Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

help with regulator

Old 02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 z28
help with regulator

do these rivets need to be removed for me to get the regulator out, also whats the best way to get rid of em. thanks
Attached Thumbnails help with regulator-rivets-1.jpg   help with regulator-rivets-2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: help with regulator

Drill them out
Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

i figured, gonna have to borrow a drill tomorrow and take care of them, then find bolts to fit in the holes for the new regulator/window, i swear i could just kill that kid who broke my window
Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

taking way to long to drill them, gonna try and use an air chisel when i have time tomorrow
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

This is for electrics but may give you an overview. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...tall-easy.html

It sould take a few seconds to drill them out, you may want to try a new drill bit.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

my advice to anyone doing it, is DONT but if your going to ignore the advice of someone who dd it, (swap all of it from one door to the other that is) then have a cutoff tool, air chisel, grinder, new bolts and lock washers and nuts at the ready, take it apart peice by peice, make damn sre you put it back together right (i had one of the tracks upside down because i didn't check to see how it went, use alot of wd 40 no need to strip the heads off bolts, make sure you have another person handy just to be a "get me that bitch" and a jack and alot of wood blocks to get the door set right, also take your ****ing time, it took me three days because i just had to hurry through it and f little **** up, anyways i had to "notch" a little chunk outta the top of the door to get the window (still in the track) inside of the door and after that i had to get all the tracks hooked up right to the regulator (i say hooked up i mean the little roller things in all the right ones) an then move the window up and down so that i could fit the new bolts up through the back of it and then lockwasher and nut the bolts, after that use the cutoff tool again this time to cut the bolts down so they'll fit under the door panel, after that putting the door on alone was a mess as i've said use old tires blcoks of woo milk crates, whatever you can to get the door on for one thing, then use a jack at different points on the door to get it aligned right later just getting it on is one battle, if you can line up the bottom hinge then set the door on the car is if it were shut, climb in from the other side an tighten the bottom 2 bolts from the inside the third one that goes in from the outside isn't really necessary and is a pain to get in and out so mine will remain out (really you only need 3 in the top an 2 in the bottom and it'll be fine, i took the time to cut out my crash bar while i was at it, heavy *** door now a little bit lighter) moving on once you get the door back on with the window going up and down properly you can take the time to clean the window and make sure all your seals are still there (mine are gone oh well i'll get new ones) and adjust the mirror or re adjust it, check the gap between door and car at both ends and the ttops, mine is perfect again as there were marks from where it was before, also if you feel like it take the time to grease and clean up your hinges and hinge pins, mine are almost new, got lucky there PO did that one anyways so if you attempt it listen to all this or my other advice and DONT EVEN TRY IT...........it sucks