Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350 TPI
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Paint job

Hey wassup. I was wondering if anyone new a good paint shop near Newburgh NY 12550? I dont wanna have to travel to far. Also when getting a car painted the way I describe below, how long does it usually take? Theres a Maaco near me, but I dont know if they are anygood. Anyone have experience with them? Do they back their paint, warranty wise? If so, how if anyone knows? Im not looking for a cheap job. Something considerable in quality, but not over the top. Im looknig to have the car completely sanded down just very minor body work. Have them fix a few dings here and there. Theres no serios rust with holes or anything like that. Just a few surface spots. I was gonna sell the car because I wanted a GTA, though so far I havent gotten any serious offers. Just a bunch a phone calls with people saying they are gonna stop by, but they never do and I wouldnt buy a GTA until I sold this one. So it looks like I might go with my original plan of restoring her. Its a 89 Formula 350 TPI. Anyways. Any general tips on getting a car painted, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. If anyone is curious as to what it might look like right now or if they might be interested in purchasing it, heres the link to where I posted it forsale with a bunch of pics. Thanks. As I said above, even if you dont a place nearby me or anything, general tips on getting my car painted are appreciated. Thanks again.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fire...d-formula.html

Last edited by Robb Knight; 02-07-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Forgot link to car pictures
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44
Re: Paint job

i dont kno any local places for you, but i have read a lot about macco, good and VERY BAD, in some threds, so a search for macco paint will give you the details on them
Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 AM

maaco can be good if your looking for a cheapy but the specialize in a scuff and shoot meaning minor body work they dont remove anything which causes bad tape lines and eventually paint peeling....as far as backing theyre work bear in mind their prices are usually substantially lower to do an all over job then other shops..therefore they get by with putting out some horrible work...as far as how long it takes that really depends on how busy the shop is..where i work if we take on an all over its typically going to be there roughly 2 weeks depending on how busy we are....if your looking to save some money stick with maaco but remember you get what you pay for...not sure what the paint labor rate is but down here ints 42 bucks an hour walk in which means its an average of $4500 for an allover...and thats a starting price...but our work is very high quality hope this helps......btw if you do get it painted be sure not to wax for approx 60 days...waxing it will trap the paint solvents resulting in solvent pop loss of gloss and possible loss of adhesion...also voids any refinish warranty
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 AM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350 TPI
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI

I greatly appreciate the advice. I think I might stay clear from them. Im gonna visit a few places and get some quotes. Usually Im sure good places would have pics and what not of their work. So I'll look to see if I can see what they've done.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Too many cars

I say check your better bussiness bereau if you have one, if not ask around usually the word of mouth is the best, & check out a few car shows & get the answers your looking for.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

be wary of pictures, a car can look like it has AMAZING paint in a pic, but be a 5 footer. i know this first hand, see an add online, looks nice, see the car in person, total POS. has hail damage, scratches.... just ask for there names of the best jobs/customers and look um up in the phone book, find out what show they'll be at, and take a look at the actual car painted from that shop. one last thing, if you dont have to wait a while to get into the paint booth, RUN AWAY. goods shops always have a wait