Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

'92 RS 25th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 camaro
Engine: carby 350
Transmission: t-5 from v6 car
Originally posted by Gnarley_Boarder
Ever seen yard workers? a bunch of burnouts with half a brain.Every yard around here has the same typ[e of guys making 6 bucks an hour and dumb as ****.

My advise goto taco bell eat until you feel like throwing up wait an hour or so to digest and go take a big **** right in the office.

I really don't think those marks you posted would cause the tires to leak. Maybe it is worse in person than it looks on my pc. The tire joints have some stuff they can shoot in your tires to help seal the beads up if you think that is where the air is leaking from.

92rs85berlinetta is right. It is just good to see it saved, and we are glad you have the opportunity to enjoy it.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:33 PM

Car: Yukon, Tahoe, Expedition, JGC
well I finally think I got those tires to stop leaking. Took the one back tire that was leaking air and checked the valve stem and sure enough it was leaking. Seems the last owner put fix a flat in it and I had to get all that out before I could put the new one in. After that it worked fine. I still have to test it for a few days and if it holds good I will put them on my red camaro and put up a few pics .

In about a week I will try to contact the people I sent my letter to and see if they are doing anything with it.

Well the main mark I saw was actually made it slightly bend the lip and that's what I didn't like.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 12-19-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:37 PM

So sad it makes me to go to these salvage yards and see the destruction that people have caused.

I went to Van Horns Auto Salvage to get a bushing for the torque arm and couldn't help check out the other cars there that really didn't have big problems with them that I could see. I saw a '90 firebird there (didn't look like a special edition, but I don't know firebirds that well) and it didn't have much damage except a few small dents in the front fenders. No rear body damage. The engine (only a V6 though and it was clean!) and transmission were intact and everything seemed to be in good condition so if anyone is looking for a firebird... I didn't check to see if it had a title or not.

There was also a black '88 camaro RS (RS hood and Z28 engine that had already been sold out of it) which didn't have any rear damage, but some front damage. Just some dents in the fender though, nothing that looked structurally damaging. It's been there too long though. They sold the T-tops and rear hatch so water invaded it and ruined the carpet and seats.

The great thing that chevy actually did for these cars is paint and coat the whole car so it was basically rust proof. There were a couple others, but they were actually damaged.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:02 AM

BTW I gtg back there to get the wiring harness of the black one. It looks like it was an RS with the TPI setup, but how can I make sure from the wiring? All the wires are cut too, but would still be easier and cheaper than buying another one or converting my 92 RS wiring right?

I am going to build a 90-92 TPI setup for the red camaro and I'm going to put the LT1 into my yellow car because it's already for the racing suspension and some other stuff. Plus it needs new gauges and some other stuff I can do once I get the red one titled and running.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:20 PM

You know what, I am not going to get that wiring harness. I am just going to watch ebay and wait for a '90-'92 TPI package to be sold and I'll get it then because it's usually alittle cheaper and it's only 1 shipping price.

Still no word on that title reinstatement, but I will call someone tomorrow that can hopefully either check it for me or give me a phone number so I can check on it.

BTW tires are all holding good now that I replaced the valve stems and will put them on red camaro and get some pictures when the autoshop opens again. I am thinking of having them powder coated. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 12-27-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:40 PM

I can’t believe it. I called the DMV title corrections office to see what the status was on that letter and stuff I sent into them and they had no idea. Every time they put me on hold, it cut me off after about 5 minutes of waiting. I wasn’t getting any help from them and I have to go work a 12hour shift tonight so I was feeling a little down. I went and got something to eat, came back and decided to check my mail box to see if I got any bills. I saw a manila envelope and I wasn’t sure what it was. Opened it up and sure enough it was a response letter from the DMV!!! Finally!!! The papers and photos look like they went through quite a few people seeing how it had been restapled quite a few times. There's also a letter on in the front basically saying I need to go to court with proof of ownership to make me the legal owner oh the vehicle and resubmit the paperwork once that’s done. That sounds to me like I could very well be on the way to getting the title back!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM

Well I checked on it and while I couldn't get the person that wrote me the letter to find out if the COD would be good enough proof, everyone else that I talked to said it should be. I called McLeans auto salvage where I bought the car and his wife answered and shes really doesn't want to help me. Even when I was just getting the bill of sale signed by him because we forgot to sign it the day I actually bought it, she threw a fit. Luckily I still got it signed a few days later. This time Mr.McLean is away and it doesn't look like they are going to help me anymore so it looks like I am going to have to take them to court and get a Declaratory Judgement saying I am the owner of the car and I send that in to get the new title (hopefully). The cost is $250 and I am going to see if I can't get them to pay it (From what I've read the judge can either charge me or them or distribute the cost and they are the ones holding me back). It's going to be awhile because I gotta find out what I need in order to have this trial and how it's going to work.

One more obstacle in my way... I'm guessing it's going to be another month or so before it get to do all of this.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: White 25th Anniversary RS
Engine: lt1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 4:10
did you check on carfax to see who the last officail owner was?? because you can go to them and have them sign a lost title form thats all i did. i bought mine form emerald coast auto then went to the previos owner bubba hill auto and sent out for a duplicate title. then i was good.i have a clean title too because a duplicate replaces all proir titles.

good luck
Old 01-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Car fax shows it's good beyond having the COD which shows up as a junk title. Did yours have a COD though? I can't seem to locate the previous owner anyway. I've got a name, but no way of reaching her. Basically, from what I got from the DMV ppl, this is my ONLY chance to get it titled in florida again.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

i would assume it had a cod title but im not sure as they told me that they lost it and i could never have it on the road or retitled again. so i went over there head to the last owner and sent for a duplicate..
Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 AM

Who told you it could never be titled again? DMV or the guys at the salvage yard? That's great you didn't give up either.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Finally put the IROC rims on her and trashed those other crappy ones :

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 02-07-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

wow man shes realy coming back to life!!!!:hail:
Old 02-16-2005, 10:05 PM

small update:

talked to the main guy at the salvage yard and he is not going to give me the COD. Took me forever to get ahold of him and finally today I got to see him and he acted like it was going to be REALLY hard to find the COD and made a call to DMV (or so he said he called DMV anyways) and basically said he will not give it to me.

A week prior I called the DMV in tallahassee to try and find out a more definite answer about actually being able to have the COD in my name and the person I talked to said it’s like a title in that the person who owns it has the COD in their name and that they were obligated by law (she wasn’t totally sure though on that part) to give me the COD. I believe she knew what she was talking about because she knew how a towing company could get a title back by sending in an affidavit saying they made a mistake. I am also going to see what I can have done with that lady at the local tag and title office because she is giving false info out. It wouldn’t be so bad, but she is the supervisor there. Don’t really want to get her fired, just get her in alittle trouble.

My next 2 things to try are seeking legal advice to see if I can take this to small claims to see if I can get that COD signed over or, if that doesn’t work, I will see if I can sue for the amount it will cost me to get a declaratory judgment.

Someone told me that you don’t need plates to race and I finally went out to the dragstrip here with my yellow Camaro (only got 10 flat in the 1/8 mile run a few times and gave up. Engine needs an overhaul bad). I was thinking that maybe once I get it put together, if I still don’t have a title, I will run it to make sure it’s not going to fall apart on me for one reason or another. The engine that I am planning to build now shows promising power figures . That’s if I can end up building the engine sooner than planned.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

are you sure it has a cod. check car facts first.they might have just lost it.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:27 AM

car fax shows CODs as junk titles and yes I know it has one. They are supposed to keep it in their files for 3 years and at most it's been 1. If they lost it they have to order a duplicate.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Small update:

Well I got a 30 minute consultation from an attorney yesterday and it looks like I should just try and get the declaratory judgment. He said I should do it myself and it shouldn’t be too hard, but I probably won’t be able to do it for alittle while because I need to go to the law library and check out some stuff for my case. Even when I file it, he said it’s going to take about 2 months to get it. Then I submit it all back to the DMV and wait eagerly for their reply.

The auto/hobby shop here just changed their rules and nobody is supposed to have their car there longer than a month at a time. So now I am definitely thinking of doing a small rebuild on the engine just so I can move it out of there. When I talked to security forces awhile back, they said it shouldn’t be a problem having it out as long as it had a current base pass for it. I am probably just going to rebuild it as a TBI for now and throw the LT1 in there next once it’s done.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Well I've finally got it written, now to just get an attorney or someone to check it before I submit it. We go to court and I should win seeing how everything is in my favor. After that it's just another waiting period (about 2 months) to make sure there's nothing that is going to conflict. Once that is done I send it in to the DMV and hopefully (cross fingers) I will get the title back.

Well something is comming up called an ORI which is a big inspection of everything and to make sure we are doing our jobs right and stuff and what the people at the auto/hobby shop are saying is that it's always been a rule that you were supposed to have registration and temp base tags to keep it in the parking lot there (or anywhere on base). They've just been easy on the rule because they know people like me need it. Luckily I've been asking some people at work and one was nice enough to let me park it at his house so I just gotta tow it to there and leave it. The people at the auto/hobby shop say once this ORI passes, I can bring it back in there. Hopefully by then though I will be close enough to having my title back I can just leave it at my friends until I get it and drive it back on base.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Well I've finally got it written, now to just get an attorney or someone to check it before I submit it. We go to court and I should win seeing how everything is in my favor. After that it's just another waiting period (about 2 months) to make sure there's nothing that is going to conflict. Once that is done I send it in to the DMV and hopefully (cross fingers) I will get the title back.

Well something is comming up called an ORI which is a big inspection of everything and to make sure we are doing our jobs right and stuff and what the people at the auto/hobby shop are saying is that it's always been a rule that you were supposed to have registration and temp base tags to keep it in the parking lot there (or anywhere on base). They've just been easy on the rule because they know people like me need it. Luckily I've been asking some people at work and one was nice enough to let me park it at his house so I just gotta tow it to there and leave it. The people at the auto/hobby shop say once this ORI passes, I can bring it back in there. Hopefully by then though I will be close enough to having my title back I can just leave it at my friends until I get it and drive it back on base.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Okay I have been away from this string for a while but help me catch up. Is the red car the one from the salvage yard?

Any way it goes just hang in there. I went thru a simular situation with my '92. Today I am driving a near mint 92 RS because of my patience. It was hard to go thru the paperwork, DMV B.S. but now the wait was worth it. Yours will be too.
Attached Thumbnails '92 RS 25th Anniversary-92.jpg.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Any way it goes just hang in there. I went thru a simular situation with my '92. Today I am driving a near mint 92 RS because of my patience. It was hard to go thru the paperwork, DMV B.S. but now the wait was worth it. Yours will be too.
me too man with a 92 too. lol must be the year.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Anniversary Edition
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 5-Speed
holy cow i just read this thread from start to finish

it's like a freaken television citcom

good stuff

i almost busted out the popcorn
Old 04-17-2005, 08:16 PM

well I'm glad you like it. Never thought it would be this much trouble. Tomorrow I will call that atorney one more time and see if he will check out my paper and if not just submit it.

I finally took the power steering box out today and it only took 6 hrs, lol. The guy who worked on it last broke the mid bottom bolt off in the worst possible spot. Part of the bolt was sticking out and they routed a piece of sheet metal from the bolt end through the top of the left stabilizer bushing and wrapped it up. There was a C-clamp there too that was a pain to remove because I didn't know at first what was holding it back. It's finally out though. I am trying to decide whether to just to get another used box from a salvage yard or have a machine shop drill it out. I think there might have been a problem with this one because why else would they be messing with it? what I don't know is if it was when they were pulling it out or putting it nack in that they broke the bolt off. One of the guys that work at the auto/hobby shop said it could have been from someone trying to install a bolt that was way too long because there were some thread marks way past where it's supposed to stop and looks like they tryed to back it out and only got about half way befire it broke. I almost want to say, for the quality of work, this is the same guy she (the previous owner) had work under the kick panel that severed the VATS wire. Anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 04-18-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:16 PM

bought a rebuiltone for $139 total. It's the one with "soft suspension" if anyone knows what that means... It works and that's what matters
Old 04-19-2005, 06:17 PM

bought a rebuiltone for $139 total. It's the one with "soft suspension" if anyone knows what that means... It works and that's what matters

now they're telling me 5-7 days
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 PM

custom cam ordered for 350. should take 4 days to grind and 2 days for shipping. I haven't gotten the notice yet and they say it'll be a week from when I get it. The guy who is doing the valve work said the heads I got are a good pair to have even with the low compression. Once I get the cam all broken in and everything, I will try to find a place to dyno my car and post results.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:35 AM

ok, what color morror tint looks better? Green, blue, or bronze:

reposted...

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 04-26-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

none of the above. stick with black
Old 04-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

none of the above. stick with black
Old 04-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: FBODYS
Engine: ALWAYS 8'S
Transmission: ALWAYS MENTAL
Axle/Gears: RUSTY AND BRAND NEW
Black only on that car bro!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:37 PM

ok for fun I made the mirror tint more realistic, still black? I'll try and make a smoked glass pic for black.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 04-24-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:27 PM

oh btw she is safe (I hope) at a friends house. Now I just gotta do this stupid judgment thingie. Still waiting to get back with this lawyer... Also this week I am hopefully going to be building this 350 I bought so I can use my old 305 heads to get her running for the first time. I am still waiting on the cam and now I am going to have some ARP bolts installed in the connecting rods and have the block honed and new rings and bearing put in tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM

ok here are the colors now with black...

Old 05-23-2005, 10:47 AM

Let the final battle begin…

I finally submitted the judgment and had both parties served (salvage yard and towing company) and now I have to go and find out how to setup the trial dates. I didn’t think this was going to be anything much because it’s been so long, but the towing company called me the day after I sent out the summons saying that he would file a countersuit against me for the cost of towing and storage. I called the owner and he was saying felony this and that and that he had over $3000 in charges accumulated that he was charging me for. I think he’s full of himself and I am going to read more into it before I go to court. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

If theres goin to be any charges it will be on them for selling a car that was certified for destruction and wasnt supposed to be sold. They will most likely lose there dismantlers license if it goes in your favor. They are the one who violated the law not you and the cant charge you for that stuff that had nothing to do with you. the towing and storage was prior to you owning it and didnt include you. They have no case on you.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:13 PM

If theres goin to be any charges it will be on them for selling a car that was certified for destruction and wasnt supposed to be sold.
Can't. It was legal for them to sell it to me and I am not claiming ignorance as to what a certificate of destruction is. I am however claiming ignorance for the salvage yard putting "for parts only" on the bill of sale which messes everything up. Actually I don't think it really would've mattered because I would still of had to go through this procedure. That's only a small part of it though

They will most likely lose there dismantlers license if it goes in your favor. They are the one who violated the law not you and the cant charge you for that stuff that had nothing to do with you. the towing and storage was prior to you owning it and didnt include you. They have no case on you.
The salvage yard did me a favor by selling me the car. The didn't HAVE to. I was sitting there for 5 months though so selling it did clear out some room for another vehicle and get them some quick cash. The salvage yard hasn't called me. The towing company on the other hand was the one making those aligations. See there are a few things that change seeing how I am getting the title back, but you are right in that seeing how the towing company sold the vehicle, any lien they had should be satisfied. There is no lien on the car itself so I don't know how they are going to do it. I am going to be spending a lot of time at t he law library trying to figure out more on how this all works. I still gotta find out when and what type of trials to schedule.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

delete

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 08-16-2005 at 01:16 PM.

delete

delete

Old 08-15-2005, 03:32 PM

Bad news...

I went to court today. the guy from the towing company didn't even show up. The judge dismissed the case on the grounds that there wasn't anything to dispute over. He said as long as I've got the bill of sale, that's enough for proof of ownership and he said he couldn't force the towing company change their mind about changing the status of the vehicle even though I wasn't asking him for that, just to tell the DMV to reverse it. He said he couldn't order the DMV to do anything either. I will call the attorney that helped me earlier on tomorrow or sometime later and see what he says because both attorneys I talked sounded like I could've had more done for me.

Also just got off the phone with the DMV in California and it doesn't look good. They are telling me if I tried to title it there it wouldn't go through because they would talk to the florida DMV and once they found out it had a COD (non-repairable), they would reject it. My options are getting slimmer and I have to move it back on base soon too.

------------------------------------
EDIT: yea my POS internet provider is crap (mediacom) and for some reason I get alot of timeouts no mater where I go so I keep hitting submit till it said I posted. didn't know it would let me post all those at one. I thought it stopped you from posting more than one in so many seconds so I didn't look to see how many times it posted.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 08-16-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM

Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6..stock exept v8 intake
Transmission: 700r4
ive heard of double posts but 4. DAMN YOU ARE THE MAN!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:31 PM

I am going to submit the dismissal that I got from the court along with the paperwork the DMV sent me back to the DMV seeing how the towing company and salvage yard are not objecting me owning the car...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:31 PM

DELETE, double post again... POS ISP...
Old 08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Sounds crazy. Are you out of options? I probably would call every states DMV to find out which one I could get a title from. I hope it works out for you. Otherwise you may have to part out a good car. Keep us informed.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Not out just yet, but one of my last ones is also going to be most expensive (well that depends). I have a friend here whos is from new york and he says it isn't that hard to get a title from up there and then once I get the title transfered to me I can try and get it titled in california seeing how I still can (I think). I'm going to hold off until I get word from DMV.

I got some new cylinder heads for the engine so hopfully I can put it back together and start her up for the first time in almost 2 years.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:48 PM

well before I send in all the paperwork to the DMV I am going to look for papers that were either filed wrong or not at all. I think I found one and if so, could be grounds to nullify the COD. I believe it states in the laws that it's not valid if anything is wrong or not filed.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Legal wangle

This may sound stupid but have you thought of consulting an attorney. Most will at least let you explain your situation before charging you and that may give you a better idea as to what your options are. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM

yea I talked to 2 of them while writing my declaratory judgment. What I am trying to do no one else has done before so that's what makes it very difficult since no one has ever tried to fight a COD, attorneys don't really look much into those laws and if they had to, they would charge me. Actually the second attorney I talked to ($75 consultation) looked through some statutes, but came across nothing that I didn't already know. I read all the info pertaining to this, but it's but alittle while so maybe over the weekend I can reread it and see what I come up with. There's really not all too much on it because the COD is supposed to be final, but there are small loopholes. I just have to find one...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:34 PM

Well the package has been sent so now it's just a waiting game. They can still say no and I'm still not sure if they can reverse that COD, but it sure sounded like they could.

I got my 350 installed in my yellow camaro and it runs great!! took long enough though for the parts and programs to be sent. Anyhow now I've got transportation again. I also swapped my old 305 longblock with someone who worked at the auto shop for some later model 305 heads. they happen to be exactly the same type as the ones that came off so I'm just going to install them and get it running for now. I might be able to install the heads and intake this weekend if all goes well.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:32 AM

Still no news yet... I have not received a call (kinda figured I wouldn't) nor have I got any mail from them. This is good, but also can be bad. Last time it took a few weeks to get it back. I found waiting is all I can do. I am hoping for the best, but it's hard not to think about all that could go wrong.

The engine is almost completly rebuilt. If anyone has a digital camera and can take some pictures of their intake bolts and vacuum lines it would be greatly appreciated. It's been so long since I tore it apart that I can't remember where everything goes. The chiltons and haynes don't show it.

Quick Reply: '92 RS 25th Anniversary