Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

hard top to t-top conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard top to t-top conversion?

I have been having this crazy thought of cutting my hard top off and welding on a t-top roof off of another car. I would want to first weld in some sub-frame connectors. they are both 84 cameros. Has anyone here done this/thought about doing this?
I know it would be a chore but I have some friends who are real good with autobody fab/repair and they say it would be better than cutting the roof for t-tops
Old 04-16-2001, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

If you are going that far, just get all the parts from a wrecked convertible and install them on your car. All ASC did to make the converts was take a t-top car and cut the roof off. If you do this conversion, you may need at least the upper section of the windshield off the convert or a t-top car since it is different then a hardtop.

Making your car into a convertible would be a lot easier than making it into a t-top.
Old 04-16-2001, 02:19 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
I just spent $1200 on getting my t-tops to stop leaking and I was thinking how nice it would be to get the roof off of a hardtop camaro and install it. The problem with T-tops is that even if they look good they are usually expensive to maintain. Where I am at school a lot of people specialize in taking off the roof of TTop cars and putting on hardtops because the problem is so big.

I don't think that it would be too difficult though. From what I've read, you'll need to brace the doors with 2X4's so the body won't bow, and then you unbolt the front part from under the hood (it may also be tack welded in). The final part is to cut off the B pillars at a low spot.

You can't just cut off the top of the roof and bolt that in, you need the support member to keep the body from shifting.

Good luck with you decision,
Mike

------------------
1989 RS.. Newly installed 350,bored out 30 over, Hypereutectic pistons, double roller cam, double roller timing chain, accel wires, blue streak cap and rotor, rapidfire plugs, chevy caprice 350 chip, 200* fan switch, 3 angle valve job.