Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Replaced my rotted hatch!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:48 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Replaced my rotted hatch!

I finally got around to replacing my hatch. It was so rotted that there wasn't any metal left underneath! (see pics)

I didn't replace the hatch glass though, as I was working alone on this project. It really wasn't hard to do at all.

I unscrewed the inside plastic on the underside, used some wood to prop the hatch open, removed the struts, unscrewed the 4 little screws holding the metal trim on (2 on each side), removed the spoiler (6 nuts), and then removed all 8 nut/washer things that hold the glass to the hatch. BE CAREFUL to watch where the little plastic washers come out and how, they keep the nuts from tightening on the glass itself. There is a metal piece that attaches to the struts that will come off. Now you can lift the hatch off the glass! There will be RTV-type stuff across the glass, down the sides a little, and a spot of it on each side. This will be a pain to get off, but be careful. When you get the hatch off, use a razor and scrape the gook off so it is nice and clean. Also use some Windex to clean things up nicely. Get your new hatch part and clean it up as well. Now for this step you can use black RTV stuff, or what I opted for, the roll of windshield stuff. Put it back just as you saw it taken off, (see blue one in pic) and make sure you line EVERY angle up prefect, as this stuff is sticky! Once you get it perfect, squish it down and, here's my favorite line, installation is the reverse of removal!

That's what I did. I don't know if it's the right way or not, but it hasn't leaked yet!

Watch, as soon as I post this I'll find the tech article

Last edited by aaron7; 04-04-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird (blown apart)
Engine: *cough*BOAT ANCHOR*cough*
Transmission: Slushbox
Wow...

...and I thought me and my brothers (Pew here on boards) were bad. They are a pain in the *** to change, not looking forward to switching out mine, or my bro's.