Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Removing 1987 trans am floor pans

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Removing 1987 trans am floor pans

I would welcome any suggestions as to how to remove floor pans from my 87 trans am and where I should cut them with my grinder. Also, are there any hazards I should be aware of (i.e. draining the gas tank, should I remove the gas line?) Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Removing 1987 trans am floor pans

When I do floor pans, I'll start in the middle of each pan and work my way out. Basicly cutting a hole and working my way to the rockers and front subframe. I'll run the cutting disc along the inner rocker pannel leaving the spot welds attached to it. Then I'll use a grinding disc to grind down the spot welds. Same thing for the braces that run into the transmission tunnel. I prefer this method over a spot weld cutter. It's messier/noisier/more time consuming but I'd rather not deal with the holes a spot weld cutter makes. Depending on the motor you car cam with, the fuel lines may be running up the drivers side transmission tunnel then crossover right above where the transmission would be, look before cutting here. Brake lines will be running down the driver side frame rail, then join with the fuel lines.

Some general tips I've learned. Take everything out of the car. Every piece of fabric and plastic. This includes the dash. If you are doing both pans, becarful once you have both of them out. I've had cars flex by opening the doors once the floors were gone, this is especialy important on t-top cars. Sometimes it's easier to make cuts from underneith the car. Where eye/ear/hand protection when grinding.