Confused about turn signal parts - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Confused about turn signal parts

Old 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Confused about turn signal parts

My car is a 1985 IROC-Z with tilt wheel.

A couple of years ago, I posted that I was having two turn signal problems. If I put the right turn signal on, it worked fine but didn't shut off. If I put the left turn signal on, it would immediately shut off with any little bump or turn of the wheel. So if I was turning left, I had to be 100% still before putting the signal on or it would just shut right off.

Based on some of the responses I got, I replaced the cancel cam. It took care of the right signal not shutting off, but did nothing for the problem with the left signal. I've been driving it as-is, but I'm a bit tired of it and figured I'd bite the bullet and replace the switch.

However, in doing some research, I found this and I'm not sure what it does, exactly or how it relates to the switch and cancel cam:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...t/model/camaro

The part I originally replaced is this:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...188_0373685917

When I did the original replacement, I didn't see anything else broken, I checked to make sure everything was tight, etc.

So, my questions are: what is that top cam, and should that be replaced? Or is that part of the switch? I'm not worried about cost, I'd rather replace everything all at once and put this to bed once and for all - I just don't know what parts I need to order. Is that cam above (not the cancel cam, the other one) a separate part I should get? The fact that both sides work lead me to believe the problem isn't with the switch itself, but should I replace it anyway?
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Re: Confused about turn signal parts

The Summit part IS the turn signal switch. The lever attaches to it, the contacts that are in there now get re-used and inserted into it, and the 2 little round springs are involved with cancelling the TSs; one cancels from a left, one from a right.

The NAPA part is part of the horn switch. The column has a brush that rubs against the ring part of it so the horn button always works as you turn the wheel. It has the part that bumps up against the cancel springs to actuate that function; it's part of a sort of collar that sticks out of one side of it.

You can get the same thing at any parts store for about the same price. Very common part. Was the same in all GM cars for A REALLY LONG TIME so there's like billions of em on the road.

If you replace both of those parts, preferably paying careful attention so that as you take it apart you don't break the horn wire plastic connector thing, you have basically renewed the entire system completely. Should take care of the problem.
sofakingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #3

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Re: Confused about turn signal parts

Great! Thank you for the quick response.
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote