Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

rubber undercoating? suggestions? use truck-bed coating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO w/TBI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/3.73s
rubber undercoating? suggestions? use truck-bed coating?

i want to take my '91 RS and undercoat it, but i am not sure what to use. i know there are all those "rubberized undercoating" products at pep boys, etc., but how do they work? i am also thinking of taking that stuff they sell for the beds on pick up trucks and putting a coat or two of that stuff under there. i want good protection from stones, etc. what have you guys used? how did you apply it? i am assuming that teh best way to do it is to strip it down till it's clean (not baer metal...just clean) then throw a few coats of primer on it. what's next, paint then possobly clear coat? or jsut put the undercoating right on the primer? any suggestions would be great.
-brian

------------------
1991 Camaro RS
----------------------------------------------
Ultra Blue Metallic, T-Tops

GM 350 HO Crate Engine - Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake, Holley 670 CFM Throttle Body, Open Air Cleaner w/14"x3" K&N, Edelbrock TES Headers, Edelbrock Victor Series Water Pump, Accell Superstock Wires, Cap, and Rotor, MSD Blaster Coil, Hypertech Fan Switch & Thermomaster Chip, AC Delco Rapidfires, 3" Cat Back, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler

700R4 - 2,400 Stall Converter, Vette Servo, Shift Kit, B&M Transcooler

Brian's 1991 RS

Central NY F-Body Association
Old 09-24-2000, 08:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
If your old undercoat isn't is too bad of shape (i.e.) big chunks missing) just clean and spray new undercoat right over it. If you're going for some sort of show car finish you can strip the old, maybe rough the old paint/metal if you want and apply the undercoat. if you're taking it down to bare metal tho,, be sure to use a zinc primer or cold galvanizing 'primer'. I've always had good luck with Duplicolor rubber undercoat and have been wondering about using some of the truck bed liner spray myself,,, might have to go get a can and try it out sometime. As far as paint goes,, there's not much point in that,, but that's up to you. From what I see,,factory cars now are just painted in the fenderwell without undercoating anymore. I guess paint is getting that good.

------------------
<A HREF="http://anzwers.org/free/gta" TARGET=_blank>87 Firebird
84 Camaro</A>
Virtual Racing

- intelligence is learned, ignorance is universal
Old 09-25-2000, 07:09 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I'm just curious as to why you want to undercoat it. If you're trying to slow down the rusting process, don't even bother if you already have rust. Spraying over rust doesn't slow it down at all. If you have a good undercarrage and don't drive it winters, I wouldn't spray it either. If you have a good undercarrage and you do plan to run it in the salt, then the undercoating can help somewhat if you're able to get it into the pits and crevaces and those types of places that can actually harbor and hold salt.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah