Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

The Parts Place, Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Parts Place, Inc.

This "business" (I think it's a guy) sells tons of stuff on E-bay. The guy suckered me big time, so I thought I'd warn others: check before you bid on E-bay for one of this guys things. His E-bay name is "thepartsplaceinc".

I bid on a dash pad. The auction said "made in USA by GM restoration parts" and "retails for over $400!!!". So I figured it was an OE style dash (vinyl over foam, etc.). When the thing showed up, it was this cheap injection moulded urethane piece of garbage.

I decided to try installing it anyway, but I only got as far as trying to attach my existing trim pieces. The trim fit with like 1/4" gap, and the A/C outlets were so tight they wouldn't turn.

Inside the package was a flier from "Dashesdirect.com", which lists suggested retail at $229. AND, dashesdirect.com is not "GM restoration parts", although they are a licensed make OF GM restoration parts. Double-speak to fool the gullible.

Anyway, I asked for my money back and all he'll say is "all E-bay sales are final". Great. So now I'm stuck with this junk. I'm trying to get money from a fraud claim through E-bay, but they are making the whole thing really torturous. They want a third party inspector to validate my claim... they have a mould you have to fit in where the listing says they will send X, but they send Y instead. My claim is that lies in the listing fooled me into bidding... but that's another story.

Anyway, avoid "thepartsplaceinc" on E-bay.

In hindsight, I'd avoid all private auctions on E-bay. I'm not sure what legitimate reason there is to have private auctions, but in this case they are preventing me from warning others who are about to make a mistake.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks
Slam his Ebay feedback, complain to ebay too. All may not be lost.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Cadillac
Slam his Ebay feedback, complain to ebay too. All may not be lost.
Man, I slammed his feedback, but he sells so much stuff that it scrolls off in 2 days:

Feedback

The negative ones are telling. The seller always slams the people as "clueless" and such. Better yet, when people gripe that the ad was misleading he says "you should have asked!". Like, it's "buyer beware" when you deal with me!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:11 PM

Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Did you pay with a credit card.....my reasoning....dispute the charges with your credit card company.....explain to them that you didn't get what was advertised -- he'll either make a concession or lose the cash.....hate to say it, but that's why I use a credit card on the internet -- disputing is a wonderful thing if someone trys to put the screws to you......just my opinion....
Old 08-16-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by leozimm
Did you pay with a credit card.....my reasoning....dispute the charges with your credit card company.....explain to them that you didn't get what was advertised -- he'll either make a concession or lose the cash.....hate to say it, but that's why I use a credit card on the internet -- disputing is a wonderful thing if someone trys to put the screws to you......just my opinion....
Unfortunately for me, I used Paypal. I filed a claim with them but they were totally useless. Basically they don't help out unless nothing shows up in the mail at all. The guy could have mailed me a broken toaster and Paypal would have blown me off.

Paypal is so much more convenient than a CC on E-bay!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:19 PM

Car: 91 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Did you use your checking account or credit with Paypal ......checking account and you are out of luck....
Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by leozimm
Did you use your checking account or credit with Paypal ......checking account and you are out of luck....
Checking.

Good thought though, I think I could have selected my CC during the paypal transaction. It's too bad paypal is so lame.