Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car not trying to turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Car not trying to turn over

OK, have a problem that seem to be happening random. I will come out to my car and it will not start. The lights turn on, the radio turns on, pump primes, security light comes on and then turns off after a second. I go to crank and nothing. It reminds me of the time my vats went out, No click, no pop, but it can't be because the security light doesn't come back on or flash. The battery seems good the volt gauge in the car registers it as having the usual power plus its only two months old. After the two method described below the car seems to have no problem firing up like new and the next non-start one seems completely random.

The two method that seem to get it back on the road.
Method one: jump start. strange enough even the smallest of jump starts will push it to let it crank with no problem. Its not even long. clip and turn and the engine is up in running.

Method two: Try and repeat. Keep trying then suddenly its like it clicks into place and the car starts up like its the first time you turned the key.

Once the car decides its going to even try to start it will starts up strong.
Battery is good. Its two months old and last time I got it checked at autozone 3 weeks ago, they said it was fine, said the alternator is also good. No power leaks, while I have not used a meter on it. The car sits most weekends and will start up on first try no problem, no extra crank.

Any help, troubleshooting would be great.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: Car not trying to turn over

Next time it won't start, get a volt meter and check to see if you have voltage to the starter solenoid at the little post (purple wire) when you try to start the car. If you have battery voltage then the solenoid is probably the problem. If you don't have voltage at the starter, check your starter enable relay and the neutral safety switch to see if they are passing power. This is all done with the key in start position so you will need an assistant. GL!
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (02-02-2020)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: l98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373s

Also check the wire and make sure it isn't grounding on the block. Make sure good connections too, clamp/corrosion/bare wire/abrasion. I replaced 3 starters before I found out the wire end to the starter was bent and ground out. No starter most times, but push start fine.
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (02-02-2020)
Old 10-06-2015, 04:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

You can jump the VATS starter enable relay connecter and if it cranks every time its VATS acting up.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 5.0 TBI
Transmission: Automatic

That’s what I have now replaced all I could buy and still nothing but starterelay bypas and cranks all day long !
got power everywhere but the crank fuse PPL wire dead ?