Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Hawks thirdgen selling knock offs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Re: Hawks thirdgen selling knock offs

Originally Posted by DonW
Moderator, Could you please lock this thread, delete it, and throw it out of your third gen doing 90 down the interstate? Hawks made a bad call. Ive made plenty in my line of work just as EVERYONE has. Im glad my mistakes dont get published for the world to see and have to deal with 3 YEARS after I had apologized multiple times. Hawks has dealt with this long enough, and has been a great source for the parts we need. This thread is childish and shouldnt be on TGO any longer IMHO
Thanks,
Don
Please DO NOT delete this thread. I agree with locking it however since it seems to have ran it's course.

This thread will help others make an informed decision on which vendor they wish to do business with in the future.....otherwise, you may as well delete this entire board.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

This should help folks make a fair decision....

I've known Bruce for 15 years and he's always been there for the 3rd Gen community. My white 91 RS, Black 91 convertible, 99 Trans Am and 72 vette have all benefited from parts or services Hawks provided. Bruce is the one of an elite few shop owners I was willing to trust with the total restoration of my beloved near 400,000 mile Camaro. Based on his history of open honest communication and support for our 3rd Gens I selected Hawks. Bruce delivered on all points.

When issues came up during the restoration of my RS Camaro, we were able to resolve them with simple, clear respectful communication. Being reasonable and calm goes a long way when issues come up.

Bruce and the staff at Hawks receive much unjustified critism for their rare mis-steps. I hope people will look at the whole and decide rather than the exception.

This thread should have been locked long ago.

Best Regards,
Wade
Old 03-04-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Did you read whole thread. My issue is how much of a pompous *** Bruce came across as earlier when thread was started.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 AM

Yes, I have read the whole thread.

I've also read thousands of emails and text messages and learned a long time not to read too much into the text that's written when it comes to making judgements about emotions and feelings.

I form my opinions of people based on their actions not so much based on words. I've seen Bruce in action take care of problems that in many cases shop owners would simply turn their back on. Tuning an LSXRT intake with 102TB can be very difficult to get exactly right. Many shops will call it quits at about 90% of driveability. Bruce and the staff diligently worked with my car and got the issues resolved and stood behind their work. That shows real character. Likewise with resolving a hood issue the car had.

I would say the real test of character is what your actions show when real issues occur. Results, service and excellent proudcts for our 3rd Gen matter to me not political correctness and word smithing at the keyboard.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:26 AM

Ya. Except for the fact that he should be setting an example as a professional and a business man. I personally after reading thread wouldnt buy one thing from him when I can take my business elsewhere. But that's just me.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:28 AM

And by reading your signature, yes he would go the extra mile to help you. Cause half your car is money in his pockets . But for someone who buys one or two smaller items I see the same story about customer service when things don't work rigjt.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 AM

I had the same excellent level of service over the last fifteen years. My first purchse from Hawks was in 2001 to get a heater box and some other stuff for my white RS after my wife had totaled the car. Bruce and I walked out to the dozen or so parts cars he had at the time and pulled the parts. I spent about $250 or so if my memory serves. I can probably find the thread on this board from 2001 about my RS being totalled and the fight to save the car. Over the next dozen years I purchased parts as I needed them. Typically less than $250 worth at a time.

I'm the jerk that called and woke up Bruce & BJ at like 5 a.m. In the morning back in 2002 or so to order a cargo cover. It was like a $135 with shipping. Same excellent service.

I was that recently divorced and nearly broke guy that showed up needing a rear white RS 16 inch rim in 2008 that had a whole $75 to spend on car parts. I know for a fact Bruce could have spent his time more profitably that evening doing something other than helping me find a nice rim for my then beat up 300,000 mile daily driver. I was respectful of his time after getting the rim paid for it said thank you and left. Not the time to chat about the 383 LS1 engine sitting in my garage that I was too broke to install in my old 3rd Gen. The ls1 for RS took 14 years to make happen but that's another story.

See I've dealt with Hawks when my money was very limited at times over the last 15 years so I know for a fact if I as a customer got good service regardless of how much or how little I spent. That was a key reason Hawks got my white RS restoration project.

These are the consistent actions by Hawks, Bruce and staff I've seen that speak louder than words.

Sometimes it can be a battle to get parts to work right...it goes with the nature of hot rodding and dealing with older cars...I've had some real fun with my 72 vette along those lines over the years. There are many bad vendors. Back in 2003 I busted one wide open for selling so called ported LS6 heads. We measure port volumes and flowed the heads. They were stock. The vendor had confirmed they were his heads and ported. He literally begged me not to post the flow and offered products and services. That guy was a lair cheating his customers and I posted the data. That's the sort of parts issue I get hot about. Or selling parts and not delivering and just taking someones money.

Later those virgin headers were sent to TEA and ported. They are now on my RS's 383LS1.

Last edited by Arctic White 91 RS; 03-06-2016 at 01:57 AM.