Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Discount Tire Direct - Awesome Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Discount Tire Direct - Awesome Service

I'll highly consider this vendor for my next tire purchase. I bought a wheel/tire pakage from them about a month before last winter, so I had only driven my Camaro to a couple of local shows before the winter blasted in.

Basically the car sat all winter, and I just began taking the car out. As a matter of fact, I had just gotten it back on the road literally 2 days before Thirdgenfest.

The morning after the fest, I went to the garage to discover my rear Nitto DR was flat. I fugured, well that's my luck and removed the tire to take it to the shop for repair. I found the hole...looked like a punchure towards the center tread of the tire. I dropped it off at Goodyear, and they removed the tire from the wheel and informed me that the tire could not be repaired.

Turns out the puncture was went right into the center bonding strip where the tire is put together, and a patch on the inside would not hold there. Plugging the tire was out of the question since it's a soft compound drag radial too.

I was quoted 200 bucks for a new tire by Goodyear, and a 3 day wait. By this time, I was pretty PO'd at my luck, and I took the wheel and tire home and I called Discount tire. I didn't expect them to do much, since I had bought these at least 6 months ago and I couldn't even find my reciept.

The guy on the phone was great, and offered to do something to help me out!! I told him I bought the wheels/tires from them about 6-7 months ago, and I had less than 200 miles on the things. I ended up ordering a new tire from them, at a 50% discount (91 bucks for the tire) - the only caveot was that I had to buy thier road warranty, which will now cover all 4 tires!! (I stupidly didn't get it when I bought the set).... I still ended up only paying 173 bucks, and my new tire is on it's way and should be here Wednesday!

Just thought I'd share...a LOT of other places wouldn't have given me the time of day. They still had me on file and knew which wheels and size tires I had from my original order!! I give them a thumbs up!

EDIT: And they don't even want to see the old tire, they said to throw it away...unless anyone needs an unrepairable new drag radial..lol

Last edited by Confuzed1; 06-01-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk
Re: Discount Tire Direct - Awesome Service

I have always had great experience with them, and all but one set of tires has been ordered through them just because they are the cheapest around 99% of the time.

But as to what was said above, I had a similar experience. Because of my ignorance, I tried to mount 4 of my own tires for the first time on a machine, and ended up damaging the bead on one of them. Called them the next day because it would not hold air, and gave them a story how I took the tires to be installed, said they screwed up and ripped the bead, and that the company I took it to would not take care of me for any reason. They ended up sending me a 5th matching tire for around $50 or $60 from a tire that was normally around $100, and still was free shipping. Great service, and very satisfied customer here!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

As an add-on, I ordered the tire on Friday afternoon at 3:30...and I UPS was dropping it off at my door on Tuesday afternoon!! Fast shipping too!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi, 3.23

I'll second Discount Tire Direct. I've never had to use their customer service since I've never had any problems with the tires I've boght from them but I've ordered two sets and was very pleased with the fast shipping, and FREE shipping!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

I've been impressed with America's Tire (their name for the retail shops) for many years now. I'd drive in for a flat repair expecting to pay around $12 for the repair. I'm handed the keys, "no charge". I didn't even buy the tires there and get free flat repair? It is that kind of service that sticks with you and you'll remember them next time you need tires. I needed tires for my truck recently and got a quote at COSTCO where I'd been buying them previously. Drove over to America's Tire for a quote. Got the quote, then came home with a nice set of Dunlops. While I was waiting in the lobby I saw a display for a book entitled "Six tires and no plan" about the founder of the tire chain. After reading the book I understand why I was treated so well. It has been their philosophy from the very beginning.

Lon
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM

I've ordered the last 4 sets of tires from Discount Tire Direct. They've ranged from 35" MT's for my Jeep, 2 sets of tires for my wife's car, and now just recently a set for my Camaro. Their shipping was amazing, I believe I had the Camaro's tires on my doorstep within 3 days.

They've consistently beaten the best prices by quite a bit each time. Just a note to future customers, call them. When I was still looking the first time I purchased from them, they dropped the price for my 35's by $75, and threw in the warranty for free when I mentioned I was getting prices to compare.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42's

I just purchased tires that I received just yesterday. Great prices and the shipping was FREE!