TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

code 43

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 lsd swap
code 43

this isnt making my life easy. so far i have tested the knock sensor (autozone tests for free), esc module was swapped out, i also tested the connection from the knock sensor to the esc module. i had the car in the shop a month ago, i had an electrical issue. i told them to check the electrical system. all they did was readjust the timing, i think they screwed more up than they fixed. i had to buy a painless wiring kit to fix the problem that i originally took it to them to fix. they charged me 175 dollars and accomplished nothing. i think they screwed the timing up, retarded it too much. also note that the light wasnt before i took it to these idiots. oh not to mention when i went to pick the car up intially i had a conversation with the guy about building more performance out for my car. he tried telling me that the 305 and the 350 are the same block(true, to an extent) and that you could bore out the 305 and make it a 350( completely false, you would run into the water jackets, anybody and knows anything about the chevrolet small block would know that this is impossible). i feel i made a big mistake in taking my car to this shop, if i know more about the car than they do, its a very large sign to stay away. back to the topic, can timing that is too far retarded set a code 43? can it cause an the car to idle funny. car will idle good and then the idle will drop really quite low, it will either idle good or it will hunt, its very strange behavior. i was also thinking about testing the IAC, and the TPS sensor. those too can cause the car to idle strange.

1. can timing that is impropely set cause car to idle funny
2. can timing that is off cause the computer to set a code 43? car did not have a code 43 issue until AFTER i took it to these idiots(i regret taking my car there and they will never see me there again, and if these guys cant properly handle a 1989 camaro 305 how on earth do they fix newer cars? a 89 camaro tbi is a much simpler vehicle than anything manufactured today).

if you guys can give me some direction it would help, thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84' Monte
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: ferd 9" posi 3.50 gears
Re: code 43

Code 43 can be set two different ways. First is when you unhook the EST wire to set the timing, which is easily fixed by unhooking the battery for a few minutes to clear the code.

It sounds like your light is set from the forced knock test failing. The ECM will advance the timing untill it hears knock to make sure the knock sensor is working. The second time the engine fails this test it will set a code 43 and lock the timing at 20 degrees causing your drivability problems. This test is only ran when in PE mode, which is enabled under heavy throttle, if you notice that the code is set the second time you get in it then this is most deffinately the cause.

The cause is probably retarded timing, there could be two things causing this. First is if Darrell and Darrell simply set it wrong, most likely they set it at 6 degrees with the timing connector still hooked up. The second scenario is if the balancer has slipped and you set the timing to the timing mark that has now rotated several degrees retarded.

Check the timing and go from there.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 AM

Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 lsd swap

the funny thing was, i remembered the day i picked my car up after it was "serviced". that i night i was driving it in the city. i had to make a couple 3 point turns, i noticed that idle was very low, and car even stalled a few times when under a idle- raised load condition (power steering from the 3 point turn). i took it back the next day and i complained that i felt the idle was too low. they tried telling my it should idle at 500 RPM?? i question that, i think 750 sounds about right. im not happy with their service and i wouldnt even send my worst enemies to this place. the moral of the story- if you want something done right do it yourself. they wouldnt refund my money, attempt to investigate why they car had a newly developed stalling condition for free. not to mention i took my car there for an electrical diagnostic and NOT a timing diagnostic. i was charged a whole lot of money, the requested service was never performed, and the car now has a new habit/issue which it never had before. i will never take any of my vehicles(i have 3 older vehicles, so thats alot of potential work) to them ever again. they lost my business.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:08 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI, 93 LT1 cam, 081 hds, hdrs.
Transmission: Built - 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 gears from '87 TA w/rear disc

I would like to thank BMmonteSS for steering me in the right direction. A year ago I changed Heads, Cam, Intake, added Headers, and installed an injector spacer in my LO3. I had purchased a Knock Sensor, ESC module, ECM, Ignition Module, and a Pick-up coil. After a year of an intermittant code 43, I started looking into timing issues at your suggestion. At 8* base timing the fault stopped. If it wasn't for BMmonteSS and other people like you on this site, I would have gone to a Carburetor in the next week. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Oldman305