Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Headlight Issue, NOT MOTOR OR ELECTRICAL!. (didn't find in search)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 305 5.0L 171RWHP, 263 RWT
Transmission: 700R4
Headlight Issue, NOT MOTOR OR ELECTRICAL!. (didn't find in search)

ok I'm not super pissed about this or anything, but anyways.. here goes.

My car was hit, I know it was, I can see some of the crumple on the rad support, and the passenger side fender is bent because the dents weren't pulled properly when the car was painted. Besides that the guy who painted the car doesn't know how to line ground effects up, or how to add the right amount of hardner to paint.. Anyways, it was painted before I bought it.

Well, I was at the junkyard, so I got new headlight bezels since mine looked like crap (the one on the drivers side says "Pontiac" those black trim pieces around the head lights). So I take the old ones off, look at them, and go, wtf? Because the guy CUT THE BOTTOMS OFF! I was trying to figure out why the hell someone would do this, because it didn't make sense.

Anyways, I put the new bezels on.. and go to close my lights.. turns out the bottom of the bezel is hitting some metal piece on the nose preventing the freaking headlight from closing. So I push my headlights back, so they can close, and then in turn have my hood moved back, so that the headlights still clear. Well now I have an almost half inch gap between the front nose, and the hood line.. it looks like crap and I hate looking at it. The nose doesn't have much room for play... not sure if I can really move it much, and since the paint job is ****, I'm terrified to move any fenders or the nose for fear of the paint cracking off (I took out a rear tail light to change bulbs.. rested it on the bumper.. AND IT TOOK OFF PAINT!) anyone ever have a problem like this before? If the car waits about another 2 years it will eventually see a talented body man, but I'd like to fix it somehow in the mean time?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI - LB9
Transmission: 700R
Re: Headlight Issue, NOT MOTOR OR ELECTRICAL!. (didn't find in search)

Digging up this old thread... did you find an answer to this? I have the exact same issue. Apparently this car's whole front end was replaced at one point - it's a GTA front end, with the medallion even - but I know it's not the original nose - different VIN number.

I was looking at it - sure, I could shave it down some too - but I'd really rather not. I was going to try using a washer or two to shim it some, but that might make the headlights stick up a bit too far..

Oh and... it has the gold Pontiac logo on the driver's side - so I believe the headlights were replaced with the nose as well.

Last edited by Overcast32; 06-19-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI - LB9
Transmission: 700R
Re: Headlight Issue, NOT MOTOR OR ELECTRICAL!. (didn't find in search)

Just in case anyone else runs across this...

I found my problem was simply adjustment. Loosen all the bolts up and move it back some - it's a bit time consuming to get just right - but I got it clearing the inside of the bumper assembly just fine now.