Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

My experience with hawks motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with hawks motorsports

About six months ago I spend about $1400 on a custom Ls swap harness and ECU tune. I should preface this by saying this is my first time doing an Ls swap/swap in general so I’m pretty inexperienced i.e why I spent way more than I could’ve on a harness. I wanted quality and ease of install, but my time dealing with hawks as been anything but.
Like I said I bought a harness and tune from hawks about 5-6 months ago it took them about 5 months(3 months over the lead time) to deliver my products, and there not even complete. Apparently they lost my signed for package with big bold sharpie letters stating ATTN: GUYS NAME for three months and in that time they ignored any follow up email and calls. After about three months I received a call from the guy mentioned above blaming Fed-Ex for loosing the box but like I said it was signed for about 6 days after I sent it off, and I was able to verify all that with fedex customer support. He then called back the next day stating that policies have changed and I need to pay asap or they won’t build my harness so of course I paid and I also mentioned what I learned from fed ex. And he brushed it off saying they’ll make it up for it by expediting my order. So I paid and he had it done in about two weeks arrived at my house week ish after that but it was missing items and had some issues. The main thing im missing is any sort of paper including instructions which to a lot of people may not be a big deal but like I said it’s my first time. And It’s also got improperly pinned connectors. So i reached back out and after a month with several emails and calls which any hardly where answered and of the ones that where went to voicemail I finally got a response back. Turns out the guy I was working with no longer works at hawks motorsports and from the tone of this guys voice and my experience with him I doubt it was a happy ending to his employment. This new guy assured my that I should’ve gotten these instructions and he got me in contact with I believe to be someone who works in the shop themselves. By the time everyone reads this that would’ve been three days ago and I have yet to hear anything back.
And I just have to finish this off by saying I have never spoke ill about a company online before nor do I take pleasure in being a Karen, any one of these problems(late and absent customer service, abysmally late product, being lied too, broken product, missing product) would never warranted this essay of a review but when I spend 1400 on what everyone here says is a wonderful company and this is how I’m treated its definitely is warranted. Also not sure how many people see this but ofc I do have receipts of everything can’t just make accusations like this without them. I will be calling tomorrow so I’ll do a follow up on this thread, I just really needed to get this out there. Thanks for reading
Old 01-11-2024, 02:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:92
Re: My experience with hawks motorsports

1400 a terminator X would have cost you the same and would have been an easy install, it all comes down to buyer beware....I find Hawks ok but pricey on their items, I definitely shop around, It's one thing to pay but not getting what was promised and then the poor customer service!

Hopefully they come good, please keep us updated.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Hawks 8.8

It's really hard to read the wall of text, maybe I'm just getting old.

Was this a custom made harness that they made for you or an off the shelf part?

It does sound like they are dealing with some turnover if the old support person wasn't available and the guy you got is working the shop. It's not a JEGs or a Classic Industries, its a family shop. I've used them tons of times in the past both for new and used parts and never experienced anything like this. I've always had great support from one of the family members when I called, perhaps next time ask to speak to Bruce or Tyler
The following 2 users liked this post by StevenK:
sodak (01-11-2024), ughmas (01-13-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 09:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 RS
Engine: No Engine at the moment!
Transmission: TKX - On the transmission stand!
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Thanks for throwing all this out there. I do know that Hawks outsources those harness builds to another vendor. At this point, Hawks is the middleman in this scenario so maybe that is a little bit why it feels disjointed. I imagine they will make things right in the end...

Sorry about your experience!
Old 01-11-2024, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by StevenK
It's really hard to read the wall of text, maybe I'm just getting old.

Was this a custom made harness that they made for you or an off the shelf part?

It does sound like they are dealing with some turnover if the old support person wasn't available and the guy you got is working the shop. It's not a JEGs or a Classic Industries, its a family shop. I've used them tons of times in the past both for new and used parts and never experienced anything like this. I've always had great support from one of the family members when I called, perhaps next time ask to speak to Bruce or Tyler
Yes it’s custom made I had to send in both my stock third gen harness and Ls harness so they could make something new out of the two
Old 01-11-2024, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by badtenant
Thanks for throwing all this out there. I do know that Hawks outsources those harness builds to another vendor. At this point, Hawks is the middleman in this scenario so maybe that is a little bit why it feels disjointed. I imagine they will make things right in the end...

Sorry about your experience!
I believe they source it from PSI. Not sure if the whole harness is but if you put hawks and psi harnesses next to each other there really close. Not to mention the psi bag mine showed up in. Maybe they take a normal off the shelf harness from psi and make changes to it to fit my specs.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:01 AM

Interesting...I talked with BP Automotive about a 3rd gen harness last year and they said they built the harnesses for Hawks and I could only go through Hawks to buy one. I wonder if something changed
Old 01-11-2024, 11:02 AM

Did you get your original harnesses back with the new one?
Old 01-11-2024, 11:11 AM

Did you get your original harnesses back with the new one?
Yeah, I got both back
Old 01-11-2024, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by IROC YA
1400 a terminator X would have cost you the same and would have been an easy install, it all comes down to buyer beware....I find Hawks ok but pricey on their items, I definitely shop around, It's one thing to pay but not getting what was promised and then the poor customer service!

Hopefully they come good, please keep us updated.
Holley was my first choice but someone here mentioned how hawks makes harnesses to fit and it sounded like the least trouble. But Holley will definitely be my next harness.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 87.Pos
Yeah, I got both back
In one piece or with a few of the connectors cut off?
Old 01-11-2024, 04:56 PM

In one piece or with a few of the connectors cut off?
I believe everything’s I’m one piece but I’m not to sure. I haven’t looked
Old 01-11-2024, 04:58 PM

So I called them back today spoke with Ryan and he apologized for everything and he said he could give me a 20% discount on a fuel system. I also was finally able to get my instructions
The following users liked this post:
ughmas (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 09:20 AM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '90 Formula '88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI 350 TPI
Transmission: T5 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by 87.Pos
So I called them back today spoke with Ryan and he apologized for everything and he said he could give me a 20% discount on a fuel system. I also was finally able to get my instructions
glad to hear they are making it right. I just bought thousands of dollars of parts from them recently and had a great experience. Ryan was amazing, tyler and bruce were also very helpful and thorough.