Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Friday Fluff - IROCZ or Z28 Rocker emblems???

Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Friday Fluff - IROCZ or Z28 Rocker emblems???

So this is totally a fluff topic with no real technical value, but it's Friday, so I figure what the hey?

Getting ready to paint the car, and replace some of the various worn emblems and decals. With regard to the rockers, I've never liked that in 88-90, they said IROCZ instead of Z28. Yes, I know technically you couldn't get a "plain" Z28 without the Iroc package from 88 on, but it's still on the dash and still has the RPO. Since the vast majority of the cars had the door decals, it's redundant, and almost looks silly. For YEARS, I kept them for no other reason than because I wanted the car to look factory stock (almost). But I've relaxed a little, and I'm considering going back with Z28 emblems instead of Iroc emblems.

I don't really even have a question. Just a statemnt, lol. Feel free to comment. Talk amongst yourselves. Whatever. Enjoy your Friday!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds
Re: Friday Fluff - IROCZ or Z28 Rocker emblems???

Man, you've taken a perfectly good car and ruined it with all these mods. Next you're going to want to remove the factory decals on the sway bar. What are you going to do when it's time to get that 20k payday to fund your retirement? And to think, I recommended the guys contact you in regards to reproduction battery labels. They should throw you off this site!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

IDK... I kinda find the 88-90 IrocZ emblems sexy. They're certainly more JAZZY than the tri-tone Z28 emblems that remind me of disco steroids 2nd gens from the smogger fat Elvis era. I dislike the tri-tone Z28 emblems so much, I've strongly considered swapping the set on my Iroc for the almost chrome'ish Z28 emblems off a 91-92.

The redundancy of the IROCZ door decals and the emblems doesn't especially bother me. At least they're at different positions Front/Rear. If I was really worried about it, I think I'd dump the decals first. But then the decals are kind of like the ridiculously stupid and tacky 5.0 fender badges on trashy Fox bodies. They're a calling card. A tradition. Something so established with the breed that to not have them, discards identity.

Tough call.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by Drew
IDK... I kinda find the 88-90 IrocZ emblems sexy. They're certainly more JAZZY than the tri-tone Z28 emblems that remind me of disco steroids 2nd gens from the smogger fat Elvis era. I dislike the tri-tone Z28 emblems so much, I've strongly considered swapping the set on my Iroc for the almost chrome'ish Z28 emblems off a 91-92.

The redundancy of the IROCZ door decals and the emblems doesn't especially bother me. At least they're at different positions Front/Rear. If I was really worried about it, I think I'd dump the decals first. But then the decals are kind of like the ridiculously stupid and tacky 5.0 fender badges on trashy Fox bodies. They're a calling card. A tradition. Something so established with the breed that to not have them, discards identity.

Tough call.

Wowww, easyyyy on the hate on Foxes loll.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,265 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

The risk of regret by adding a decal to a car.... High

The risk of regret by removing a decal from a car.... Low
Old 11-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by George Klass
Wowww, easyyyy on the hate on Foxes loll.
LOL It's all in good fun. I've got a set of 2.3 fender emblems styled like the 5.0 emblems for my Mustang, so I get it. They're just soooo played out in an 80's way. There's something good about the "5.0" emblem, but they're undeniably tainted.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I say do what you like!

If you love the Z28 emblems, do it! It’s kinda cool to have IROC on the door and Z28 as the emblem..

At the same time, try to save the IROC emblems if you can because they don’t make an accurate replica and an NOS emblem can go for $500.. The Z28 reproductions are pretty good and come in every color..

The reproductions are mostly stickers and the ones that aren’t are not correct..

The Z28 does sort of remind me of the earlier 80s and the IROC-Z emblem was when the car really came into itself so they kind of over did it..

If I had a modded exterior with no decals and sick paint I’d think about getting the metal emblems even a metal or chrome Tuned Port Injection emblem would look cool.. an all black with chrome accents would be sharp..
Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by Drew
LOL It's all in good fun. I've got a set of 2.3 fender emblems styled like the 5.0 emblems for my Mustang, so I get it. They're just soooo played out in an 80's way. There's something good about the "5.0" emblem, but they're undeniably tainted.

Lol I had those as well on a 2.3 hatch I used to have. On my deceased LX coupe I threw on the 11-14 5.0 emblem and on my 95 decided to run the 15-17 style.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM

And to think, I recommended the guys contact you in regards to reproduction battery labels.
Wait, you did? Thanks! ....I would've done that if anyone ever contacted me ...maybe I should make repop swap bar decals since I removed mine.

Oh then you're gonna LOVE when I tell you mine are gold!!!!!! -See I've always like that about them. Embrace your inner 80s! I was a freshman in HS the year my 89 was made, and I had ripped jean and a ******! Gotta love yourself before you can love anyone else I guess!!!! LOL

If you love the Z28 emblems, do it! It’s kinda cool to have IROC on the door and Z28 as the emblem..

At the same time, try to save the IROC emblems if you can because they don’t make an accurate replica and an NOS emblem can go for $500.. The Z28 reproductions are pretty good and come in every color..
My original IROC emblems are long gone. They were beat up when I bought the car. I actually made resin covered/domed decals on an acrylic backer. You could get within 2 feet of mine and couldn't tell they weren't factory.

I've fought for SOOOOO long to keep my car appearing factory, even though it was FAR from stock underneath. And for all that, the ACTUAL stock/survivor cars are now finally climbing in value. (which is awesome) ....-but mine never really was original. Well....not since I got it. ....I'm finally venturing out and kickin around some different ideas. I know....Z28 emblems is hardly being a rebel, but baby steps, lol!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Regardless of what I choose.....I'll probably make 'em myself. Being in the sign biz, I can make some cool stuff.

Not cool stuff like custom made billet wheels....or hand fabricated fiberglass parts...but you know....stickers, lol!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

That's awesome that you can make that stuff! Must come in handy..

It's also kinda cool to have an IROC that looks like a stock museum piece but is stupid fast and drives like a brand new Vette..

There's a lot of potential..

My old boss had a stupid fast IROC that he went to town on. Dumped a ton of money into it and the outside looked like a plain, bone stock factory red IROC with louvers.. inside and out it looked like the most common IROC around but the thing was scary fast.. couldn't keep the thing on the road.. One of his many strange creations.. wish I knew what was in it.. this was 20 years ago.. barely drove it.. sat in his showroom mostly..
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 PM

LOL, I won't say it handles like a new 'vette, but it'll hold it's own. Under hood is a boisterous 383 TPI backed by a TKO. Stoplight to stoplight it's a force, quarter mile not so much, lol.

...as for appearance, on top of loving the stock appearance of these cars, I have so many creative ideas, many of which I've never seen done. -but I only have ONE car, soooooo what do you do? I go to one cruise in where everyone's got these big old giant fatty rear tires, and I get contact patch envy! -but the next cruise in someone comes up and tells me how awesome it is that I kept the stock wheels on the car in this day of big ole rims. ...it's give and take. Win some ya lose some, grass is always greener....however ya wanna put it!

I need another car.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

I've always like the 85-87 style of saying z28 on the rockers.....

The 88-90 way of saying IROC-Z on the rockers seemed redundant....It's on the doors, it's on the rockers, it's on the wheels, it's on the bumper.....And some even put it on their windshield
Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I say go with the Z28 badges. As was already mentioned, the IROC-Z emblems are in the wrong font, but you said you'll make your own anyway. I like the fact that the IROC-Z is a Z28, so that's my vote.

Your car still looks factory, but you have made so many personal mods that it doesn't matter anymore. Create something custom that fits in that spot, like 383 or something.

Search this Thread