but i don't think mine has one... TBI is based on MAP only, right? ummm... reaching here- timing chain? any ideas?

thanks for any help...
:hail:
Trace
Old 08-05-2003, 09:41 PM

oh yeah, and my EGR vacuum line is disconnected, EGR capped & line plugged, and has been that way for a while w/ no problems...
Old 08-05-2003, 09:53 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42s/posi/disc
check it for codes

is your check engine light on??

if yes id be willing to bet that one of your sensors has gone bad get the codes form the computer and replace/fix what it tells you is bad.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:57 PM

nope, no codes, no ck engine light. thanks for reply.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:01 PM

Re: check it for codes

Originally posted by z28monster
is your check engine light on??

if yes id be willing to bet that one of your sensors has gone bad get the codes form the computer and replace/fix what it tells you is bad.
i ran a search and read of some similar symptoms, but didn't come across an answer, so here goes... my car starts up & runs for about 5 min just fine. once the engine hits ~180º, it will sputter if i give it more than 1/2 throttle or so. if i accelerate really slowly it acts normal. all gages read normal, and no codes.

He said no codes...read it again. To start, check your plugs & wires, especially your coil wire. I once had a bad coil wire, once the car got warm it would run like garbage, spitter and sputter and sometimes stall out..and it would only fire up again 50% of the time. If it's not that...check back and we will give you some more idea's. I just don't want to overwhelm you with information just yet.