Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

New coolant catch can

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Z03 RS
Engine: (L03) 305TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: bone stock
New coolant catch can

I have had this summit bottle ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...8/?image=large ) sitting around forever. I bought it and quit driving the car, and in not driving the car and a lot of other hurdles in life, I never got around to putting it on the car. Partially, because I wasn't sold on the location for it to bolt on. So its been sitting in a box with the rest of my thirdgen/auto stuff (one of the many boxes) and I finally planned it out.

My most favorite alternative to replacing the old bottle with a nice bleachy new one has so far been the 4th gen bottle/battery tray. However, I'm kinda sketchy about cutting a hole that big out of the car, and I don't have the torch to do it with anyways. The summit bottle only requires you to drill two holes. All you gotta buy is a new hose and clamps. The bottle has a drain valve and is much thicker plastic than the OE tank.

Here is the car before. I have long ditched the washer bottle. Please excuse my rust colored boat anchors. They will be painted soon.

I pulled the battery out and crawled under the car to see how i wanted it positioned and where i would need to drill. You can see here that the new hose (5/16) is fed through the existing hole in the car (the largest hole in the top right corner). I spot sprayed some rust spots and the holes I had to drill. It looks sketchy but this is temporary until I paint the majority of the engine bay one day. See where the OE tanks scratch the paint off?

This kinda gives you an idea of how it looks. Its actually completely out of site, if you want it hidden drill near the front of the battery tray like this...

And of course.......the finished product. abra cadabra. Took all of 15 minutes.

Guys, you really just have to put your head to it when it comes to stuff like this. My second option would have been this bottle I pulled out of a buick or something at the junkyard, I would have mounted it on the passengers side fender next to the horn, only prob was it snugged up to the evap canister so I would have to move it. This was much easier, and although those welded ex$pensive tanks look sweet, you can't beat $20 and 15 min and get this clean. Thanks for reading. (this is for newbies)
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Formula Firebird
Engine: LSX-451 / 705HP
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser Ford 9" with 4.30
Re: New coolant catch can

Looks good, but the only thing I see that might be problem in the coolant returning to the radiator, it maybe be low. Also you won't be able to see the level in the overflow.

Eric
Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: LG4 305ci 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt open diff.

check this out
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CT...3/?image=large
Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by punkdude908
Oh, that's sexy.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Yeah, I know its kinda hard to see through, there is a little visibilty with a flashlight. Those aluminum tanks are what I was talking about, just too much money for something holding coolant, unless you have that kinda money to throw around.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

good job man, always a good idea to clean up the engine bay.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Thanks guys! My heater core actually just went out and im finding coolant in my pass floorboard now so I'm gonna have to bypass it sometime this weekend, no biggie, it doesnt get that cold in Augusta, I have always had to wear a jacket in the winter anyways cuz the car doesnt 'seal' that cold air out as well as it did back in 92.