Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

...a worning to all SLP T-ram owners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula Firehawk (Clone)
Engine: 350 with Firehawk Package
Transmission: 700R4
...a worning to all SLP T-ram owners...

The Ford SVO 24# injectors are not direct replacements for the factory units...I found this out the hard way. They are about .090" shorter, so the fuel rail will not seat properly on it. Not sure about the new Accel 24# units, but their tech rep said he thought they might be slightly shorter also. On a factory TPI setup, this is no big deal, because the fuel rail only attaches to the injectors, but on the T-ram, the fuel rail is part of the upper plenum, so the injector height is very critical. I ended up having to mill the plenum base to get everything to fit properly, and now it does, but if I ever go back to stock height injectors I'll have to remember to double up on the plenum base gaskets...
Old 03-13-2001, 09:29 PM
dlp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez, don't scare me like that.

Don't you still have your installation instructions from SLP that mention the different lengths of injectors!!!

------------------
87 IROC -
ZZ4 350
SLP T-Ram,1"3/4 SLP headers, Cat back, Hotch-kis, MSD, Iebach etc.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:43 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlp:
Geez, don't scare me like that.

Don't you still have your installation instructions from SLP that mention the different lengths of injectors!!!

</font>
I'm sure that somewhere in my piles of car parts and documentation I still have the SLP instructions, but after having the intake on and off several times over the past 8 years or so, the instructions no longer seemed like a priority to dig out...besides, you know what they say about real men and instructions...

...anyway, I originally installed the intake back in '93, and I don't remember any reference to injector lengths. What exactly did they say, and did they recommend any particular injector, because even the stock GM ones didn't seat exactly right in my estimation.

Thanx for the response...

------------------
jimbo

Mosquito Coast F-Body Association (MCFBA)

1991 Formula SLP350
1999 Trans Am Firehawk

[This message has been edited by jimbo (edited March 14, 2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 10:48 PM
dlp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Your original injectors can be used, however, it is recomended to install new o-rings to prevent a potential fuel leak. These are available from your GM parts dealer. In our # 20110 installation kit you will find 4 top to base gaskets #20110b. If you are using bosch injectors use only 2 of these. If you are using Rochester injectors use all 4 gaskets (double thickness). An easy method of identification is to measure the overall length of the injector. This dimension is 3.125 for the Bosch and 2.950 for the Rochester. This is an overall measurement and as you can see there is a significantdiffrence in the length approx. 3/16".

Bosch = 3.125" = 2 gaskets
Rochester =2.950" = 4 gaskets

This was taken directly from SLPs instructions. I dont know if its a misprint but it dosnt make sense to me. Just a FYI GM replacement o-rings are the only way to go. I dont know if you have had any problems tearring o-rings when installing the plenum but I sure have. I guess the upside is that I can do an injector swap in about 20 minutes.

------------------
87 IROC -
ZZ4 350
SLP T-Ram,1"3/4 SLP headers, Cat back, Hotch-kis, MSD, Iebach etc.
Old 03-15-2001, 05:41 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlp:
I dont know if you have had any problems tearring o-rings when installing the plenum but I sure have. I guess the upside is that I can do an injector swap in about 20 minutes.
</font>
...I know exactly what your speaking of there, that assembly step is an exact science for sure, and now that you printed the info from the installation instructions I do remember the write-up on the difference in injector lengths. Wish that would've dawned on me when I was putting mine back together, but I do remember considering using double gaskets at the time and then deciding that I still wouldn't be where I needed to be with them. Oh well, live and learn (again).

Thanx for diggin' out the info dude...appreciate it.

Happy Motoring...

------------------
jimbo

Mosquito Coast F-Body Association (MCFBA)

1991 Formula SLP350
1999 Trans Am Firehawk

[This message has been edited by jimbo (edited March 15, 2001).]