Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Anyone good at rebuilding the T5?? Got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS/Z28
Engine: 357 Edelbrock Intake & Holley Carb
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: whatever stock is
Anyone good at rebuilding the T5?? Got questions.

I'm going to have to get a rebuild kit for this T5WC transmission I have. I bought it from a member here almost a year ago and it has finally seen it's last few days. I'm having some problems with the trans that I was hoping that someone with more experience could help me determine what the problem parts might be.

I am having trouble getting the gears 1-4 to fully seat during shifting, or bucking out of gear while letting the clutch out. The shifter gets through the gates for each gear just fine, it's just the very last little bit where it doesn't want to mesh and go into gear. I have to hold pressure on the shifter while letting the clutch out to keep from having it buck out of gear, and even then that is no guarantee since it sometimes still bucks and grinds the gears. It'll sometimes do it in reverse too, but not near as often and I haven't noticed it yet in 5th. I'm certain that this is caused by the shifting forks, but I'm not totally sure if that is everything that could be wrong. Since I barely get the trans to get into gear on all gears is there a problem with the shifter fork pads maybe? I'm guessing there is a problem with the shifting forks being bent too probably, but I wanted input from someone else here before I started making plans on what to buy. I would rather have everything bought beforehand that I think will be the problem and hopefully I'll get this trans back together within a day or two, depending on how long it takes me to clean up the main housing. I would like to sandblast the outside of it too and repaint it, probably clear so it keeps the nice clean aluminum look.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips for when I get into actually rebuilding this transmission I would really appreciate it. I have disassembled and reassembled a manual transmission for one of my old cars several times so I know it can be a headache. Any special tools I might need would be appreciated too.

Thanks guys
Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Re: Anyone good at rebuilding the T5?? Got questions.

Need help guys, anyone have any ideas other than the shifter forks, pads, and regular rebuild stuff? Am I going to need new keys and springs?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 AM

Car: 82' T/A
Engine: LG4
Transmission: THM200c

A basic rebuild kit should have everything you need to fix your problem. Either your shift forks are excessively worn or your dog teeth on the blocker rings are worn out. Its really hard to tell without pulling the trans to look inside. The T5's are a pretty friendly transmission to work on so I don't think you will have any trouble with it if you have a good manual, and maybe a shop press. Good luck
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 AM

I know all the rebuild kits I've looked at so far do not have the forks or pads included, but I'm sure that they're damaged. I'm just not sure if I need to get the keys and springs when I get the rest of the stuff. I know that we cannot definitively say what needs to be replaced and what doesn't until I open it up and take pictures, I was just hoping that someone might have suggestions for what to get from "previous similar experiences". I guess I'll just order everything and just put it all in, I would rather spend more money on getting that trans back into shape right now than have to pull it again later to replace something again. Of course I would far rather have a T-56 more than this T-5, but at least if I've rebuilt this thing good then maybe I'll have a better chance of selling or trading it.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

The rebuld kits that I have used had the pads in them. I get most of this stuff from Rockland Standard Gear.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 AM

Car: '86 berlinetta
Engine: carbed 350
Transmission: T-5

thegearbox.org lists the pads in their kit descriptions.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Every kit should have the pads in it. I bought the master rebuild kit, and the rebuild video from Hanlon Motorsports. It was awesome. Tranny is perfect.