Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

NOS vs Aftermarket body panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOS vs Aftermarket body panels

I need a hood for my Camaro. I want new, not used, just due to easier to prep, knowing no body work had been done, etc etc.

I have come across a NOS GM hood still in the box but I'm concerned with what would actually be a better choice. We all know the metal fabrication industry has come a long way in the past 20 years in regards to how durable body panels are when facing rust and corrosion. The cost of the NOS part vs. aftermarket is not a consideration at all, so that doesn't matter. I'm just concerned if a new aftermarket CAPA hood will have better rust preventative properties over a old 80's NOS piece of steel. Also then, if I just prime and paint the NOS GM hood properly inside and out with current PPG paint technology, would that take care of protecting the GM panel anyway? I would prefer the NOS part just due to have it all "GM" but if it comes down to an issue of durability, I'd go with an aftermarket hood.

Opinions / advice?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am, 1986 Gmc sierra
Transmission: 700r4
Re: NOS vs Aftermarket body panels

if you want a proper fit always go with a orignal part. All of the aftermarket body panels i have come across so far are total junk. I had a a salesman of aftermarket body panels tell me they are not even close. If you dont care about cash, then buy the nos one.

If you want to save cash and have a thinner metal, incorrect measurments, and wavy lines. buy aftermarket
Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm aware of fitment of cheaper replacement panels. I'm not dealing with that here.
I already said cost isn't any issue.

I"m only asking if the quality of the original 80s metal should be of any concern.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM

I see aftermarket panels every day and i would avoid them if possible. if it were my car i would rather prep a used hood then put a aftermarket one on. Another option would be fiberglass if your that worried about rust.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you talking about the flat RS hood on ebay for around $460?

I would definitely get the NOS panel, if you are painting it in and out with PPG, there is no way that thing should rust.

As it is, you have to severely neglect a car in order for even the hood to start rusting.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:29 AM

Car: 1982 Trans Am, 1986 Gmc sierra
Transmission: 700r4

so your asking the same question i anawered, i stated aftermarket companies use thinner metal!!! clearly you have no idea what your doing or what you want
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come

The original 80's hood would have thicker metal and therefore hold its proper stamping shape better. The thinner metal hoods can become wavy just because the tensions in the stamped metal cause the thinner to warp and become wavy. As for the rust protection spray the hood completely inside and out and you will be better than any newer rust prevention that aftermarket may have. Also the thicker metal will help if there happens to be any rust later. I am tryin to see how fitment can not be an issue. If that does not matter then a slightly wavy hood should not matter or a little plastic body filler. The body filler can be hidden if done properly but a bad fitting panel will show. Also as for rust protection with all the new materials out there the hood could be prepped underneath so that rust from the back would be nearly impossible. Even when I lived in New Hampshire with the salt on the roads the hood was the least of the concerns for rust problems.