Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Camaro or Formula

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: T5
Camaro or Formula

Well I guess i am in a dillema now so to say. My Pontiac formula is in superb condition with only 18000 miles on it. I thought about doing some modifications to my formula but why bother on a mint car when I have my Camaro (87 Iroc 116k miles with a 305 tpi). Well the things the camaro need are the usual high millage car needs, shocks, tires, brakes etc. The trans is about to go and what I am thinking now is just redoing the iroc engine and motor what to you guys think I dont know what the hell to do.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
think that me and everyone else here is going to say to keep the formula stock, or, any modifications that are done to it, ensure that they can be reversed, as that vehicle may command some higher $$ one of these days. As for the camaro, sounds like it's a "nothing special" vehicle, however, 116,000 miles still is pretty decent, especially considering the cars age.

If you were planning on modifying one of the two, id let it be the latter.

If you are unsure as to what to do, i'd say to just look over the boards. See what others have done, see what you like, see what others are thinking of doing, and make your decision from that. Picking your favorite color and having it painted that color is always a good start, new rims? better brakes? new interior? different engine( big block? LS1? LT1?) possibilities are endless, just do what makes you happy.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
ask yourself these questions:

1. will i be doing a disservice to the collector community (ie modifing a rare car, like a b4c or TTA)

2. do i ever intend on selling this car.

if 1 or two are "yes" forget it.

also-

what is my end goal? if both 1 and two are no for both cars it may come down to which is better suited for your ultimate goal. i asume both 5.0. you may want to leave the formy alone and replace the tired iroc engine with a built up 5.7.

also think of it this way: modified cars tend to have little to no focus on interior or clenliness, which car would you rather take a date out in. for me that would be the formula, causing me to mod the iroc. but it all comes down to personal prefrence.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:44 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: T5
Originally posted by Xophertony
ask yourself these questions:

1. will i be doing a disservice to the collector community (ie modifing a rare car, like a b4c or TTA)

2. do i ever intend on selling this car.

if 1 or two are "yes" forget it.

also-

what is my end goal? if both 1 and two are no for both cars it may come down to which is better suited for your ultimate goal. i asume both 5.0. you may want to leave the formy alone and replace the tired iroc engine with a built up 5.7.

also think of it this way: modified cars tend to have little to no focus on interior or clenliness, which car would you rather take a date out in. for me that would be the formula, causing me to mod the iroc. but it all comes down to personal prefrence.
Well I would be doing a bad thing to my formula if I modded it. My iroc has decent interior and i dont really care that the paint is bad. the thing that I am wondering is how hard would it be to stuff a 396bb into the iroc considering I already have this motor in my possesion, it just needs a rebuild and to be cleaned up, I sure as hell know that I am going to need to beef up the suspension and obviously the trans. But the $$$ kind of scares me though.