Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th gen console tech article

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: Vortec 350 with mild cam
Transmission: 700r4 Mild build
Axle/Gears: Stock
4th gen console tech article

Ok, I remember about 3 weeks ago, I was looking for info on the subject for a 3rd gen to a 4th gen console swap. I was disapointed by what i found in the search. Because of this, im willing to give you all a tech article, at best can be stored for everyone in the future. First off, all 1993-2002 consoles fit. I have performed the 1993 console swap. There are a couple of radio pod options. You can chop your camaro one, which can look good if you know what your doing, or you can buy a 3rd gen firebird radio pod. Remove all trim rings, screws, and mounting for the 3rd gen console. *Mark on the carpet (in a un-noticable spot) where the radio pod starts and the console stops. Also mark the same spot on the side of the console. Remove the console and set off to the side. Next, find the 4th gen console, and remove the cassette holder (if equippt). This (if you dont know) is just a compartment that is located atop the console, right infront of shifter boot. Place the newer console in the stock location, securing one back screw in the console, so it wont move. Mark on the newer console the same line that is on the carpet. Take out the newer console and bring over to your work table. Take a straight edge and mark cutting line across both the consoles. It is easier to cut the 3rd gen console it you remove the vents first (camaro). Take your saw ( sabre saw, skill saw, hand saw, what have you) and cut as straight as you can along line. Becareful with the older console, the material is VERY britle! It is best if you use a razor to pre-cut carpet. Find or buy a piece of plastic that is thick enough to support front part of console without swaying, and cut to fit the hole of the front of camaro radion pod. Attach to pod using brackets on the ineer part of the radio pod. Attach the pod back into car. Place the older console of to the side, it is no longer needed. Mount the new console, using one screw again. Take off the shifter plate and mark line all the way around the inside of the console in reference to the radio pod. Take out the newer console and mount two brakets to the pod using the line just made as a guide to the newer console. Take the newer console and flip it over. Take some course sand paper and score the inside of the console that will attach to the pod brackets and clean up. Mount the newer console again, installing both back screws. Taking RTV, or any sealent/ adhesive and make a "bandaid" over the braket and over the bracket, connecting to the newer console. You can also use plastic and solder the bracket to the console. Take your shifter plate and remove the ash tray. Fabercate a plate for switches to fit in the ash tray, for hatch, windows. If you want, you can locate under dash, side of console/pod, where ever you want. If you have a firebird or want to buy a firebird pod, you can basically skip everything after the "*" , but you still have to remove the cassette holder. For this one, remove the whole camaro dash and mount the firebird pod, then mount the newer console. Then your done. If you want, you can switch over the hinge to your 3rd gen, since it is stronger. It takes some skill though, lots of bending. Hope this tech article helps anyone thinking of doing this. The console cost me $53.25 and the plastic was free. If you have any questions, just ask. "Please, If i forgot something, just add it in a post, dont ridicule me. This is my first tech article. Thanks!"
Hope you have fun and nothing breaks!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Now i know why my english teacher told us to make PARAGRAPHS damn..........

You have any pictures of this or the finished product?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by FLYNLOW92rs
Now i know why my english teacher told us to make PARAGRAPHS damn..........
LOL ... my eyes and head hurt so bad that i forgot my own name and now have dain brandage .. j/k

Thats kool that you went out and type up instructions, i began doing that with a cam swap but kinda forgot half the stuff, and did it ways that i wouldnt recommend doing.

E-Mail the webmaster and see if hell make it a tech article. And yea ... you have pics to post up too with it?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:34 PM

haha, I know, was never really a big fan of paragraphs. Thats probably why im getting a 70% in english. Do you know the email I send this too?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:01 PM

1/4
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen console tech article-mvc-001f.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 08:02 PM

2/4
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen console tech article-mvc-002f.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 08:03 PM

3/4
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen console tech article-mvc-003f.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 08:06 PM

4/4, Sorrry about the quality of pictures, it was at night, accually, about 10 minutes ago
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen console tech article-mvc-007f.jpg  
Old 01-09-2003, 08:11 PM

i have no money right now, but when i do, im gonna finish the console up, just need to cover up the hole, piece of cake. Oh, and its alittle dirty, sorry. Oh yea, here is a picture of the hinge mod. Kinda sloppy, but havent had time to paint it again. NO TIME!!
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen console tech article-mvc-005f.jpg