Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Hideaway headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hideaway headlight problems

Ive noticed alot of people haveing problems with the headlights and paying alot of money to get them fixed when its just the bearing inside going bad. Ive also seen people buying plastic round parts to put inside of the gears to make them work but that cost like 10$ on ebay. It may have already been posted but just thought i would throw it out there but you can buy 6 small nuts i forgot the size ive used but will post the size little latter and it will only cost you like 60 cents to fix them. or 1.20 for both. simple use the nuts instead of any bearing parts that you can buy and it will last alot longer and be alot stronger. And is alot cheaper.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.0 :( wanna go bigger
Re: Hideaway headlight problems

Im interested in the size, do you mean a metal nut a la home cheapo? Wont that do more damage than good? The interior gearing is plastic if I remember correctly... Over time I would think that the nuts would wear that down till it no longer works, permantly... PICS if you go em
Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 AM

Car: '86 Firebird
Engine: '85 TPI on crate 350
Transmission: T-5 man
Re: Hideaway headlight problems

headlight motors from '82 - '86 have a metal worm gear that drives a nylon or plastic reduction gear that drives the final gear that pivots the arm to raise or lower the headlight bucket. the '87 on us a metal worm gear that drives a nylon gear that pivots the arm that raises / lowers ...
There is not a single bearing in any of these motor assymblies that I can think of. Bushings yes... Bearings, no.
If you are refering to using the nuts to replace the bumpers that cushon the gear when the metal arm/ shaft hits a stop once the bucket is fully raised/lowered... That is a bad idea. I have 2 '86 motors that have teeth broken off of both nylon gears due to the jarring stop, also the worm gear has worn grooves in the reduction gear for the same reason. the cushoning is needed.
If I misunderstood you, please help me see the light.
Tony