Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

To fix subframe, or not to fix subframe...

Old 10-24-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To fix subframe, or not to fix subframe...

Hello all,

Once again I find that I have yet another item to fix on my 89' IROC. Some time ago, the previous owner managed to "tap" a car in front of him. This required (based on butt welds and new parts, not paperwork) the replacement of the hood and fenders.

It appears that the body shop monkey also decided it would be better (read easier) to cut the entire front end off at a point just in front of the cross member. Then, a front clip/subframe assy from a donor car was to be welded in place. All sound ok, but there are subtle signs that it could have been done better.

To fix it I want to pull two subframe "rails" from a car in a wrecking yard. Because these are one contiguous piece, I would include the boxed areas spot welded to the floor that are on either side of the trans (and other areas as well). Essentially they extend from the middle of the floor up to the core support. Well, you all know this... you own third gens.

--> My question is... have any of you done this or heard of someone doing this? Are the subframe/inner fender(s) the same on all third gens? I want the to car to be fixed right & look right. I intend to keep it to tinker with when the chevelle is done, so time & labor is not a factor. I also want to buy a spot welder and repair/weld as close to factory look as possible.

Check it out at the website link below...

Web Site

Thanks very much!