Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 PM
  #1  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Hey All-

I'm doing a Supercharged LS3 build on an 88 Vert through Hawks and had to come up with a solution to avoid heat soak. I decided to create these and when I saw how freakin' awesome they were, wanted to offer them to everyone! Functional Aluminum Hood Louvers made specifically for 3rd Gen's - FINALLY!!. Please check out www.camarolouvers.com for lots of pics and info.
krio is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 PM
  #2  
Supreme Member
 
92RS(real slow)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Osceola Indiana
Posts: 2,147
Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ones that turn
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Do you have any pics of these installed on a hood?
92RS(real slow) is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 AM
  #3  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 1,110
Car: 1990 IROC-Z (De-Badged-Carbon Hood)
Engine: Superram 383
Transmission: T-56 w/upgraded Viper Internals
Axle/Gears: 3.73 18x8 and 18x11 irocs
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Interesting. Would be nice to see them on a hood. Are they adjustable? Did something like this on my car a while back. Yours look much better quality. May just hit you up on a pair!
Mr. IROC-Z is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 AM
  #4  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Hi. Thanks for your interest. The only adjustment is 15 degree to closely mimic the factory plastic and 25 degrees for a more aggressive look. I'm getting them installed this week at Hawks and will post lots of pics on the website within 7 days. Love your car BTW.
krio is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 02:08 PM
  #5  
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
95Cam86Roc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OH IO
Posts: 197
Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

That's awesome! Makes me want to put my Iroc hood back on.
95Cam86Roc is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM
  #6  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Thanks!! Lol. Glad you like them!!
krio is offline  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:59 PM
  #7  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Tibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Desert
Posts: 4,660
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: waiting to break
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Is this 3003 or 6063 that you have laser cut from a pattern? The plain kit option 2 sounds more appealing but the markup seems high. 2'x3' of 1/8" 3003 is usually ~$40.
Tibo is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 01:35 AM
  #8  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by Tibo View Post
Is this 3003 or 6063 that you have laser cut from a pattern? The plain kit option 2 sounds more appealing but the markup seems high. 2'x3' of 1/8" 3003 is usually ~$40.
$40??? Where? No idea what you mean by 3003 or 6063. I can tell you they're .080 Aluminum. I didn't make them, I paid someone else to do it for me. I couldn't get someone to answer the PHONE for $40. I can tell you that when you figure in R&D, specialty boxes (because they're 25 inches instead of 24") and bubble wrap for shipping, that if I only sell option#2, by the time I sell out of my entire initial inventory I will make $0 at $239 a pop. I do make a little on Option #1 but there's a PITA fee to consider. I'm just a regular third genner who has wanted these on my car forever and since no one else was making them, I had to. Thought others may like them too. Had lot's of positive response. Hope to at least end up with a free set of louvers for my own car out of this venture. That or I'll have a phenomenally expensive set of louvers on my own car and a LOT of spares! Don't care - it was still worth it - because I think they're THAT cool.
krio is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 01:46 AM
  #9  
Moderator
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,636
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

They are amazing looking.

How are you attaching them to the hood?
AmorgetRS is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 AM
  #10  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS View Post
They are amazing looking.

How are you attaching them to the hood?
Glad you like them!
This was asked and answered in another thread so I paste my response here:
Thanks for your interest
**
There are 12 small 1/8" pilot holes (3 per side) on the outside frame of the louvers. Hardware isn't included to allow choices for mounting. You can do hex bolts, or rounded allen bolts or rivets and grind off the top to hide. You can probably epoxy them to attach although haven't tried this. You can drill the pilot holes larger for a more aggressive look and go chrome, black or body colour. The possibilities are endless so I thought it best to leave up to customer preference. The coming install hood pics should help next week. Think I'm going with a black rounded allen bolt.
krio is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 AM
  #11  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (3)
 
PurelyPMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 3,020
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Looking forward to installed pics.
PurelyPMD is offline  
Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Citation X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 340
Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

I like them quite a bit too. I don't have the correct hood for them but I will show them to my dad when you get the finished pic up. If he likes them, they would make a great christmas gift.
Citation X is offline  
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jeffersonvlle
Posts: 79
Car: 85 iroc with 92 ground effects
Engine: 355 11.1 world product heads
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 dana 44
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by krio View Post
$40??? Where? No idea what you mean by 3003 or 6063. I can tell you they're .080 Aluminum. I didn't make them, I paid someone else to do it for me. I couldn't get someone to answer the PHONE for $40. I can tell you that when you figure in R&D, specialty boxes (because they're 25 inches instead of 24") and bubble wrap for shipping, that if I only sell option#2, by the time I sell out of my entire initial inventory I will make $0 at $239 a pop. I do make a little on Option #1 but there's a PITA fee to consider. I'm just a regular third genner who has wanted these on my car forever and since no one else was making them, I had to. Thought others may like them too. Had lot's of positive response. Hope to at least end up with a free set of louvers for my own car out of this venture. That or I'll have a phenomenally expensive set of louvers on my own car and a LOT of spares! Don't care - it was still worth it - because I think they're THAT cool.
I agree with you 100 percent. I am trying to reproduce amx side window louvers and every company wants like 2000 plus to do the molds and 150 my cost for the louvers. Would leave with me just about with zero profit. Then you have boxing, packaging materials and shipping. If you get paid with paypal they take 3 percent. Anyways nice job on doing these and can't wait to see them on a car.
racerkilla is offline  
Old 03-01-2015, 04:31 PM
  #14  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
I agree with you 100 percent. I am trying to reproduce amx side window louvers and every company wants like 2000 plus to do the molds and 150 my cost for the louvers. Would leave with me just about with zero profit. Then you have boxing, packaging materials and shipping. If you get paid with paypal they take 3 percent. Anyways nice job on doing these and can't wait to see them on a car.
Thanks for your kind words. You are obviously 'feeling my pain'-LOL. By the way - the only other cars I have loved in my life are Javelins and AMX's. I took a 68 Javelin from Calgary to California when I was 22. Loved that car! I wish you the best on your louvers - they sound really cool too!
krio is offline  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 PM
  #15  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Hi Everyone,
As promised - I now have many installed pictures of our Functional IROC Hood Louvers up on our website www.camarolouvers.com .
Check out the home page as well as the Gallery + Louvers to see what the Textured Aggressive Set looks like installed on the hood of my 1988 Convertible. We used silver screws (on a few pics) to mount them on purpose so you can easily see the mounting points. The end result (after my hood is painted) will include black allen bolts.
You can see that they're not very noticeable - even in silver. One pic shows no screws on the left one so you can get an idea of what they would look like if you rivet them on instead. The Low Profile Smooth Set pics should be up tomorrow.

The hood was cut with a ziz wheel/cut-off wheel. I would recommend using some touch-up paint to seal the cut edge.

Lastly, If you want to see what we're spending our last penny on - on the Gallery tab - click on IROC-X and see what we're up to.....

Thanks for your interest in the Louvers - hope you love them as much as I do!
krio is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Citation X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 340
Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Looks great can't wait to see that motor installed too.
Citation X is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 PM
  #17  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by Citation X View Post
Looks great can't wait to see that motor installed too.
Thanks - should be north of 650HP at the wheels.
I think Magnusson should bail me out of jail 6 months free - as part of the warranty
krio is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 PM
  #18  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: san jose, ca
Posts: 1,110
Car: 1990 IROC-Z (De-Badged-Carbon Hood)
Engine: Superram 383
Transmission: T-56 w/upgraded Viper Internals
Axle/Gears: 3.73 18x8 and 18x11 irocs
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Awesome! Will you be painting the car?
Mr. IROC-Z is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 PM
  #19  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by Mr. IROC-Z View Post
Awesome! Will you be painting the car?
Yessir. Pearl white.
krio is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 AM
  #20  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (3)
 
PurelyPMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 3,020
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

I'm not as pleased with these as I thought I would be - like the ones in Post #3 better.
PurelyPMD is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 839
Car: 1988 IROC Camaro (RHD)
Engine: 350 ci L98 SBC
Transmission: T700
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW, Disk, Posi-traction
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

I think it's a great idea. It looks original, but is functional. Not only does it allow for cooling and to help release the high pressure air under the hood, but being steel it should be more robust than the original plastic louvres.
peterc005 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:50 AM
  #22  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by peterc005 View Post
I think it's a great idea. It looks original, but is functional. Not only does it allow for cooling and to help release the high pressure air under the hood, but being steel it should be more robust than the original plastic louvres.
Glad you like them - oh and they're aluminum - not steel. But robust they are!!

Last edited by krio; 03-06-2015 at 09:54 AM.
krio is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 09:53 AM
  #23  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD View Post
I'm not as pleased with these as I thought I would be - like the ones in Post #3 better.
Post # 3 liked mine - but certainly to each his own
krio is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
  #24  
Member
 
Citation X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 340
Car: 92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Im jealous. That's pretty much what I want to do to mine someday.
Citation X is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM
  #25  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
NufNuffZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NC
Posts: 1,753
Car: 1987 Iroc
Engine: 357 Single plane and a Ysi vortech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

I like them, sadly I don't have anything to use them on at the moment(one has too much going on under the hood for a stock hood and one is BONE stock)
NufNuffZ28 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
  #26  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by Citation X View Post
Im jealous. That's pretty much what I want to do to mine someday.
Oh please don't be. I've waited 23 years from the first time I bought this car until today's 'Xtreme Makeover - IROC Edition"


I'm proof that "Good things comes to those who wait"


Just got photos of the painted engine bay. Pics should be up on the site under Gallery + IROC-X by days end.
krio is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 12:32 PM
  #27  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (3)
 
PurelyPMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 3,020
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by krio View Post
Post # 3 liked mine - but certainly to each his own
Please don't take my opinion personally - you've put a lot of effort into making them the way you wanted & that's a huge investment in time & effort. I've reproduced on my own a few GTO parts and know what it takes - I applaud you!

For me however, the perimeter mounting flange with the exposed fasteners and the supporting rib in the center are too much of a departure from the original for my taste.
PurelyPMD is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM
  #28  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD View Post
Please don't take my opinion personally - you've put a lot of effort into making them the way you wanted & that's a huge investment in time & effort. I've reproduced on my own a few GTO parts and know what it takes - I applaud you!

For me however, the perimeter mounting flange with the exposed fasteners and the supporting rib in the center are too much of a departure from the original for my taste.
No worries!! I didn't take it personally. I understand your concerns on the perimeter frame and brace and shared them. I wanted to try and make them exactly like the factory but it was just impossible. In order to do that they had to be made from an injection mold. No kidding, one quote for a mold was $60,000 - for starters! - LOL
So to keep the price under $3,000 a set (ie - unsellable) - this was the best I could do.
I built them for heat dissipation from my supercharger - so necessity was the mother of invention.
krio is offline  
Old 03-07-2015, 09:58 PM
  #29  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by krio View Post
Hi Everyone,
As promised - I now have many installed pictures of our Functional IROC Hood Louvers up on our website www.camarolouvers.com .
Check out the home page as well as the Gallery + Louvers to see what the Textured Aggressive Set looks like installed on the hood of my 1988 Convertible. We used silver screws (on a few pics) to mount them on purpose so you can easily see the mounting points. The end result (after my hood is painted) will include black allen bolts.
You can see that they're not very noticeable - even in silver. One pic shows no screws on the left one so you can get an idea of what they would look like if you rivet them on instead. The Low Profile Smooth Set pics should be up tomorrow.

The hood was cut with a ziz wheel/cut-off wheel. I would recommend using some touch-up paint to seal the cut edge.

Lastly, If you want to see what we're spending our last penny on - on the Gallery tab - click on IROC-X and see what we're up to.....

Thanks for your interest in the Louvers - hope you love them as much as I do!


Low Profile Smooth




same




same




Underhood view. Left side looks closed but its only the camera angle
krio is offline  
Old 03-08-2015, 11:18 AM
  #30  
Member
 
MeenZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Whitter, CA/La Puente, CA
Posts: 459
Car: 1992 Z28 Targa Top. Full air ride
Engine: 305 5.0 tpi v8
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 gears posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Those are very cool! If i didnt love my hood blisters so much id concider buying a pair.
MeenZ28 is offline  
Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 PM
  #31  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Abubaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: JAMESTOWN, NC
Posts: 7,116
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Ohhhhhhh man, I like those!!!!!!!!! ....I can see how some may see them as a departure from "stock", but then the desire to modify from the beginning pretty concedes that point anyway. I will say that if I were to have them made myself (assuming it was financially feasible) I might've tweaked just a few things, but still.....AWESOME!!!!!!!
Abubaca is offline  
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 PM
  #32  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Abubaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: JAMESTOWN, NC
Posts: 7,116
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

....so I might've missed it, but you mentioned inventory. How many do you have? ....I actually like the aggressive. I figure if yer gonna do it, I mean......might as well do it!!!!! I had NO plan on spending money on appearance and detailing 20 minutes ago.....I am SERIOUSLY considering these!

But I AM a thirdgenner....I do a lot of tire kicking.
Abubaca is offline  
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 PM
  #33  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Without a doubt, the most entertaining response so far!!! So glad you like them! I have less than 20 left. Don't kick the tires too long 😉. Out of curiosity, what minor tweaks would you do?

Thanks for your lively endorsement!!
krio is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 AM
  #34  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Abubaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: JAMESTOWN, NC
Posts: 7,116
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

....well you know, with family, house, dog, other hobbies, the money isn't quite as abundant as it once was....LOL, but we'll see.

......my only real first thought was that the approximate 1/2" flat perimeter around the "louvered" section might be a little thinner.....but I guess you need some structure so they're strong enough to bolt them down with. ....and again, that's just nit picking. I love em!
Abubaca is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 AM
  #35  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Abubaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: JAMESTOWN, NC
Posts: 7,116
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

You should talk to Bruce at Hawk's Thirdgen. ....I bet he'd be interested in these. He may have no interest whatsoever. He may buy 'em all. Who knows, but it's worth a shot. ....there's a lot of shops out there happy to make a dollar by selling you parts, and Hawk's is no different, but I think Bruce is one of the few who genuinely wants to help bring new products, whether it be custom or repop, to the market to help better the hobby.
Abubaca is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM
  #36  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
You should talk to Bruce at Hawk's Thirdgen. ....I bet he'd be interested in these. He may have no interest whatsoever. He may buy 'em all. Who knows, but it's worth a shot. ....there's a lot of shops out there happy to make a dollar by selling you parts, and Hawk's is no different, but I think Bruce is one of the few who genuinely wants to help bring new products, whether it be custom or repop, to the market to help better the hobby.
Hawks will be marketing these shortly. He actually installed these in my hood for me and the pics came from him. My car is with Bruce getting a complete restoration over the next few months. Hawks will be selling the low profile smooth finish louvers - Bruce thought they looked awesome and were his favorite.
Thanks very much for the recommendation!
krio is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
  #37  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
Abubaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: JAMESTOWN, NC
Posts: 7,116
Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: 383 TPI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Man that's awesome! ....but he's only doing the lower profile? ...guess I better get the aggressive one's from you then???

....and did Bruce cut the hood? ...I've been thinking about how best to do that, and whether it needs "professional finishing" after being cut up...
Abubaca is offline  
Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM
  #38  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Man that's awesome! ....but he's only doing the lower profile? ...guess I better get the aggressive one's from you then???

....and did Bruce cut the hood? ...I've been thinking about how best to do that, and whether it needs "professional finishing" after being cut up...
Yes Hawks cut it with a ziz wheel/cut off wheel. I would certainly recommend touch up paint to the cut. My hood is being painted as is the whole car so I didn't need to go that route. Hawks will only be offering the low profile (factory mimic) smooth finish. Any other options will need to be purchased through www.camarolouvers.com


So glad you like them!
krio is offline  
Old 03-31-2015, 07:20 PM
  #39  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

krio is offline  
Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
  #40  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

bump
krio is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
  #41  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 51
Car: Blue 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI, Soon a 355 TPI
Transmission: Auto, Soon a WCT-5
Axle/Gears: Nine Bolt, 3.42 posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Kerry,

So to make sure I am understanding this, when this batch is gone you don't intend to produce more of them?

By the way, I love these louvers, I am trying to prioritize my limited Camaro budget.

Thanks.
86 Money Pit is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 02:13 PM
  #42  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by 86 Money Pit View Post
Kerry,

So to make sure I am understanding this, when this batch is gone you don't intend to produce more of them?

By the way, I love these louvers, I am trying to prioritize my limited Camaro budget.

Thanks.
I fully understand. By the way, I LOVE your user name - I could easily change mine to 88 Money Pit. If you have been to www.camarolouvers.com and clicked on the Gallery and IROC-X you'll understand. This thing is going to be obscenely expensive - like 2015 Corvette Z06 expensive - but I love this car and I'll keep it forever! I'm 50 so 'forever' is a relative thing
As for your inquiry as to how long these will be available for purchase, I'm sorry to say I really don't know. They are selling although not as crazily as I thought they would. I am still quite a ways from just recovering my investment to bring these to market. Having said that, they ARE selling and since I think they're so cool, and my initial investment is over and done with, I am not thinking of pulling the plug anytime soon. So you definitely have some time and shouldn't stress out about it.
The hard part is getting the word out on them - I am trying to make the 2015 Third Gen Expo in Illinois on May 23, I think once people see them installed in person, they'll sell like hot cakes. Hawks Third Gen is furiously working to finish the car by May 19th so I can fly in and pick it up. Goes for paint tomorrow.
I'll keep your user name (like I could forget it) so I will give you a heads up before I make any rash decisions like pulling the plug.


Thanks very much for your interest!
krio is offline  
Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 PM
  #43  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by 86 Money Pit View Post
Kerry,

So to make sure I am understanding this, when this batch is gone you don't intend to produce more of them?

By the way, I love these louvers, I am trying to prioritize my limited Camaro budget.

Thanks.
Oh and by the way.... My advertising on this site ends May 5, 2015. So although all of my posts may be deleted here - you can still find me at www.camarolouvers.com and my email can be found in the contact tab.


Thanks
krio is offline  
Old 04-15-2015, 02:12 PM
  #44  
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
95Cam86Roc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OH IO
Posts: 197
Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Krio- put me on the list as well for a set before you discontinue making them as I'm still on the hunt for a hood in useable condition. That task is proving to be more difficult than I imagined.
95Cam86Roc is offline  
Old 04-15-2015, 02:19 PM
  #45  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by 95Cam86Roc View Post
Krio- put me on the list as well for a set before you discontinue making them as I'm still on the hunt for a hood in useable condition. That task is proving to be more difficult than I imagined.
Will do! Thanks
krio is offline  
Old 04-16-2015, 04:29 PM
  #46  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 51
Car: Blue 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI, Soon a 355 TPI
Transmission: Auto, Soon a WCT-5
Axle/Gears: Nine Bolt, 3.42 posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Given the amount of money you are spending I should probably just give you the user-name, my spend is pretty mild compared to yours. I love your build, except for the automatic transmission; this is pretty much exactly what I would build if I won the lottery. It is not too late to change to a T-56.

I am roughly the same age you are but, my wife certainly doesn't let me have that kind of play money. I am looking for a couple of odd-jobs to earn a little extra cash so I can get a set of louvers in the near future.

Keep posting updates on your website so us "have-nots" can see your beautiful build as it progresses.
86 Money Pit is offline  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:06 PM
  #47  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Originally Posted by 86 Money Pit View Post
Given the amount of money you are spending I should probably just give you the user-name, my spend is pretty mild compared to yours. I love your build, except for the automatic transmission; this is pretty much exactly what I would build if I won the lottery. It is not too late to change to a T-56.

I am roughly the same age you are but, my wife certainly doesn't let me have that kind of play money. I am looking for a couple of odd-jobs to earn a little extra cash so I can get a set of louvers in the near future.

Keep posting updates on your website so us "have-nots" can see your beautiful build as it progresses.
I'm definitely not a 'have' - just in a housing bubble and pulled out ALL my equity. Basically sold my house to the bank and now I rent it from them! Yes I have an understanding wife but had to seriously set her up with camera equipment first
Since I sold this same car FOUR times only because I couldn't afford to keep it over the first 15 years, and then after watching me wait another 8 years after buying it the 5th and final time, I think she finally just felt sorry for me - lol
I thought about the T56, but it's always been an automatic, I'd probably kill myself in a standard and the fact that I smoke, am inherently lazy and love slurpees, there would have been too much going on for me to steer effectively. I think it should go like hell anyway and am hoping to pick it up in 34 more sleeps - but who's counting.
Having said that, this build got away from me a bit and it became a "in for a penny. in for a pound' odyssey. Bottom line is I'm really excited and will definitely update the website. I think Hawks is doing a video (set to Rock and Roll Fantasy by Badfinger). Plus my wife is now a photographer () so when I get it back we'll take some shots in a ring of fire and all sorts of other stuff. She can make it look like I am hanging out of the car armoralling the tires at highway speeds - really hilarious looking.
Keep working on your wife We only get one run through this.....
krio is offline  
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 AM
  #48  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

Hi All - some wanted to see installed pics in something other than my removed white hood. There is a new customer review with pics available at
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ml#post5904544


krio is offline  
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  #49  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!

TTT
krio is offline  
Old 05-04-2015, 06:23 PM
  #50  
Former Sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 164
Car: '88 IROC Convertible
Engine: LS376/525HP Supercharged
Transmission: L470E
Axle/Gears: 8.8 Hawks 3.27 w/Auburn Posi
Re: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!



Low Profile Smooth Installed




Ghost Skulls = mean! lol




Carbon Fiber Look


OK - here they are! They're glossy (which is hard to tell from the pics)
This is kind of like customizing your customized louvers!
They are expensive ($150 extra on top of the $399) but for the few among us.... I may change mine out to the ghost skulls - they're really reaaaallly cool in person. Hope you like....


you can follow us on www.facebook.com/IROCXproject
krio is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Functional CAMARO HOOD LOUVERS!!!


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: