Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Hawks Fiberglass Wrap Around Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Hawks Fiberglass Wrap Around Spoiler

When I got the spoiler, I was impressed with the quality until I set it on the car. The right side "arm" of the spoiler if you will, stuck up ALOT, and was not even close to being right. I thought whatever, when I put the clips and bolt it down it would hold it down. So I got it painted and installed it Thursday night. Let me tell you I had one HELL of a time getting the thing on the car right. I was putting on the third brake light and it was all good. I put one bolt in, and noticed that the second hole was not lined up correctly, so it would be impossible to put in the second bolt. I could not drill another hole either, because it would overlap the existing hole. I was extremely unhappy... I mean extremely. I had to get some double sided 3M body tape to use on the side with no bolt. It worked good, but I was still pissed. I continued to install this thing by installing the little clips that go slide in the brackets on the hatch, and have my dad help me put it on. We get it in place and I tighten the bolts and it looked like absolute HELL. The right side was at least a half inch bent upwards, and you could see all of the brackets on the glass. I mean it looked absolutely horrible. We had to take it off AGAIN and I had to go to the store and get another bolt to stick into bracket to hold it down. So I get home put the bolt in and put it on the car. I had to use ALL of my strength to get this thing to bend down so the bolt was in the bracket. I was able to get it on the car and look good, but it took me the whole night.

Summary:

-If you are expecting perfect, this isn't it.
-If you are expecting easy to install, this is not for you.
-I had to bend this thing to wazoo to get in on the car right.
-When you paint it, make sure you ask them to put flex agent in the paint. I sure as hell am glad I asked for it.
-It took 3 people to help me bend this thing.
-It looks good as hell, but took ALOT of work

Name:  IMG_1171.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  111.8 KB
Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Re: Hawks Fiberglass Wrap Around Spoiler

i did a test fit on mine and im glad i red Nates writeup on his install and i knew what i was looking at when i test fit mine. go to the group purchas section and on page 2 or 3 Nate gives details on how to make it work and his cam out killer.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

here ya go, pg 2, post 86.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/grou...ss-wrap-2.html
Old 09-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27

Yeah, I did see that. I saw the pictures where he set it on the car before paint and mine was not even close to being as good as that. I don't know what happened with mine but it was screwed up. I mean you can see that its not perfect on the car in the picture. You can see the right side is not flush, It took me and three people a whole night just to get it that good. I am going to put some double sided tape in there so you cannot see the gap.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well bringing up an old thread. I fugured over the years the mold was fixed. But no, this is a piece of @!#$@ part. After poor communication and then this, this is a joke. My right hand side has too much bow to it and sits 1/2" high. And in my opinion the part is about 1/2" too narrow as well. My factory rubber looked better than this.

So now i have to mess with fit for another few days.