Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

ouch....fender support rail help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
ouch....fender support rail help

ok i had the body shop check and the frame is not bent,

this is a 92 rs 25th anniversy i bought off an insurance company

how do i bend/ pull this back into place? what tools do i need, and any tips fender on fender off?

how bad is this

Old 06-28-2005, 06:56 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Re: ouch....fender support rail help

Originally posted by porkyzilla
ok i had the body shop check and the frame is not bent,
Yes, yes it is. see where you're holding the washer fluid bottle, the fender is bolted to the frame.The strut tower appears to be touching the master cyl as well... shouldn't be quite that close.
If they were talking about the overall car being tweaked, might not be but, the front is boned

You're going to need to find a good frame repair shop and some donor parts. Most of that can be pulled back into place and at least a section between the strut tower and rad supprt appears like it will need to be sectioned in.

I'm not a pro... just my opinion.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
get a new fender, inner fender, and core support, put them on, then send it back to that frame repair shop and since they lied to you, tell them that they get to fix it for you for free

edit: oh, and a new hood. The hood is salvageable, but you'll spend more money at a body shop to have it fixed than you could get one from a junkyard and have it repainted proper color.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1984 TRANS AM AERO (PAINT SO DEEP
Engine: 305 CARBED
Transmission: 700 R-4/Vette Servo mod
, and a new hood. The hood is salvageable, but you'll spend more money at a body shop to have it fixed than you could get one from a junkyard and have it repainted proper color.
No, no that hood is not "salvageable"
There are convoluted reinforcements on the back side of the hood that are most assuredly damaged. And as such, are not repairable.
And if someone tells you they are, they need to be flogged.
It IS a saftey issue, the hood will never react the same in another crash, if repaired.
Now, is your FRAME damaged??? The only way to tell is to measure it. If they didn't do this , you really don't know.
The part you are looking at is the upper rail and apron...While structural, not really a "FRAME" rail. But, by all means do not take this lightly, while it CAN be damaged, and no damages to the rail, the strut tower may be moved, as well as the apron.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:53 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4
yes, the "frame" is damaged, and by frame i refer to the unitised body that IS the car, the car IS the frame. it needs worked plain and simple.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 RS
Engine: a slow one
Transmission: a crunchy one
Axle/Gears: a whiny one
Get a new fender and hood, wheel well, from a junkyard off a decently straight car. bolt them up and see if the geometry of the strut tower is corrected.

it may just be all of the mounting points are screwed off, it looks like the hit was kind of high, so it most definitely could've just bent the sheet metal back while leaving the actual frame rail below alone.

if the strut tower is still all pushed in like that once the new stuff is bolted in, or if you have considerable problems bolting in the new stuff, your frame is probably bent.

if so, i'd just put it all together, find a replacement rim and such, spraybomb it real quick, and sell the car as a daily driver.

plenty of 16year old kids who want a cheap camaro to beat the crap out of anyways.

also... if the insurance totalled that car and then kept it, the frame is probably bent. because it wouldn't have cost them hardly **** to slap a new fender and hood on there.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
Originally posted by Dizturbed One
Get a new fender and hood, wheel well, from a junkyard off a decently straight car. bolt them up and see if the geometry of the strut tower is corrected.

it may just be all of the mounting points are screwed off, it looks like the hit was kind of high, so it most definitely could've just bent the sheet metal back while leaving the actual frame rail below alone.

if the strut tower is still all pushed in like that once the new stuff is bolted in, or if you have considerable problems bolting in the new stuff, your frame is probably bent.

if so, i'd just put it all together, find a replacement rim and such, spraybomb it real quick, and sell the car as a daily driver.

plenty of 16year old kids who want a cheap camaro to beat the crap out of anyways.

also... if the insurance totalled that car and then kept it, the frame is probably bent. because it wouldn't have cost them hardly **** to slap a new fender and hood on there.
id start checking out prices again we are talking about todays rate of 100 an hour, even if it was purely cosmetical an actual body shop doesnt like to bend into place they like to repair,

its 7K in dammage but speak to the right person and can get it done for 1K minus painting