Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

A few questions about getting the harwood lift-off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about getting the harwood lift-off

I'm thinking of getting a harwood lift-off fiberglass hood for my camaro, definately the 3" since it's the smallest lift-off they make. My question isabout running it with an open element. I want to do the two mods together since i'm running the stock air cleaner right now. I've heard talk about it being better to have the air filter sticking out between the hood and the cowl, such as just adding on the universal cowl and cutting out a circle. I hope i'm making sense but I'm just wondering if anyone with the harwood would know how the filter would sit. (pictures would help)

With the lift-off hoods, is there anything out there other than the pins to keep them on. I'm just worried about some dick walking by and taking my pins or my hood for that matter just because it's a lift-off. is there any sort of locks out there of do i just run that risk with a lift-off?

My last question is about putting a screen or something over the inlet on the hood. My car is forced to sit on the driveway year round (mom thinks the new imports deserve the garage more than my Camaro.... ) So do i need to put on a screen or something to keep out leaves and keep out as much snow as possible?

Sorry about the long post but I've been trying for the past three hours to peice all this together through other posts and am still a little unsure. thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
lift off hoods have NOTHING but the 4 pins to hold them on. they do make locking hood locks instead of a pin set if you wanted to go that route. although, you can save up another $100 and buy a bolt-on hood, might be better that way.

i personally have a 4" glasstek lift off hood and i don't leave the car anywhere but the garage so i'm safe, as for the screen.....rain shouldn't really get in there.....but snow would cause some trouble for sure, no way to get around that though.

i have pics on my cardomain site in sig for you ....