Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Rules on photo editing for COTM pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
Rules on photo editing for COTM pics

Just a clarification of the rule prohibiting use of photo-edited images for COTM purposes:

The term "photo-edited images" is used as a general term and is possibly not the right one.

I/we want to see your very best pictures for COTM purposes.

Obviously, it is prohibited to use photo editing to change the physical properties/dimensions of your car, or to conceal damage.

This rule is not meant to imply that photos must be untouched by any kind of photo-enhancing technology. What it means is, it must be a realistic representation of your car, and a realistic image altogether. That is to say, it shouldn't be altogether obvious to a lay-person (such as myself) that an image has been significantly processed.

Surely, we can all agree that there is a line between photography and "image art". Don't cross it. Try not to blur it. That, IMO, leaves all the room in the world for great photography.

If something looks suspect to me, I will likely call you on it. Do not take that personally (it's my job). It may very well turn out that the image in question is not so significantly processed at all - it's just a trippy-looking picture. That picture will stand.

Questions? (This or other issues/rules/expectations regarding COTM)

Concerns? ("^")

Suggestions? (No, we're not gonna do a "Project of the Month".)
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn
Re: Rules on photo editing for COTM pics

I fell there should be no photo edited pics period. Abubaco is a graphic artist(as am I. in the bus. for 30yrs) and is right that alot of photos end up in a editing program. He also has the ability to operate said program, From the looks of it so does KMC454. Chaz wishes he has such ability. so I see this as a unfair advantage. Yes professional photographers will have an unfair advantage also but in this world of digital photography an amutaer can take alot of shots and probably get one or 2 that look awesome. The graphic guy in me loves these enhanced photos, but COTM is about the car and not making it look better through photoshop. This is a monthly car show that we can't attend in person, if we could there would be no editing.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work Linson.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by vinny R
I fell there should be no photo edited pics period. Abubaco is a graphic artist(as am I. in the bus. for 30yrs) and is right that alot of photos end up in a editing program. He also has the ability to operate said program, From the looks of it so does KMC454. Chaz wishes he has such ability. so I see this as a unfair advantage. Yes professional photographers will have an unfair advantage also but in this world of digital photography an amutaer can take alot of shots and probably get one or 2 that look awesome. The graphic guy in me loves these enhanced photos, but COTM is about the car and not making it look better through photoshop. This is a monthly car show that we can't attend in person, if we could there would be no editing.

Here is an example, this was taken from a 4 yr old LG cell. I set the image size setting at its highest and took about 25 shots from different angles. Notice the light ray coming off the wheel. This is 100% un edited.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I'm glad we can have a constructive discussion about this.

First, before I begin, let me put my opinion in context. While I am very proud to be a COTM winner, I did NOT vote for myself. I voted for Porkenstein. I also informed Dave that my photos were edited via PM. He said I was cool. I wanna win, but not if it's not fair.

Second, thank you to Linson for posting up your opinion (and rule) of how you navigate the "photo editing" rule. It makes sense, and I appreciate the clarification. It's not really black and white, and your explanation of it makes more sense than a simple bullet point.

Third, I think we can all agree that while anyone, with any camera is capable of capturing photographic gold, -talent, experience, hardware and software and knowledge of how to use it certainly tilts the table in your favor. I don't think anyone would disagree.
COTM has been going for a few years now, and I've only been nominated once, and I've shown winning at all costs wasn't my goal. I'm a fan. I'm an amateur photographer, an artist. I'm a thirdgen fan, and a hot rodding fan in general. I want to SEE the good shots!!!!!! I want to see KMKs talent as well as his car! I hope that some of my photographs made some of you right click and save! I know I saved lots of KMKs pictures as well as Citations, AND...hundreds of pictures of thirdgens from all the COTM nominees and from all the other threads through the years. Heck I could fill a hard drive with pics just from ScottMoyer, Mr. IrocZ, and BadnBlack! -as well as probably 10 or 15 other specific members over the years. The unfair advantage "may" have benefited me (or not), one time, for one month. The gorgeous shots that the same advantage has allowed me to view, save and enjoy over the years is worth its weight in gold to me as an artist, a photographer, and as someone who loves these cars.

***With all that being said, in case it has gone UN-noticed, I'm the moderator of the Photoshop board. Let the irony of THAT sink in for a minute. ...and yes, we have a Photoshop forum!!! It was actually pretty active years ago, but it's now pretty quiet. I'm going to try to put together some basic editing posts, and try and revive some interest. It's not for everyone, but maybe a few of us can have some fun and learn a thing or two. I AM a graphic artist, but I am NOT a pro photographer, and while I'm good with the software, I'm not a professional car/photo editor. I work in the sign/vehicle wrap industry. My car photo editing is intuitive, but not taught. I don't know the "tricks" of the trade. I would LOVE to learn!!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:56 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Fair point. Way too hard to police though.

Plus, it is also a fair point that most "car mag" articles use pics that are processed in some way to maximize visual impact. There is no reason that TGO shouldn't be on the same level. That said, it does start with taking a good picture.

To your point, I think there is a difference between enhancing the image and enhancing the car. Likewise, there is maybe a fine line between enhancing the image, and altering the image .

I think that, yes, having the technical ability to process images is an advantage. But I also calculate that it is worth the trade-off in "total and absolute equality" to have powerful images by people who are passionate about their Third Gens and the way they are presented.

It's been said that if done right, nobody (at least nobody with my limited frame of reference) has to know that an image has been enhanced.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Here is an example, this was taken from a 4 yr old LG cell. I set the image size setting at its highest and took about 25 shots from different angles. Notice the light ray coming off the wheel. This is 100% un edited.
Great pic! And, again, you make a good point. Still, too hard to police though. And I would tend to err on the side of allowing enhancement to such an extent so as not to put TGO at a disadvantage to the rest of the car-loving world when it comes to showcasing our finest.

At first, I thought that you had written [that the ray of light coming off the wheel was 100% edited in]. I was going to say that, in the spirit of our rules, you should not be doing things like that - but if you hadn't mentioned it, I would've been none the wiser.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:29 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

I cannot emphasize enough, that photography is an integral part of the COTM program.

I have the utmost respect and appreciation for those who have submitted spectacular presentations for COTM Voting. They'd almost have to be biggest factor that makes the COTM Program worthwhile.

If your submission consists mainly of pictures of your car in an oil-stained driveway next to your wife's Pontiac Sunfire...please try harder.

Moving forward, please rest assured that occasionally having to pump the brakes on a suspect photo here and there, is in no way indicative of any agenda towards:

* Downplaying the role of good photography in making the COTM program a success.
* Dumbing-down the quality of acceptable COTM images or the technical skill required to submit your best photo.
* Give any advantage/disadvantage to any member(s), make, model, or type of build.