Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

fiberglass hood problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fiberglass hood problems

I have a fiberglass hood that blew apart when I was driving. It scared me like you wouldn't believe. I must have been going 70-80 and I went to pass a truck. I stepped on it to go around him and the hood blew off, but left the framework. I have pics: http://agnus.datazap.net/sites/14/hood/

I have an 89 TTA engine and the intercooler scoop pushes air under the hood. This hood was from a car with cross-fire injection. The air cleaner was part of the hood. I took all that off, but I never closed the holes. So, that probably added more pressure to the underside of the hood. It is funny because now it seems to use less gas on the interstate (without the hood - I had to drive it home after it blew off). So, it must have been adding a lot of resistance and had to be failing for some time.

I would really like to find another hood that I could use my custom made hood liner with (looks better than in the pictures and is real dusty now - I drive this car every chance I get - and it is really dusty here in AZ). I'm just not sure if I want another fiberglass hood and I am wondering if fiberglass hoods are safe after what happened with this one? I have been thinking of looking for a hood with vents to let air out. I believe that the TTA had them, did they ever make a hood like this for a Camaro? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: fiberglass hood problems

The TTA hood was no different than the GTA hoods. In other words, the vents didn't let air pressure out. all 4 are just cosmetic.

Funny how the skin peeled off. Even funnier....I've seen that happen a few times before. Pics of cars with the bottom half still latched, but no outer skin on them. No idea what caused the others to peel.