Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

adding a t-top roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding a t-top roof

this is my idea of topping a car. this is not for every one and if you think that it is a dumb idea that please post else where. i will also let you know that this is a good reference for you crazy guys out there that take pride in moding your car and doing things your way. i take no responsibility for any of you guys that attempt this your self and ruin your car or dont weld that great resulting in personal injury. i had a professional welder doing the welding for me, and i will also have a roll cage in my car in the event that **** happens and i roll over. now that that is out of the way in doing research in topping a car there really isn't a whole lot of info out there. i know that when most people would attemp this they will section out the a pilars and b pillars into the staggered cuts and try to weld it all together. how ever if you are off by just the slightest in your messurements then lets just say you are ****ed. your glass will not fit, door glass will be off, windshield wont fit and back hatch well you get the idea. so my solution to the problem was to completely take the top off at the factory seems and put them on accordingly so that i wouldn't risk having my angles and gaps all thrown out of whack. this worked out quite well.and i will appologise in advance, because i cant figure out how to add all of the pictures in to one post so there will be alot of them to show steps and pictures of each one. once again i repeat this is a reference on how to do it. i take no responsibility how any of you that decide to do it your self and one either kill your car, or your self while doing this.

step one is to remove windshield, doors fenders, back hatch
next add in bracing to keep car from buckling
also go and buy a spot weld cutter and a lot of tips for it. start drilling out spot welds on the a pillars
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0613.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0612.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0614.jpg  

Last edited by madhatter; 06-20-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Re: adding a t-top roof

these are some more pictures of the spot welds that need to be drilled out on the a pillars
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0615.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0616.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0617.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 PM

this is where you would cut the a pillars from the cowl piece. now down in between there the are three spot welds that you cannot drill out. this is where an air hammer comes in handy. when you put it back together you just run a bead of weld across the top of it, and that will be stonger that the three spot welds that were there originally, those pics will come later
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0623.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM

this is the factory bracing that is left attached to the car, one it acts as a reference piont when lining the top back up, and secondly when doing this i tried to keep as much bracing intact in the car, and split it apart at the factory seems
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0629.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 PM

now on to the b pillars
this first picture is on the inside you take out the two screws and then drill out all of the spot welds, with that removed you will find two pieces of bracing behind that that also need all of the spot welds drilled and removed. there are also five spot welds in the rear hatch run channel.

one the spot welds are drilled out and the factory bracing removed, grind the paint off of the b pillarss out side and find the factory seem. looks like they brazed it in with brass. cut along that line. stop it before it meets the door side of the b pillar, you will cut staright up from there to leave that piece of bracing there, this will also act as the brace that you will rest the new top on to maintain the correct roof height
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0434.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0620.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0619.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 PM

picturs of cut along factory seem on b pillar
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0621.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0622.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 AM

the next step is to remove the top and say oh **** what the hell did i just do, dont worry about that reaction, you over come it pretty quickly. this is the way that you not only remove your top, but it is also the way that you remove the top off of you donor car. now get out your grinder and clean up the metal under where the top will be placed back on so that when welding you will get good penetration, and also clean up the metal on the donor top and get ready to start assembling you new top on the car
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0628.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0633.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0631.jpg  

Last edited by madhatter; 01-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 AM

now place the top one the car line up a pillars and tach into place, it is important only to tach a few, so that if it isn't lined up you can still be able to cut a few tachs and move it. then measure the hight of the rear side to side to make sure that they are equal height and tach. next place the windshield in to check for windshield gap, and palce on the rear hatch to make sure that aligns as well. it is also important to put on the tops and make sure that they fit on the roof, to make sure that it didnt bend on you.

if all fits well start filling in the spot welds
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0635.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0639.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0637.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM

pictures of windshield alighnment
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0641.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0642.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0643.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 AM

i will put up the rest of the pictures on the finish work on the rear bracing, and the sheet metal work of the cowl , and the rest misc, stuff that i forgot to add this weekend. all that you see there was acomplished in a day and a half last weekend. sat morning i drove out to a guys house to top his parts car ( i do love freebies thanks once again for everything sean) came home cut my top and added the new one, still have some grinding and finish work to do this weekend but should be done by sunday, in which case i will post the rest of the pics. i hope this helps any one that is thinking about topping a car. it isn't hard, but you really need to be handy with a welder. like i said my buddy is a union welder/fabricator so i gave him the honors of putting down much nicer looking welds than i could have done
Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

Wow, that actually didn't look as hard as I would have imagined. You are a lot braver than me though, I don't think I'd have the guts to chop the roof off
Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 v8
Transmission: T5

man that is awesome, i think i would of converted to a soft top though? regardless, you are definatly getting places! looks good!

Cheers
Douglas
Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

you hardly see me saying this but

Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 385 sbc
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Sorry Dan but I need my top back...lol.... Very very nice. Im definetly voting for a STICKY on this one. I cant believe its already on ,that was quick .Cant wait to see it when its finished.... SHENANIGANS..... you know what Im talkin bout. Later buddy
Old 06-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ward
Wow, that actually didn't look as hard as I would have imagined. You are a lot braver than me though, I don't think I'd have the guts to chop the roof off
ya when i was starting this project i thought that it was really going to suck mostly because i was thinking that i would have to section off the a pillars which would be a huge pain in the ***, then i thought why cant you just take it off at the factory mounting points, so that is what i did and it was really easy. i cant believe how those tops are mounted on the car. there really isn't much in the form of bracing especially in the B pillars. there really isn't much protecting our heads.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:37 PM

Car: 1992 RS 6spd
Engine: Carbed 357c.i.
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Soon to be Strange S60

Okay, now for my next mod, rollcage lol.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Car: 1986 IROC
Engine: 355 Tpi
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

Awesome work! It's so refreshing to see somebody actually do it correctly. I've seen too many people cut through the A pillars and wire feed it back together. Again, great work I vote sticky as well.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:11 AM

wel its friday nite and i already finished it but i am wiped out so i will post the rest of the pics tommorow, after i am done installing my s&w 8 point. thanks for the word of encouragement guys, it drives me to finish the post for you guys
Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 AM

Car: 1971 Camaro

Looks great! I think I would have took the easier route and bought a donor car and transplanted all my parts to to it instead

That's what makes for nice cars are people willing to dive in to something like this.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 PM

I agree, this should be made a sticky! Very informative, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

AWESOME AWESOME JOB!

I love the way you took the time to do it RIGHT, drilled the spot welds out & cut at the seams Plasma cutter? Judging by the cleanless of the cuts and color change along the cut, I'd think so.

Your making me wanna find a t-top car to cut apart now!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter
wel its friday nite and i already finished it but i am wiped out so i will post the rest of the pics tommorow, after i am done installing my s&w 8 point. thanks for the word of encouragement guys, it drives me to finish the post for you guys.
Any updates....?????
Old 06-22-2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen
AWESOME AWESOME JOB!

I love the way you took the time to do it RIGHT, drilled the spot welds out & cut at the seams Plasma cutter? Judging by the cleanless of the cuts and color change along the cut, I'd think so.

Your making me wanna find a t-top car to cut apart now!
plasma cutter, i wish i would have way less metal shavings in my eye that i had to get out. nope did it the old fashion way cutter. didn't finish the cowl piece yet have the rest done, started the roll cage, will have pics up later today
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM

as promised more pics of every thing. here are the pics of the outter skins of the b pillars welded up. i had to take out about three quarters of an inch of material around my cut line because it was brazed together from the factory by what appeared to be brass. dissimilar metals dont weld together well, and the welds were cracking, so i cut it all out and added a filler strip
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0647.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0648.jpg  

Last edited by madhatter; 09-09-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM

these are the outer skins after the were ground and sanded down. they are fairly straight. dont worry about trying to fill it all in, body filler will take care of the highs and lows
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0655.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0656.jpg  

Last edited by madhatter; 09-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:46 PM

here are some pics of the inner brackets that were taken out, that were put right back in to the factory mounting points
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0657.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0658.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0659.jpg  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:56 PM

here is another pic of the bracing back in, and one of the inner most plate put back on
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0660.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0661.jpg  
Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM

and here is the a pillar ground down, still missing the sheet metal work, im sure ill get to it some time in the next month, since the car is in my dads garage and i only have another two months to finish, im trying to knock out all of the big stuff first. my buddy has been out of work because of all the rain so im try to work him as much as i can before the weather clears up. he welds so much faster than i do.
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0662.jpg  
Old 06-22-2008, 02:19 PM

this is what this is all about having the tops to remove and enjoy your car the way you want to. now im not saying that this is for every one, but i hope that it helps the few of you brave enough to tackle this project. it really isn't that hard to do. i also would like to point out that this will also work for you guys that want t-top to hard top, and all around roof replacement. if there is anything that i have left out or something that needs better explaining, let me know and ill try my best to clear it up.
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0653.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0654.jpg  
Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

A moderator needs to sticky this as soon as possible, that was an EXCELLENT and thorough description of each and every detail! Just got my hands on an '86 hardtop Z28 too, and it's nice to know that I have this option if I ever decide to go that route. Don't forget to post up pics of the cage when it's installed as well....

-Rob
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Car: 87 Buick Regal T
Axle/Gears: 2.56 blah

This will be very useful if I decide to convert my 91 from T-top to hard top.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 AM

stupid rust, and to think that my floor pans would have actually existed. stupid me. well it will be a few days for me to fix the holes in the floor before the roll cage is done. sorry guys

Last edited by madhatter; 06-24-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 PM

sorry its been a while. the floor pans, roll cage are in, the rest of the welding on the top it done and the car is painted. here is a pic of the cars paint, i will take more pics of the cage a body work and have them up this week
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0703.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Love the colors and paint scheme!!! NICE!! More pic's?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Looking good,,,, cant wait to see more pics .
Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Wow man, that's great work. That seemed a LOT easier than I really thought it was going to be.

Now the real question - I have a hardtop and want a T-top - anyone want to trade roofs? (I'm serious when I ask this...)

Great work, I can't wait to see more pics.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by PolarrrBearrr
Wow man, that's great work. That seemed a LOT easier than I really thought it was going to be.

Now the real question - I have a hardtop and want a T-top - anyone want to trade roofs? (I'm serious when I ask this...)

Great work, I can't wait to see more pics.

where are you located, i actually have another t-top roof, i got two i was going to mess around with one roof to see how it was constructed but never got to doing it
Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 PM

pictures of the roll cage and top
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0704.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0705.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0710.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM

here are pics of the b-pillars, and one of my reflection in the paint
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0706.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0713.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0708.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM

here are pics of the shaved gas door, and antenna
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0712.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0716.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:52 PM

a better pic of the antenna, and another pic of the front of the car this time with clear coat on it
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-img_0709.jpg   adding a t-top roof-img_0714.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Automatic

This one had a new T top cut in. I had no choice after the engine and drive train were in we discovered a ton of rust in the T area.
Wish I could take the credit but, a friend of mine did it. He charged me for 2-days work.
Attached Thumbnails adding a t-top roof-3_4-iroc-left-lr.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM

I'm in New Jersey - I would gladly take the top off your hands, but I'm not sure how I would get it from Chicago to me - do you?

I'd think it would cost a small fortune.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

damn Dan, shes coming together nicely. But whats up with the doors . Ill give ya a shout when I can swing by . No more teebaggin.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by wanab03ss
damn Dan, shes coming together nicely. But whats up with the doors . Ill give ya a shout when I can swing by . No more teebaggin.
no need to be a ***** now sean, this is the first car that i painted, and seeing how i did all the body and paint work myself, i think i can live with a few tiny dings here and there

anyways you should come check it out, i hoping to have it out for third gen fest 09
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Whats a guy gotta do to get a STICKY around here?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4

The stickiest of the icky !!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: Built TH-700 R4 (Vilgilante 2800)
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ PBR's

Looks great in person!

Great job Dan
Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Car: 1988 sc camaro, 1986 IROC
Engine: 2.8 v6, 305 tpi (for now)
Transmission: automatic, auto( for now)

yup i've decided that i'm doing this over the winter/spring so in the summer time i can have my t tops and enjoy them too

so i guess my only questions for the moment is where did you get the t top roof?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by wulfgar the pen
yup i've decided that i'm doing this over the winter/spring so in the summer time i can have my t tops and enjoy them too

so i guess my only questions for the moment is where did you get the t top roof?
the first roof i had was from lafn at u, but it was cut a little short could be used but would have been a pain in the ***. the first roof i got would have to cut a section the A pilars, and if not done correctly your roof height and pitch would be off, and could also be a safety factor. the second roof was from a guy that was parting out his car before he junked it. there are a ton of guys on here that part cars, so my suggestion would be to find one with a t-top car close to you and ask him if you could come over and take the top off yourself. otherwise you are stuck to finding a junkyard. take it from me if you are going to go through with it, do it this way, it is so much easier to do than sectioning out pilars. and like i said get a good welder. i know how to weld and did all of the tach welding, but leave your safety to a professional, unless you are really good at it

Quick Reply: adding a t-top roof