Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone paint their dash pieces the color of their car????? Does it look good??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone paint their dash pieces the color of their car????? Does it look good??

i was thinking of painting some pieces of my dash white since my car is white.. if you havent noticed by my name.. anyhow i thought it would look pretty cool to paint the cover over the gauges white and the part that goes around them white. im talkin about the gray piece on the gauges and the black piece around the gauges that holds the headlight and foglight switches. Do you think this would look good or *****???????
Old 02-02-2001, 06:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
I painted the gauge trim panel on my 90 Formula but mine is black so it worked out. I don't know about white.

------------------
Mongoose-NCTGA-1990 Pontiac Formula/305 TBI-700R4 with Edelbrock Performer TBI intake,TES headers,and STB,K&N,MSD-6AL,Holley laser shot coil,Accel Extreme 9000 wires,Jet Stage 2 chip,TCI shift kit with corvette servo,Richmond 3.73 gear with Auburn 3 series posi,no cat,SLP 3" cat back,Eibach sportline springs,Energy Suspension poly throughout,Lakewood LCA and adjustable panhard bar package,SSM subframe connectors,IROC wonder bar,Tokico 5 way adjustable struts and shocks,Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge,Alpine,JL Audio,MB Quart,92 GTA taillights,92 GTA aero wing and hatch,Steve Spohn LCA relocater kit,MacEwen White face gauges,84 T/A cold air induction air cleaner,Grant Formula GT wheel.
Old 02-02-2001, 12:59 PM

I think you already know the answer--*****.

But, if you want to do it, get some cheap junkyard pieces to try it out on...

MILT

------------------
'83 HOmaro--doesn't run
'92 Bird--burnt to a crisp
'78 T/A 400--fast, Burt Reynold's style
'83 Buick LeSabre--the Ghetto Cruiser
'01 FORD Ranger--'cause it's damn nice
"Without evil there can be no good, so it must be good to be evil some time!"
Old 02-02-2001, 01:42 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4 Jr. Raptor
Yeah, im not sure if it can be done and look good, but i figure its worth a shot on a test peice from a junkyard. It would look suave

Old 02-02-2001, 01:51 PM

Car: 86 iroc
Engine: 305
I think people are gettin carried away with the whole paint this,paint that thing.I myself put in white face gauges about a month ago and cant wait until I find some stock ones at the junkyard so I can rip them out.they got old quick.it looks out of place,this big black dash with these 5 brite white circles,it just doesnt look good to me.I guess one good thing about painting just the trim is its easily replaced and cheap.

------------------
~mike~
1 superclean 86IROC-Z
Old 02-02-2001, 08:29 PM

don't paint the upper dash pad white. you won't be able to see out the window from the glare.

------------------
3.8 turbo 20th anniversary transam #497 first owed by Clifford Williams, Bass player from rock band AC/DC
Old 02-02-2001, 11:43 PM

I panted the 4 plastic peices around the rear defroster, fog light switch, headlight **** and cig lighter white. My car is Blue and I am going to get white face gauges and white stripes soon so it will all go. But it looks pretty go as it is now

------------------
91 Z28, 350
Dynomax cat back, K&N filters and gutted airbox
Old 02-02-2001, 11:57 PM

I helped my friend paint the interior of his Mustang...yes I am friends with a pustang owner...please dont criticize me. I would personally never paint the interior of my Trans am. I think it is really *****. I mean, it doesnt look that bad. He really screwed up some parts of his car, and if it wasnt for me his whole car probably would have been ruined. My suggestion...DONT DO IT....I saw it in a Mustang...it looks good at night...bad in the day....if you do do it, make sure you know what you are doing. Use the right paint, dont rush it. Watch what pieces you paint, because it scratches up easily. Once it is scratched, it looks really sh*tty. It is your car, just my own opinion. If you decide to do it, post up the pictures, and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-03-2001, 12:15 AM

Car: 89 Irocz
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342
Hey you should give the guys at www.thirdgenparts.com a call when i was at their shop about a month ago that had that very trim piece painted white. They still might have it. Give them a call and find out, it looked alright. Well hey if thats what you want to do go for it. I sure it will look pretty sweet if you hook it up right, post some pics when your done.
Old 02-03-2001, 03:15 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes it feel like you're driving a Fisher-Price toy after a bit. And I can't confirm it, but when you get pulled over, I think it makes the cop think "punk-kid *****" and pretty much voids any attempt at talking 'em out of it.

Just for shts and giggles, I painted a spare dash bezel red and stuck it on over the normal black one (yes the screws are long enough to hold up two bezels, hehe). I had been pulled over eight (no exagguration) times before that and never got a ticket. After that, bam bam bam three tickets all in a month's time. Took it off, got pulled over the next week, off scot free. You decide.

And don't tell me to slow down. If I wanted to drive slow and something with red dash pieces, I'd drive a Honda.

And for God's sake leave the A/C ducts, mirrors, and wiper arms alone.
Old 02-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: Built 383 TPI
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27:1 Posi
Forget rice man!! I come from the custom car world, and the hot rod, and street rod worlds, and that's all they do! If ricers have adapted it, then that's cool too. If you want to add something to your interior, go for it.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...
http://www.spinfrenzy.com/stingerssx...easures.html#4
Old 02-03-2001, 05:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Personally I think its *****, but its your car not mine or anyone elses. Try it on some test pieces first though just in case you dont like it.
Hey Metallicamaro, love the username..

------------------
1992 Camaro RS
305ci automatic, all stock til I get some cash.
My 1992 RS
Old 02-04-2001, 05:32 PM

I did it, and i love it:

Some people call it rice, but then again, ive also had people call my car trailer trash because of the ground effects. What matters is that *i* like it, and in your case, if *you*like it, go for it.

Although whoever mentioned it is right about the galre, even those red speaker panels put a whole lot of glare on the windshield. Of course... i also sprayed gloss coat on top of the paint

------------------
1988 Formula, 305TPI, 700r4(for now), headers, stage 2 PROM, modded MAF, cat back, no catalytics, cowl hood, centerline champ 500 rims, KOBEL predator ground effects kit, Trans AM tailights, dash pouch, 92 shift console w/indicator, white face gauges, accented red trim, 12 speaker stereo, 4 amps, tint, T tops... icq 44373460 AIM:twiceroadsfool
see it at www.geocities.com/admrlam/Bird.html
Old 02-04-2001, 05:51 PM

Your interior looks great. You didnt go out of control with the paint. I like it if you only do some pieces. If you do decide to pain your interior, make sure you paint it evenly, because it shows really easily if you dont. Also, use a clear gloss as the last layer. Good Luck. My friends mustang came out alright. The only problem is that he recently scratched some of the pieces he painted. Now it looks a little ****ty. As long as you dont scratch them, they shouldnt look too bad.