Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Where to mount a boost guage? Fuel press. guage inside?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 08:44 PM
IROC&ROLL

Where to mount a boost guage? Fuel press. guage inside?

I'm looking for suggestions on where to mount a 2-1/16th" boost/vacuum guage in my '87 IROC. I'm thinking about an AutoMeter pillar mount, but would like to know where others are mounting their guages.

I would also like to install a permanent fuel pressure guage. Are there isolators or some way of putting one inside

thx
Old 08-30-2001, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a LoTek pod in my car. Really like it, though they only make them for t-tops (don't know which you have). Better than the Autometer pod imho.

------------------
IROCnRoll
'86 Camaro Sport Coupe & '88 IROC-Z
Old 08-31-2001, 04:37 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a fuel pressure gauge would be better located in the engine compartment. You only really need to read fuel pressure when adjusting it with your head under the hood anyway (unless you're diagnosing intermittant fuel pressure problems while driving, but how often does that happen?), plus you don't have to deal with isolators or remote senders. But this is only my opinion. A boost gauge on the other hand would be most easily mounted on the a-pillar, but personal preference would dictate it to be put close to the tach, so I'd (if it were me) fab up a way to mount it by the tach tucked up in the corner just to the left of the cigarette lighter.
Old 08-31-2001, 07:11 AM

Blue....did it come with the gauges? Or did you have to buy the gauges separate?

James
Old 08-31-2001, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Jim, the gauges are separate. I used Autometer Phantom series gauges in mine.

IROC&ROLL, Jza has a good point about the boost gauge being close to the tach so you can watch both at one glance. Doesn't mean you couldn't use a pillar pod for other gauges, though...
Old 09-01-2001, 06:16 PM
IROC&ROLL

Thanks for the input guys. Besides the pillar mount, I've thought about mounting a single panel guage just under the cluster, below the tach, but the seats are out of the car right now so I can't really tell if that would interfere. I've also thought about under the center A/C vent just to the right of the cigarette lighter. I've dumped the fuel pressure guage idea, at least for the time being, due to cost (about $150 for guage and isolator and $200 for an electric guage). I wouldn't mind having a permanent fp guage, but I already have one rigged up that I can screw on to the test port and tape to my windshield when needed. I think I'll go with an AutoMeter single pillar mount as LoTec doesn't make a single guage replacement pillar. I'll also get a single panel so I can go either way.

Any other ideas?