Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint Prep

Old 11-13-2000, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint Prep

I was wondering if I could get some help on this. I bought two new doors, well, not new, but two used doors. Anyway, one was primered and the other is grey. I figured what the heck, the primer sucks hard on this door, I'll start block sanding... well, shoot, it came off WAYYY easy. I hit metal in one part without trying at all. Is this bad?
Second, I started sanding the other door, too, because I got bored. Anyway, can I just get like spray paint primer for this or what? There are only one tiny door ding, so I'd use a touch of filer on that, but its hardly anything.
Any suggestions, infinate wisdom, or anything out there?
Thanks,
Douglas
Old 11-13-2000, 06:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1
You should probably be OK with Krylon Laquer primer in a spray can. I used that on spots I did bodywork on my car, then I took it to the paint shop and they used Sikkens base/clear and it's fine. If know where you're getting it painted, ask them what to use.

89 Transam GTA, a few bolt ons
Old 11-13-2000, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Well before you sand, you're supposed to use a paint prep, like MarHyde's "total prep" or similar. It's a spray that you spray on, and wipe off, and it removes all traces of bugs, road grime/tar, bird crap, etc, so you don't sand it into the paint.

As to the old primered door, it probably came off easily because it wasn't a thick coating. Of course, it could've also been a bad spray job; a tack rag (sticky cloth, $0.99 each) is supposed to be used on the surface between sanding and primering, and between each coat of primer. It's job is to remove all traces of dust so the primer can adhere to the surface, isntead of dust.

I believe GM used a lacquer primer. I used Plastikote's primers on my car, which are lacquers. Maaco had no problems shooting my car. In fact, the paint shop might apply a sealer to your paint before they shoot it; the sealer prevents any chemical reaction between paints.

By the way, regular primer's not waterproof.. I found that out the hard way. Use a primer/sealer for your last coat before you drive the car around. I think Glazing Putty does the same thing.

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 11-13-2000, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips, guys. I think they just did a really bad job primering it the first time as in why it came off so easy. It eas pretty bad, up top the primer has chiped off showing the original paint....
I don't know where I will get it painted yet, so I can't really ask. Probably won't be awhile. Any suggestions of how I can do it so the doors will be water proof and black to look descent when I put them on the car before I get the entire car painted.
Thanks,
Douglas