Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 350 bored .030 over w/ 6-71 Weiand
Transmission: Turbo 400
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/ 4.56 gears
Re: What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?

Nothing really ghetto...but the previous owner did have purple neon installed under the car!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 420HP ZZ4 350
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:11's

Originally Posted by Krios
bored holes into the door and the side of the car and installed a pad lock..... they were actually using the car as a daily driver, by holding the door shut with a padlock
Thats some funny **** right there. padlock holding the door shut...wow
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Coupe
Engine: 5.0-liter (305) TBI V8
Transmission: 700R4-speed automatic overdrive
Axle/Gears: stock/2.73

well instead of trying to find out why the door isnt lining up right and latching, the morons that owned the car before more, actually bored holes into the door and the side of the car and installed a pad lock..... they were actually using the car as a daily driver, by holding the door shut with a padlock
Padlocks, sandwiches and underwear as repair for these cars. OMG! People who dreamt of these cars and worked on them who have passed away have to be rolling over in their graves about this thread!

ROFLMAO! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Car: 1987 chevy camaro iroc-z28 305 h.o.
Engine: 305 high output
Transmission: 700r4

well lets see........ lol, the tv cable broke at the tb so i zip tied it on, still works 2 months and 4000 miles later, bought brand new wipers, broke 2 days later, zip tied those on
the facia has always peeled paint so everytime i see paint chip i just walk up with a rattle can of black paint and cover it some guy put in an after market alarm, so i just cut all the wires goin to it.... then the fuse went out for the fuel pump, and i didnt know that was the problem, i didnt know there were 2 fuses... so i ran a positive wire to the fuel pump, that included cranking the car for like 30 seconds before starting, then i had a toggle switch that didtn work so i jsut connected the ends together. plus the stereo was off that same wire, and so was the tach and the radio cuz there were wiring problems

but all those are fixed now except the zip ties, and the paint, but the car is gettin painted in 2 weeks so oh well

plus my front bumper is held on with 3/8" bolts and nuts.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 V8 LB9
Transmission: 4 sp. Auto-4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I stand corrected. Ghetto fixes...4th gen stereo NOT bolted in and still in the Third Gen pod, and FIERO HVAC controls not even wide enough to bolt down on both sides. The console faceplate is just sitting on there with three of the four clip mounts broken off.

And this...

Yes, that's a heater-core bypass with a Lowe's Ball Valve. Gotta love it.
We SO need a "facepalm" emoti.

Last edited by blg0720; 07-10-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 AM

Car: 86 coupe
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27 posi

I bought a '67 camaro once where the guy had used stock 3/4" lug nuts to bolt the aluminum slot rims on. 200 miles later the studs bored out the holes in the rims so badly one of the wheels fell off! wondered what that shaking in the back was.
When i was 17 i had a chevy II with a huge hole in the floor, pop rivets and galvanized sheet metal should do the trick right? bolted the bench seat right to the sheet metal with some washers so the bolts wouldn't pull out. on acceleration or braking the seat turned into a rocking chair! hard acceleration would nearly rip your hands off the steering wheel. thank goodness it was only a 6 cylinder. i even bolted seat belts to the "new" floor. then i crammed 10" wide tires into the tiny wheel wells. after a week or so the smoke clouds finally started to calm down. she sure was pretty on the outside tho.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM

When I started tearing my car apart I found a rectangular piece of marble under the left rear part of the drivers seat. If had obviously been used to snort cocain off of, and had been placed there to wedge the seat up since the bar that is was bolted through had rusted to pieces lol.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

lol i love this thred

i just thought of something, one of my friends had a late 70's olds cutlass and the thermostat kept stickin on it and the bolts were messed up, sooo he kept hitting the water neck with a squegee handle to pop it open once it was hot
Old 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: Carb'd 350
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

My 91 Rs that i recently purchased a few months had expanding foam on two different spots on the firewall to cover rust, my exhaust was held on loosely with a zip tie that fell off while i was driving and the exhaust had like this tin foil material holding two pieces of together from the catalytic converter back. Also the po had the car "freshly" painted but in some spots looks like a two year old could of done better, parking lamps were painted over. Headliner is held up with thumb tachs. Has aftermarket rpm tach that i'm not even sure where that wired got some random wire running into one of the fuses on the fuse box. Heater core has also been bypassed in some odd way.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:25 PM

Car: 1991 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

I just found my ultimate!

I opened up a 1982 T top to see what it would take to swap the mechanism out. Inside the previous owner attemped to seal it from leaking with some mattress foam and.... half a pack of Marlboros! They are are atleast 20 years old and look like they are made from a treasure map.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Car: 88 iroc-z
Engine: Year one 383 Extreme Tork
Transmission: Tremec TKO 500
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt

My exhaust was just redone and I realized those exhaust hangers used to hold up sweaters and pants...lol... also the seals on the rear hatch had been replaced with silicone. Apparently this can be done by putting on lots of silicone and covering it with saran wrap or that clear wrap and shutting the hatch. Then after the silicone hardens take the plastic off. lol pretty crafty also spray paint it black... My clutch peddle assembly was held together with an elastic after the bolt went mia. lol id fix it but I've never had a problem lol
Old 07-22-2009, 12:10 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

I can tell you the most ghetto thing I've done and that was put the ground effects using curtain brackets......the first time!!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Car: 88 iroc-z
Engine: Year one 383 Extreme Tork
Transmission: Tremec TKO 500
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt

Originally Posted by RED_DRAGON_85
i was about to do that too, but decided to get a new steering wheel.
my problem was the horn button was f-ed. i cleaned every contact, but nothing got better.
to get the horn to work, you had to push it halfway, twist clockwise, then push the rest of the way.
Haha How can you be mad and use this horn? I think it would drive me nuts never being able to just lay on it!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 AM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 305tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9bolt

well i too am fortunate to have a virtually unmolested camaro. all the mods i have done are done correctly also. my 74 dodge w100 on the otherhand has a few ghetto mods done, my favorite is that someone used a piece of tupperware and silicone to fix my cracked heater box lol
Old 07-22-2009, 12:51 AM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: stock

well th po did a hack job on the aftermarket stereo, i mean come on a harness cost 5-7 dollars, in all it was ruinued had to rewire the setup. and then im guessing they jacked the car up were the front fender bolts below the car. lond story short it split the welds and i had massive amount of water in the passeger side when i went over a puddle.... i half assed fixed this by filling the area with silicone, but it woked... i plan on getting it straighten and welded soon
Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 91 camaro rs
well i too am fortunate to have a virtually unmolested camaro. all the mods i have done are done correctly
I've done several "hood" things to my car over the course of 15 years myself man. Think of it as being young and stupid and then growing older and wiser.

Now, the mods that I "ghettorigged" back then, are done properly now by yours truly with custom parts. It didn't hurt having more money now either.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:19 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2.8 :(
Transmission: 4 speed :( wish it was 5

Originally Posted by ellocojorge
well th po did a hack job on the aftermarket stereo, i mean come on a harness cost 5-7 dollars, in all it was ruinued had to rewire the setup. and then im guessing they jacked the car up were the front fender bolts below the car. lond story short it split the welds and i had massive amount of water in the passeger side when i went over a puddle.... i half assed fixed this by filling the area with silicone, but it woked... i plan on getting it straighten and welded soon

the first part of that happened to me as well <_<

they had installed a custom sound system and instead of leaving the original plug and wires there, they cut them completely out

had to rewire the whole damn thing
Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 AM

the first part of that happened to me as well <_<

they had installed a custom sound system and instead of leaving the original plug and wires there, they cut them completely out

had to rewire the whole damn thing
That's just ridiculous isn't it?! I did that too on the first stereo! For the second one, I bought the wiring harness and rewired everything properly. Same harness worked for the third stereo. Live and learn!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:14 AM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by Guro 305
That's just ridiculous isn't it?! I did that too on the first stereo! For the second one, I bought the wiring harness and rewired everything properly. Same harness worked for the third stereo. Live and learn!!!!
the harness makes everything fool proof. the stereo the po hasd installed kept doing all sorts of weird things. im happy now though, i bough a clarion, and im running my speaker with a kicker amp
Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM

My heater box was cracked, so the guy before me took duck tape and taped over it,,, then took shop towels and fiberglass resign and covered the thing lol... needless to say, I went and got a good used one at a junkyard. But in reality, how in the world do you crack one of those things?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Car: 1986 T/A
Engine: #880 350 4BBL, VORTEC HEADS
Transmission: t500
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Let's see, Fuel filter was installed backwards,Holley hi-flow fuel pump mounted to strut tower a foot from a 750cfm carb under a 10 inch aircleaner. (3504bbl) Wires that are spliced that change colour evertime they are grounded to a screw. One wire was white,then taped to a green, then taped to a black wire and grounded on the strut tower. I still don't know where it goes. Shifter handle was screwed into shifter stick. Zip ties everywhere as well as to hold the already melted distributor wires. Every screw holding vinyl door panel on doors is a different colour and fitting...philips here,allen there.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:53 AM

Car: '89 RS camaro 305 TBI
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: yep, has those too (stock)

Even in europe we´re not quite safe from ghetto style fixes.

Some things are impossible. Cars are taken from the street when body panels are fixed foam, wood, cardboard etc.

Still, I was surprised to find that my exhaust is fixed to the car with a collection of zip ties.

I removed the almost but not quite neons which in reality were christmas decoration fitted to the car and connected to a dahboard switch with washing line. Replaced the washing line with a set of electric wire allowing me to for a manual fan switch.

I will still have to remove the underdash cover and loathe to think of the electric mess I´ll find there. At this point I still have to find out why the rear speaker wires change colour from console to speaker and why they do not work but I think I´ll find out when removing the dashboard.

Apart from that I think the car was a pretty good purchase. No rust, chassis needs some work but it´s cleaning and coating more then anything really.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Car: Camaro coupe
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Power steering belt broke on a short trip. was closer to walmart than I was autoparts store. So i bought a 4 foot Zip tie and wrapped around crank, water pump and powersteering. Would like to say it actually held for 6 months. Plese dont laugh....haha
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Car: 90 Formula WS6, 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 305 TBI, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4w/vette servos
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Open, 3.42 Open

Apparently there's something wrong with my heater core on my 86 cause the PO disconnected it and put a hose from the water pump to the return spout. Ya know I didn't buy another car so I could take another dash apart, ah well. That's what ya get for $500.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 PM

I guess I'm alone then. Other than stuff I did, nothing ghetto was ever done to my f-body. Oh wait a minute!!!! I remember ONE now.

Somehow, I'm not sure why but the previous owner had paid for this extremely expensive paint job which really was beautiful (black cherry) but was a b!tch to maintain. Anyway, the P.O. had the rims painted like a beige color which wasnt bad but for whatever reason one of them was painted the black cherry that the car was. If all four were painted black cherry, they would've been very sweet looking.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM

the guy b 4 me duck tape the spark pulg wires to gater and bater calbe to
Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 PM

Car: 1989 GTA, 1985 T/A
Engine: L98, LG4
Transmission: Slush-o-matic 700R
Axle/Gears: stock and stock

Had a GTA parts car that was being used as a DD before they ripped the motor and digital dash out and into an S10 of all things. Drivers frame rail was made of a piece of 3 inch structural channel (which broke lose under my massive 180lbs weight), a good portion of the rear of the car was made of spray foam and the t-top bar and shifter opening in the floor (manual) had been replaced in the past. Also saw one car (not mine) that had a open element air cleaner installed on it, but the new stud for the carb was too tall and went straight through the hood, sticking out about 1/4 inch.

I need to get crappier parts cars so I can have more competitive stories here!!

Last edited by 89junkyardgta; 07-27-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Vortec Demon 650CFM
Axle/Gears: Posi

P.O of my 90 RS decided to staple the headliner up and did a crappy job everytime u hit a bump and staple would hit you lol
Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac trans am GTA 5 speed
Engine: 5.0L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Borg Warner World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Rear

hey guys, for the past hour ive been reading alot of posts for the past few months and, let me tell you, its good to see soo many people with Third Gens and all of everyones mods and projects going. My gta project has been sitting out rusting for the past few months due me recovering from my injurys ( I fell off a roof thirty feet down).

I have two major Ghetto Rig jobs done on my Firebird out of the many that I found, these two had me saying Holyyyy Crap!!

1) I dont know if you would consider this Ghetto rigged or what But Check this out... I cant find the Picture, But My previous owner Bought a BBK 53mm or 50mm throttle body. they go for about $300 + . I always heard a Whistle under the hood, never found out what it was till the day I Took apart the engine.. a 53 mm Throttle body On the stock Plenum with No Dye Grinding, NOTHING.. A Performance job turned into a whistling Rig..

2) then we got the best of them all.....The Ground Effects package on my 90' GTA Held on with Not sheet metal screws, But DRYWALL SCREWS, and to top it all off, Not Bondo, Noooooo, PLASTER to cover the screws! lol

" What do we got to work with JJ?.. ( a Ton of Probems ) "

These wheels I had, You should of seen the crap wheels that were on it..Not that it mattered.. Besides the hood missing ( that was me taking it off) this is how I got her... She dont look this bad anymore though!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac trans am GTA 5 speed
Engine: 5.0L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Borg Warner World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Rear

Upper pic taken in in the end of 2005....I have new pictures i got to get them up..I had to do alot to save this car, and I can finally say after the wiring harness stuff, All I got to do is get her painted and wheels refinished
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up

Originally Posted by 905SpeedGTA
My gta project has been sitting out rusting for the past few months due me recovering from my injurys ( I fell off a roof thirty feet down).
Glad you're getting better. On a technical point it's not the fall that causes the pain it's the sudden stop at the end! Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

2) then we got the best of them all.....The Ground Effects package on my 90' GTA Held on with Not sheet metal screws, But DRYWALL SCREWS, and to top it all off, Not Bondo, Noooooo, PLASTER to cover the screws! lol
I noticed the Zip-tie holding the Gfx to the fender. Classic!

" What do we got to work with JJ?.. ( a Ton of Probems ) "
JJ's favorite line was "F*ck it, lets have a drink and think about it!"
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM

do we consider it ghetto or red neck when we roll around the city with no hood.. Been there done that. I had it off because my latch broke a week before and my hood flew up and bent in half. so i took it off headnig to the junk yard so i could put it on down there. But all the hillbillys thought it was the coolest thing..... oh and not to mention my exhaust was so rusty i had my buddys dad who worked at carx make me two pipes that came off the manifold and exited at the front wheels.
Loud, yes. cool not really
Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 AM

the PO took it to mieneke auto repair for rotors, pads, calipers, brake fluid flush, and oil change absolutely none of that was done except for pads and rotors go to change it i find 5 minute steel alllllllllllll over the exhaust and where they "fixed" the exhaust leak there was high temp silicone which ended up blowing out xD they had welded an exhaust hanger straight to the frame.....and a huge metal square bar was cut welded to the frame and matched up to bolt to the frame to stop the drivers side floor board from falling out cause it was rusted. then the guy tried to replace a dented fender couldn't get it off and decided to leave the bolts he could get to out xD then he had a battery made for like a ****ing 4 cylinder in the car...no brains. Then when i looked into the trunk/hatch area there was duct tape lining speaker wires so they wouldn't fall back through the hole they drilled into it...then i wreck the car yesterday xD
Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by Goany
...then i wreck the car yesterday xD
After describing the mees it was, I'll consider it an assisted suicide
Old 08-02-2009, 04:13 PM

Car: 1982
Transmission: 350

just bought a 88 camaro and the guy had a glass starbux coffie bottle for a radiator overflow lol
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Vortec Demon 650CFM
Axle/Gears: Posi

Originally Posted by SnistahRS
My 91 Rs that i recently purchased a few months had expanding foam on two different spots on the firewall to cover rust, my exhaust was held on loosely with a zip tie that fell off while i was driving and the exhaust had like this tin foil material holding two pieces of together from the catalytic converter back. Also the po had the car "freshly" painted but in some spots looks like a two year old could of done better, parking lamps were painted over. Headliner is held up with thumb tachs. Has aftermarket rpm tach that i'm not even sure where that wired got some random wire running into one of the fuses on the fuse box. Heater core has also been bypassed in some odd way.
hmm your thumbtacks or my staples
Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 AM

you know i just added at the top something ghetto i did to my car, I didnt realize it said youve found on your car.... Can i take mine back. lol
Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM

Car: 84 Berlinetta

in my hood under my battery was a piece of wood with wallpaper on the otherside of the wood that was holding the battery over a huge hole of rusted metal. lol
Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Car: 2x88 Camaro RS and 95 Grand AM
Engine: LG-3 305CI/400Ci GM 3100 V6
Transmission: 700R4/TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.08 10-Bolt/3.42 10-Bolt Posi

Let's see, where shall I begin? Lets start with the wiring? The stereo was pulled and instead of unplugging it from the harness they cut every wire. Then proceeded to wire the Oil pressure gauge to the stereo hot!! Of course, the sender for that leaked like a gusher!! They pulled the 2.8L from the car and cut EVERY wire from under the hood they could find. The ones they did fix all they did was twist and tape them as a repair. On to the motor and trans. I have fuel lines strung across the motor, over the water pump. Since they left off the A/C compressor they have all the belts screwed up and left all the old mounts on the motor. The old smog pump bracket still attached. Oh yeah, they pulled the 190 RWHP V6 and replaced it with a 1977 LG-3 305 out of a Chevy Monza. Put a new intake, headers, 3" exhaust and Eldebrock 1405 Carb. Left the old Radiator and air intake from the TPI. The trans has no dust shield so my flywheel is exposed. That 305 is 140 RWHP stock by the way ... LMAO !! They dropped a tall a** cam in it for top end power. It takes off the line like a dog! At least the TH350 can bolt onto anything I decide to drop into it ... My list goes on and on. I didn't even get to the interior yet.....
Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I found a hole cut in my trunk and was pieced back together with duck tape as the adhesive.
And I found out that they had replaced the Alternators positive with a amp power cable leaving the other cable attached after they had modified the amp cable to work with the alternator letting it hang lose and find out driving it home the day I bought it after see my world light up.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Car: 84 frankenstein Z28
Axle/Gears: 3.73

My Camaro had been wrecked before along with an engine replacement, so I had everything from cut up wires to bondo that was built up and smoothed in place of the rear quarter ground effect. The driver side door had been replaced but when it came time to rewire the power/window/locks/ etc they used only one color of wire. This also holds true for all the rewiring that was done because of the engine swap. All new wires that were added were orange. That my dear friends will give you quite a headache tracking anything down. I also had:

-A push button horn under the headlight switch.
-The rest of the ground effects sheet metal screwed in
-A number of interior pieces held in with sheet metal screws
-A pillow covering the torn and gutted driver seat
-the extra vacuum ports on the carb plugged with the classis hose and large screw
-A screwdriver in the pass. seat to use to open the hatch (lock missing)
-torque arm was not mounted to tranny, when it went into reverse it banged the ground
(correction the torque arm was mounted to the tranny by a custom rigged bracket and was bolted together with puny 1/4 inch bolts that had snapped. This bracket also only allowed 3 of the 4 tallhousing bolts to be used)
Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Transmission: TH350C

i have a 91 camaro someone decided to put a carbed 350 in. well they got a little lazy and put a 3/8 ratchet exctension in one of the heater hoses. another hose they had a cork from a wine bottle shoved in it lol.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI

my t-top broke so i bought a used one off of a 87 RS from pick a part and it didnt lock right soooo.....i took a rock and wedged it in between the two sides in the middle..bout 2 weeks later...it flew off goin 60mph...great. lol.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

ha mine came with wood to hold up the hood and hatch as well, at no charge to me(until i bought the supports), only other problem ive had(and still havent tackled) is my driver door, i know my car was wrecked, but when i bought the camaro it looked almost perfect, now after having it for 3 years, a chip came off the door and the fiberglass was about a quater inch thick, so i cracked a little more off and i find the door is completely smashed in and the PO used a S*IT ton of bondo to fill the bottom half of the door, and make it look good, until now, probably gonna pick up a new door and do my best to repair the original so i can keep all original body on her

a buddy of mine bought an rs and the PO let him keep the nice cooler on the rear pass floor, he thought (cool free cooler) got it home pulled the cooler out and pass seat just falls back, made us laugh, it was a cheap fix but the guy would rather give him the cooler than tell him the seat was broke
Old 08-09-2009, 01:28 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8L
Axle/Gears: stock?

I have to admit, I did a ghetto fix of my own.
The cooling fan went out and there were no 3rd gens in the local junkyards with working fans..so I shoved one in from a 4th gen. Only the top bolts bolted in, but it was a slightly bigger fan and worked fine.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI

My first car at 16 was an 86 firebird v6, and it was in the want ads and the PO wrote in the ad "in dash cd player included". Yeah it was a portable cd player and 2 battery powered portable speakers shoved in the opening where the stock radio had been removed. And to boot, the wiring harness was all hacked up and taped off so it wouldn't short out.

On a side note the rear defroster never worked. I sold the car to a buddy to get a nicer 87 firebird, and it always killed him that the rear defrost never worked so he used to press the button all the time while driving. Well one day it just magically started working... and never stopped. It caught fire that night. Cause? faulty electrical somewhere in the rear of the car.

My current project, a 91 RS 305 TBI, has had reverse glow gauges installed by PO, and the needles light up when the headlights are off, but not when they are on. Makes it a real PITA to tell how fast you are going at night. Aftermarket HID headlights installed by PO are all tape-spliced together, no butt connectors or anything. Makes you wonder why someone would spend so much on the headlight kit, put so much work into a gauge cluster, or anything like that and risk it all burning up by using cheap tape to put it all together?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Car: '91 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 305 5.0L V8
Transmission: 4-Spd Auto

My '91 GTA that I got from my dad is pretty much perfect apart from normal wear and tear. Oh, and the fact that the exhaust is a hack job; literally. My dad wanted a cooler looking exhaust, so he bought some giant dual-tip Advance Auto tips. Thing is, the stock exhaust points down, so he hacked like a foot of it off and clamped in some piping from a swing set. Then he clamped the tips onto those.

I deserpately want a whole new exhaust, but I don't have the funds. The swing set piping is like a half centimeter thick. It's retardedly resitrictive.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 AM

Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 TPI, Comp 268xfi, bowtie heads

Ghetto things I found on my car (most have been fixed, not all yet)

The starter on my '91 rs was hooked up with wire nuts and lamp cord (to fix a blown fusible link)

Cruise control module was connected to the TB with a metal chain, like the pull cord from a closet light

Trunk latch was completely gone, trunk was held closed with bungee cord

Radiator overflow tank was a 2 liter coke bottle

A/C pressure switch was broken, so there was a paper clip wedged into the plug in the harness to make the A/C work

When installing a new radiator, I found a bunch of random tools (had been dropped from the hood latch area)

The "stereo" was a cheap set of computer speakers taped to the dash, with a 3.5mm headphone jack cable run through the center console to the storage compartment

And the funniest one was that the car ran poorly due to lack of fuel, the rubber hose in the fuel tank was split. So what did the PO do to "fix" the problem? Install 90# 454 injectors and block off the return line, of course! Had to fix the sending unit, the return line, put all the guts back in the FPR, AND get new injectors! (before ditching the TBI305 and converting to TPI)
Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 AM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Originally Posted by Ruiner
Ghetto things I found on my car (most have been fixed, not all yet)

The starter on my '91 rs was hooked up with wire nuts and lamp cord (to fix a blown fusible link)

Cruise control module was connected to the TB with a metal chain, like the pull cord from a closet light

Trunk latch was completely gone, trunk was held closed with bungee cord

Radiator overflow tank was a 2 liter coke bottle

A/C pressure switch was broken, so there was a paper clip wedged into the plug in the harness to make the A/C work

When installing a new radiator, I found a bunch of random tools (had been dropped from the hood latch area)

The "stereo" was a cheap set of computer speakers taped to the dash, with a 3.5mm headphone jack cable run through the center console to the storage compartment

And the funniest one was that the car ran poorly due to lack of fuel, the rubber hose in the fuel tank was split. So what did the PO do to "fix" the problem? Install 90# 454 injectors and block off the return line, of course! Had to fix the sending unit, the return line, put all the guts back in the FPR, AND get new injectors! (before ditching the TBI305 and converting to TPI)
wow!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 157 Likes on 146 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird
Engine: 3.4L V-6
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Whatever came stock!

well, nothing to my bird, but heres the list on the chevy s10 i got

1. no air clearner...but thats not bad
2. hacked wiring harness for the radio that was put together with masking tape, some kind of yellow wire, and telephone wire...thats why the radio worked.......sometimes
3. steering wheel that wasnt installed correctly, and the horn was a piece of wire you touched to make contact on the steering wheel hub
4. big red ugly button on the dash.....for a horn button that the po never finished because he found it was the wrong button and he left it to cover up the hole
5. missing glove box
6. windshield wipers would go on everytime you use the left turn signal
7. wiper arm from...i duno, something that wasnt a s10
8. 1 working dash light
9. missing ash tray which makes up part of the dash in this truck
10. center counsel removed for a bench seat that was trashed
11. and lots of dust and grime

i duno what happened to this truck before i got it but it was nasty eeveryhere, i just got it for the body and the 4.3 motor....scabby piece of junk in realtiy, but now you can at least sit in it without worrying about getting some kind of disease or something...

oh, almost forgot, converted power windows to manual,....he cut the wires and left it hanging, and the dorrs were from a crank window truck.....door pins werent even in the holes!! lol

Quick Reply: What is the most ghetto thing you've found done to your car?