Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Hood Louver and Plastics Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em
Hood Louver and Plastics Restoration

First off, hey guys, how's everyone doing? I haven't posted in a while, so I figured this would be something decent to post about. Of course, a joke of mine is always included.

Okay, back on topic! I've been meaning to get around to buying a new louver for a long time, since my driver's side louver was cracked. I actually went to the junkyard today, lucked out, and found a 1986 Z28. Which I need to go back and buy a fender from, but that's another lil' project for another day.

I washed the louvers in hot water and soap first, of course, then some mineral spirits, and used Dupli-Color Trim Paint for the other plastics, (grille and CHMSL). I didn't get around to painting the louvers today, since the sun went down, and I did not want to paint inside the garage.

I'll add a few pictures of what I've done so far.

Washed. (As good as water and soap could do.)

Before picture of my CHMSL. Which I still don't know if I'm going to use or not, since I have the spoiler from a 1988 IROC-Z, with the third brake light. I might've blown 50 dollars for nothing, because I may go back to the CHMSL. I hate it, but it's neat to me, it's just for 86's.

Sorry for the lack of good pictures, but I'll update with decent pictures of the painted CHMSL and grille in the morning, probably as soon as the sun comes up. Later in the day tomorrow I'll update again, with painted pictures of the louvers.

Oh yeah, second post to follow, of my lil' joke of the day. Enjoy!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Hood Louver and Plastics Restoration

Hah, so as you'll see, I got bored, and had a cracked louver laying around, and gold spray paint.

Pimpin'? I think so.

If you like what you see, PM me. I'll be glad to offer my services, and professionally spray paint your louvers, gold!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

I finally got pictures of my painted CHMSL housing, and the front grille. I was kind of diappointed, because I never noticed it, but it looks like there was glue or something on my grille. I didn't even notice it while washing, but it definitely showed up. Oh well, no biggy. I may just buy a newer grille in the future, or attempt to sand mine down with very fine sandpaper.

Other than that, I was rather happy with the results. Considering that it only costed 16 dollars. I got the used hood louver for a whole 10 dollars, and bought Dupli-Color Trim Paint for only 6.

Maybe my pictures will be a nice bit of inspiration for others to go out and clean up andpaint their plastics.

CHMSL housing painted.

Grille painted. (Front)

Grille painted. (Back)

Louver painted, just a minute or so after I finished.

Both Louvers painted. The passenger side louver is only semi dry.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Here's a before picture of my louvers on the hood, so I can compare when I set the painted louvers on the hood later today, and take a picture in the sun.

A group picture of the few plastics I've done so far, just to show the depth they have now. Sure does beat that sun-dried moldy look.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude those look new lol. i should do that with my grill, the rs has grill insert on it, and i need to clean mine up lol.

I love the louvers, but my car don't have those

oh one question, what is that other thing in the last picture you posted?
i know the louvers and the grill, but not the scoop looking thing.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM

well now i see that its a chmsl housing after i looked harder lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Yep, it's the CHMSL. Only 1986's had them, which is why I think I'm going to keep it. I spent 50 dollars on a 1988 IROC-Z third brake light spoiler, but I'm probably not going to use it now.

You could easily just buy a used IROC louver hood if you want. There's IROC hoods for sale on here for sometimes less than 200 dollars. I've really grown to be what you'd call a 'purist' of the auto world. I used to want an aftermarket/custom look, but I want my IROC to appear completely stock now. Although, I have an unoriginal 350.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 AM

thats cool, i know that my car has the hidden 3rd brakelight. which is cool, but i sometimes wish i had the iroc look.

when you say thirdbrake light spoiler, do you mean theres a light in the spoiler? i dont have a spoiler on my car, thats one thing i need to buy lol.

but yea, thats how i am right now, i wanna make this car into a streat racer mussle car hybrid, but still let it hold the camaro name, i have little mods like im gona give it a custom lip kit, and leave the bumpers stock. and for the hood i really wanna try and make a mustang style hood for it, with the scoop in the middle, and tie it into my intake (which is one reason i want a tpi) and i was gona make some metal louvers for the back of the hood on the sides.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Here's a picture comparing 2 of many Third Gen spoilers. The blue one is an original 1986 spoiler from my IROC, with no brake light. The red one is from a 1988 IROC-Z, and has a built in third brake light, in the spoiler it's self.

If you click my Car Domain link you'll see more pictures of the third brake light spoiler, on page 2.

Here's a picture of the third brake light spoiler on a black 1990 convertible.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM

oh dang thats interesting. i see it comes stock on the convertibles then?
thats pretty cool,
i seen the pics of your car, so are you gona have both 3rd brake lights or just one or the other? and did you paint it red? lol
Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 AM

oh and since we're on the topic of rear facing lights, i was wondering if it would look cool for my taillights if i got those light covers and cut all the colored plastic off my taillights (its cracking anyway) and glue on the cover and make it water tight? im gona get colored led lights off ebay and i think it would look verry cool. but whats your opinion?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

The third brake light spoiler came standard on I believe all 1987 and up Z28's. I'm unaware if the V6 base models had that particular spoiler, but they might of. Basically, 1985 had a regular spoiler, then in 1986, laws made it where a CHMSL was required. 1986 was the only year with a hatch mounted CHMSL. 1987 was the first year was the third brake light spoiler. Then, with the 1991-1992's, came redesigned ground effects, and an updated spoiler.

I'm not sure of the situation of CHMSL on the 1991-1992's, or if they were even required then. I'll have to read up on it.

I didn't paint it red, it must've came off of a red car, I bought that spoiler from a member on here. (kurfbird)
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

I think it would look cool if you could pull it off in a professional looking way, but you may run into legal issues. Which color? Just the typical smoked rear lense cover? I think it'd be a good idea just to hunt down used tail lights that are in good shape, and clean them up.

Check out the classifieds section on here, you never know what you'll find. There's usually literally dozens of people parting out everything from base model V6's, to IROC-Z's, and the later 1991-1992 Z28's. Plus, almost everything on these cars are interchangable, and most members will slide you a good deal.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Z
I think it would look cool if you could pull it off in a professional looking way, but you may run into legal issues. Which color? Just the typical smoked rear lense cover? I think it'd be a good idea just to hunt down used tail lights that are in good shape, and clean them up.

Check out the classifieds section on here, you never know what you'll find. There's usually literally dozens of people parting out everything from base model V6's, to IROC-Z's, and the later 1991-1992 Z28's. Plus, almost everything on these cars are interchangable, and most members will slide you a good deal.
ohhh thats cool. what do you mean by ground effects? are you talking about the 3rd breaklight? if so then i know what you mean lol

and by the updated spoiler do you mean this one?
http://www.spoilerworks.com/images/CHMARO-82921.jpg
cz i dont like it as much as the older one
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Ground effects is just a term for lower body panels that are essentially a low profile body kit, typically offered from the factory.

My IROC, with ground effects.

A member's 1982 Camaro, with no front ground effects.

Oh, by the way, the spoiler, yes. That's the one I'm talking about, the 1991-1992 Z28 spoiler.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM

i was just going to get the dark black Wade brand ones off ebay, theyr like 20$ and the LEDs are verry bright so it should shine right through and im sure it would be ileagal, as long as i keep the breaks, running, and turn sigs red (changing turn sigs from amber to red) and for my backup lights im gona get the 32 smd leds which my friend has for his crx and they are bright.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM

Ground effects is just a term for lower body panels that are essentially a low profile body kit, typically offered from the factory.

A member's 1982 Camaro, with no front ground effects.

Oh, by the way, the spoiler, yes. That's the one I'm talking about, the 1991-1992 Z28 spoiler.
ohhhhhhhhhh, i have ground effects on mine. did you see the pics? (i didnt have sideskirts on tho) in the other fourm? ill send you links if you cant find them, but theyr on myspace cz they wouldnt post on here.
but yea, i was gona put custom ground effects on mine so it still has that stock look but its still custom.

oh and since this is a "restoration" fourm, i need to ask you a question about my ttop. the one on my driverside is shot i think, when i look up it looks as if the plastic is cracked but when i run my hand on it its smooth, ill try and post a pic later today but i wasnt sure if i would just be better to get new ttops or if theres a way to fix it, though im sure its acctualy in the plastic
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

If your T-top glass is in good condition, don't go for newer ones. T-tops are kind of pricey. Are you talking about the side rail strip, the hard plastic that's on the side of the T-tops, directly over top of the door glass?

If it's that, look for new T-tops, or look for a T-top Third Gen in a junkyard, that you could take the part off of. The complete T-top weather stripping kit is very pricey, but it includes everything.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...kit8piece.aspx

$499 is very steep, in my humble opinion.

Oh, and if you can't find a used or new part that you need on here, Hawks Third Gen will be your best friend.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/

Along with Youngs F Body.

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/

Between those two sites, they probably have enough parts to build a 'new' Third Gen from the ground up.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM

If your T-top glass is in good condition, don't go for newer ones. T-tops are kind of pricey. Are you talking about the side rail strip, the hard plastic that's on the side of the T-tops, directly over top of the door glass?

If it's that, look for new T-tops, or look for a T-top Third Gen in a junkyard, that you could take the part off of. The complete T-top weather stripping kit is very pricey, but it includes everything.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...kit8piece.aspx

$499 is very steep, in my humble opinion.

Oh, and if you can't find a used or new part that you need on here, Hawks Third Gen will be your best friend.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/

Along with Youngs F Body.

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/

Between those two sites, they probably have enough parts to build a 'new' Third Gen from the ground up.
its the acctualy seethrough glass, i mean when i bought the car i was sitting in it admiring it then i looked up and said "ahhhhhhhh look at that stary night sky " then i told myself "what a second! its noon? wtf??" lol
Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Hey I was just thinking, cause I have alot of dicollored plastic in my engine bay like my coolent tank, my brakefluid tank, ect, i was wondering how I would get it back to white?
would i have to do the same thing you did with your louvers?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

I don't believe they came in white on any year or model of any Third Gen. Every single coolant reservoir tank came in just clear plastic.

Hawks Third Gen sells a brand new one for $19.50. If it's scratched, or has some small cracks, I don't think clear plastics would be worth restoring. However, there is a lot under the hood that you can do. The black plastic radiator mount/shroud, whichever most people call it. There's the "caps" if you may, that cover the front suspension mounts. Valve covers would always look neat in black.

However, if you're a major DIY, and not worried about having a show level underhood appearance, all you'd have to do is thoroughly clean the coolant reservoir and windshield washer fluid tank.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM

oh ok i meant clear, not white.
but ok thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Not to take it off topic, but your car has such a nice stance. How'd you lower it?