Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Why won't the B & M Console Megashifter work in an 88-92 Formula???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula Firehawk (Clone)
Engine: 350 with Firehawk Package
Transmission: 700R4
Why won't the B & M Console Megashifter work in an 88-92 Formula???

Just noticed B & Ms latest ad for the P/N 80692 Console Megashifter shows it'll fit 1982-1992 Camaro and Firebird except 88-92 Formula. I wasn't aware that the console in the TA and Firebird was different than the the one in the Formulas. I know for a fact that the Megashifter won't fit in my console though...the gear indicator plate that comes with it is larger than the cutout in my console. Does anyone know if just the plastic upper trim piece can be swapped out with a TA piece, or is the console itself also different.

TIA
Old 03-13-2001, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jimbo, how ya been, bruh? Long time since you been messin' with your 3rd gen?

The Megashifter will fit. There is no difference in the trans cables or mounting brackets. B&M is a few blocks from where I live. I called them on this about a year and a half ago. The only deal is the console cover plate. Apparently the Trans Am and the Formula console paltes are supposedly different. I can't see how that is, however. I have looked at both T/A's and Formula's with the auto trans and the console plate is the same including the gear indicator. The B&M kit is directed more towards Camaro's so the gear indicator in the kit and the console plate is for a Camaro. You need to adapt your Firebird console palte to fit. As for the difference between a T/A and the kit not fitting Formula's, B&M told me it was a matter of having to "slightly" trim the plastic console plate to make it fit. Since this is considered a "modification" they had to have a disclaimer saying it doesn't fit but it does in fact fit. Just need slight trimming of the console plastic cover plate. The base console and ratchet mounting stuff is all identical. I don't recall exactly anymore, but I am pretty sure it all came down to where the power window/mirror switches are mounted on the console cover plate in a T/A versus Formula.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body OrganizationŠ
Old 03-14-2001, 05:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula Firehawk (Clone)
Engine: 350 with Firehawk Package
Transmission: 700R4
Hi Tom...great hearing from you again dude. I just finished a new round of mods on the Formula...TFS 23 degree heads, new SLP cam, 1.6 rr's, 2400 stall converter, port matched the intake and 58 mm tb, went from a 160 to a 180 stat, and got a custom chip burned...she is running most fine indeed. I tried to install the B & M and was aware that a "little" trimming may need to be done, but on my console the shift plate on the B & M is considerably larger than the stock one...it would involve major trimming and it would look nasty when you were finished. I figured if the shifter would fit into a TA console with no mods I'd just buy that upper trim piece and replace mine.

I think I'll go down to the dealer at lunchtime and see if their parts book shows a dfferent piece for the TA, unless someone can post some close-up pics of a TA console...

Hey, really good hearing from you again Tom, and thasnx for the response...

jimb0

------------------
jimbo

Mosquito Coast F-Body Association (MCFBA)

1991 Formula SLP350
1999 Trans Am Firehawk