Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Tail light replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Turbo LSX
Transmission: 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt torsen diff 3.73
Tail light replacement?

Okay, first off I'm not looking to put altezza POS in to replace stock, just looking to replace the POS tail lights that have been in this car for years with something decent. The last owner thought it was a good idea to hack up the stock lights and make a custom set using some kind of led trailer lights. They look like **** and have no place on my car, or any f body for that matter.

I'm just looking for options on what I can replace these with. They should have been done long ago but I just lost my license again so this summer I'm overhauling my big toy. Right now I'm confined to the dragstrip.

Attached is a picture of the shitty tail lights.
Attached Thumbnails Tail light replacement?-image.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: Tail light replacement?

Originally Posted by Irockthedrag
Okay, first off I'm not looking to put altezza POS in to replace stock, just looking to replace the POS tail lights that have been in this car for years with something decent. The last owner thought it was a good idea to hack up the stock lights and make a custom set using some kind of led trailer lights. They look like **** and have no place on my car, or any f body for that matter.

I'm just looking for options on what I can replace these with. They should have been done long ago but I just lost my license again so this summer I'm overhauling my big toy. Right now I'm confined to the dragstrip.

Attached is a picture of the shitty tail lights.
hit up bruce @ hawks third gen. he may have a set of OEM tail light assys. and good luck with the PA D.O.T.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM

I saw a few oem sets local but they're faded, worn, or damaged. If I go back to oem I'd have to have something brand new or atleast look like it. I know in the past I've seen different varieties of what looked like oem tails, and I was wondering what options I may have for different replacements.

This car is going to have new paint, rims, interior, and much more this summer. Cost isn't really an issue considering the fact that there's already 5k+ easy tied up in this car, so there's no point in skimping now. Besides I don't plan on ever getting rid of it.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM

Anyone else to chime in? I know someone knows something or atleast has some input.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: WC T5 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I have always liked these:

Spaghetti Engineering Digi-Tails

https://digi-tails.com/1982-1992-che...l-light-panels

Be sure and watch the video clips on that page.

You'll also have to buy a set of factory tail lights to build them from. You can check with www.thirdgenranch.com or www.hawksthirdgenparts.com. One of them should have a few sets. I've found them in very good condition on ebay or Craigslist, too.