Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Alternate headlights for Firebirds...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternate headlights for Firebirds...

I was driving the other night, and across the intersection at a stop sign there was a bright set of headlights, though not too bright, but they were way close to the ground. The blinkers on this car (I couldn't even make out what it was) were higher and to the outside of the headlights.

For a moment I thought it was a Prowler or PT Cruiser or something, then we both drove past eachother, and I could see it was a 3rd gen Firebird! He had mounted a set of fog lights under the nose, and had them ained so they worked as well or better then regular headlights! It looked great, especially since he had his regular lights down, so it still had the very sleek look.

Does anyone know if this is actually legal though? I con't think they thought of a law THAT specific, but any input before I sink time and money only to get a ticket?

Thanks ahead.

------------------
Reno
'88 Firebird LB8
"Cerberus"
Now: rusting on a side street til I get out of college

Plans: BUILT 3.4 motor with B&M racing tranny, Hotchkis suspension all around, lowering 1", Accel ignition all around, Splitfire plugs, 88 front bumper, ASCD Ram Air I hood, 91 GTA spoiler, formula wheels, Firehawk tires, restored interior (first on list)
Old 09-20-2000, 08:48 PM

The only thing i can think of is that you can put on high beams... Also CA has a law against modifying lighting equiment in any way I believe, even clear tail lamps with red bulbs are illegal

------------------
1986 LG4 Z28
6x9 Alpine's
2 MTX 10's run by 250W MTX amp
Soon to have Hooker Aerochamber cat-back
Soon to have a bra (gag! but the front paint is hurting bad)
Old 09-25-2000, 02:39 PM

Maybe it was one of the Knight Rider conversions? I've seen some w/three sets of fog lights down there or something. I wouldn't think it would be legal to run only with those, though.
Old 09-25-2000, 05:04 PM

Nope, just 2 foglights underneath. I"m thinking I'll get a pair and see what happens. If they're a visibility problem for me, I can just turn on my headlights, right? Besides, there's always the ignorance plea: "My lights aren't on officer? damn those fog lights, always confusing me..."

-Reno