Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Specific spray paint to use for the nose/engine bay? What to cover in engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L v6
Transmission: 700
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Specific spray paint to use for the nose/engine bay? What to cover in engine bay?

Hey folks I have some paint chips due to rocks and this damn bird that flew into the nose of my car! Stupid thing, needless to say I found him dead up against the radiator.

Was wondering if there is any specific type of spray paint I have to get for the plastic? If not would that Krylon paint made for plastics work just fine?

Also can I just use a can of Krylon spray paint for the engine bay?

Last question, what do I need to cover up on the engine when cleaning it? I know the distributor has to get bagged up, what else?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 PM

Re: Specific spray paint to use for the nose/engine bay? What to cover in engine bay?

are you talking about painting the bumper? cause its not gonna last long or look good if you paint it with spray paint. as for cleaning the engine, cover the distributor and the alternator. and just try and keep the water away from anything electrical.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Re: Specific spray paint to use for the nose/engine bay? What to cover in engine bay?

Yea the front nose. The chips arent anything major, it's just tiny dots that I can just take a fine tip paint brush to.

I just don't feel like payin bookoo dollars just to get the nose sprayed.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Car: 1987 Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Modified T-5 World class
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt borg-warner 3.45

A paint shop can probably make you a bottle of touch up paint matched to your car's paint. Use a small brush and dap it on.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Is there a way to find out the exact name of the color? If I'm not mistaken there's a code somewhere (is it the codes on the sticker in the center console?) that gives that info right?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Modified T-5 World class
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt borg-warner 3.45

If I'm not mistaken the paint codes are either on a decal in you driver's door jam or under the hood somewhere. They might be in the center consule as well. I'd still try to get a paint shop to match it since you now have a 17 year-old paint job the color on your car is different than the original color due to fading, environmental pollutants ect. My White car's paint had to be matched at the bodyshop since the white had changed slightly from the factory color it was painted with 20 years ago.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Yea thats true about the fading. Thing is idk if the original color is blue or red. I have a little chip on the side view mirror and it shows red. The guy I bought it from said him and his buddy sprayed it.

If the code turns out to be red I'll just back to that guy and see if he's willing to touch it up.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

a note on fading, when having chromolusion strips painted on our motorhome, the body shop tech told me he could repaint my storage conpartment door (i had repainted it with a paint that was dang near close) i said well heck even if i order the proper color from the factory it may be fadeed and then he brought out this thingy and put it up to the paint, took it into the office and siad, Here i got the exact formula to match you paint including any fade, so to make a long story short, if the guy you bought it from cant help you go to a good body shop with a paint scanner and get them to make you up a small "touch up" can, BTW you cant tell that conpartment door was ever repainted, it matches perfect now

On the motor cleaning i did automotive detailing for a while and we never coverd anything......LOL, but i do cover my own breather/alt/dist ..... a note on that if you get water in your alt and it wants to not put out good spray WD 40 in it ..... just like new
Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 T.P.I.
Transmission: 700R4

All the parts stores...Advance,Auto zone etc... sell Dupli Color touch up paint which matches perfectly its like a little "pen brush" filled with paint. Just find out your paint code and go pick it out there.