Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Rear Hatch out of alignment...What is the proper procedure for alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

p.s. Ive tried using the haynes manual!

------------------
89Formula 5.0 5speed with 3.45
4-disks
and a
70camino <---tacorocket!
Old 09-14-2000, 10:04 AM

you basically have to loosen the four main screws at the top of the glass and move the hatch until it looks straight then tighten them back down. It works a lot better with 2 people and it will loosen up after so many months. Don't tighten the bolts down to tight b/c you can break the glass. The nuts are under the plastic piec above the back seats. That plastic piece will crack very easily if you over tighten the srews holding it up there also. Don't take the hatch all the way off unless you have 2 people because it is heavy and you need 2 people to put it back on. You may have to undo the support shocks on the hatch to properly adjust the hatch but have someone holding the hatch when you do. Best way I found was have one person holding the hatch up and moving it until where it looked stright then tightening down the bolts enough to hold the hatch, then let the hatch down easily to see how far off the alignement still is then raise it back up and loosen up one side more than the other and repeat the process. You will usually get one side very close while the other is off so tighten that side down while you try and get he other side a little closer. It can be a pain but have patience and Good luck!

I've taken mine off twice to try and fix some spot rust forming in between the hatch and the roof of the car and to fix the rust around the edge of the hatch on that black metal rim..looks a lot better with it sanded down and repainted than before. It was a good time to re-align the hatch, however my wrap around spoiler is so deformed that it is still rubbing against the body of the car even though the hatch is aligned.

------------------
1988 TA 300+hp 350 w/ TBI and Holley TB unit,
WC T-5, 3.42 gears w/ Auburn posi. MSD 6A, edelbrock TES headers, dynomax 3" cat and cat-back system, ACCEL coil, polyurethane bushings all around, aluminum driveshaft, Mr. Gasket open air cleaner.

2000 GMC Sierra Regular Cab Stepside
285hp 5.3L w/ 3.42 gears and locking diff.
Old 09-14-2000, 10:05 AM
Kat
Supreme Member

Car: Camaro Vert
Engine: 355 HSR
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 S60
Which way side to side, front to back, or up ad down?

If it is any of those you have to unbolt the glass from the top and adjust it that way.

Kat

------------------
90 RS 305 TBI A4
Dumb ***/**** poor/orginating memeber of the infamous NE Crew
Time to see, believe this in me,This pain that i feel deep inside
Old 09-14-2000, 10:26 AM

There are small slots in the bracket the bolts go through that allow for adjustment. I've always just had my dad moving the hatch while I tightened and unloosened the bolts until we got it aligned back up. It's basically a trial and error process.

------------------
1988 TA 300+hp 350 w/ TBI and Holley TB unit,
WC T-5, 3.42 gears w/ Auburn posi. MSD 6A, edelbrock TES headers, dynomax 3" cat and cat-back system, ACCEL coil, polyurethane bushings all around, aluminum driveshaft, Mr. Gasket open air cleaner.

2000 GMC Sierra Regular Cab Stepside
285hp 5.3L w/ 3.42 gears and locking diff.