Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Fighting Oxidation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fighting Oxidation

Hi Guys,
My car has the metallic Polo Green paint that is pretty common for '91 GTA's. On the top the clear has broken down and is getting chalky white (right in the middle, the size of a dinner plate). In one spot, the clear is worn all the way through. There is no checking or cracking, but it looks terrible.

I know that the best way to fix this is to give it a good sanding and repaint the top, but is there anything I can do to make it look better in the meantime? I've tried rubbing compound and then wax, but I end up with a smooth shiny white spot :-|

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2001, 11:45 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Instead of wax, get a good polish like zymol or something thats decent, and not cheap s**t. I'm not saying go out and buy a $50 dollar bottle, just a good brand. Buff that into your paint real nice, but not hard enough to cause scratches. I did this to my 86 TA, which has all sorts of oxidation marks embedded in the paint(its time for new paint), and it did help a little after I buffed off the dried polish. Its worth a try.

------------------
1986 5.0 TPI Trans Am
Random Tech Cat
Two Chamber Flowmaster Muffler
Megs Custom 4.5" Stainless Steel Tips
1999 Grand Am GT In-Dash CD Player w/Equalizer(fits like '86 original)
5% Tint On Rear, 35% On Sides
Old 03-29-2001, 04:50 PM

Thanks. I've tried polish, but I will try some other brands to see if it will make a difference.

Any other ideas out there? Are there any products that can make it stay wet looking? When it's wet it doesn't stand out so much.

Thanks again.