Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Passenger Mirror Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Mirror Help?

Hi all, I have a question about my passenger mirror. I changed the glass recently. The part that holds the glass is attached to the power window assembly with a cross shaped part; I can get one side of the cross in, but not the other. How do I get both sides in?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Passenger Mirror Help?-mirror-1.jpg   Passenger Mirror Help?-mirror-2.jpg   Passenger Mirror Help?-mirror-3.jpg  

Last edited by That Sky Guy; 02-02-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Wasn't clear enough.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Passenger Mirror Help?

What starts to sag? The mirror glass? What do the power windows have to do with the mirrors?

Seriously, if you can't communicate clearly what you're trying to fix, how can anyone help?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
What starts to sag? The mirror glass? What do the power windows have to do with the mirrors?

Seriously, if you can't communicate clearly what you're trying to fix, how can anyone help?
Apologies. Allow me to clarify.

I changed the glass recently. The part that holds the glass is attached to the power window assemble with a cross shaped part. The whole assembly sags; it doesn't stay upright, gradually falling down where I can't use it.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:02 AM
Supreme Member

Changed which glass? The mirror glass isn't attached to the window in any way. When you say "power window" do you mean the power mirror motor? What is sagging? The door? The window? The mirror body? The mirror glass?

I'm sorry, I'm trying, but I can't make sense of what you're saying.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:51 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

There are 3 screws holding the PM assembly to the housing. You can barely get to them with a screwdriver when the mirror is adjusted out of the way.
Is the cross still snapped in?
Are those screws still snug?
Did this occur after changing the glass?
What have you observed inside the housing?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM

All:

I updated the OP with pictures... that cross shaped part is giving me a hassle, so it seems.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

It snaps in. Push hard.

CLICK!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
It snaps in. Push hard.

CLICK!
I'm afraid I'll break it, haha... but I'll definitely give it a shot. Any more advice?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like you're missing the pegs that engage the mirror backing to the motors. The cross shaped gimbal allows the mirror to pivot L-R & U-D. Without the drive pegs, even when you get the gimbal snapped in it'll still flop around.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM

Looks like you're missing the pegs that engage the mirror backing to the motors. The cross shaped gimbal allows the mirror to pivot L-R & U-D. Without the drive pegs, even when you get the gimbal snapped in it'll still flop around.
Those are the small circles that attach on each side, right? If so, they're still there... probably shouldn't have used a flashlight to take a picture at night, lol.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Good call !

The proper way to replace busted mirror glass is to smash out the old glass and then remove all the busted glass pieces. Your not supposed to pull the bracket off the motor when replacing just the glass.

The "cross" piece/bracket should have been installed on the motor BEFORE you installed the new mirror glass. Otherwise your only option is to push the parts together, and this usually leads to breaking the new glass. Not always - you MIGHHT get lucky - but it's very likely to happen.

IMO your best bet is to remove the new glass, install the bracket ( & "cross" ) by pushing it back onto the motor, then re-install the glass again. FYI: I've had the unfortunate luck of busting that "cross" twice when repairing mirrors,... so make it as easy as possible for yourself because if that "cross" gets busted you'll probably need to replace the mirror guts. There is MORE than 1 type of bracket - they are NOT all the same from 82-92.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by John in RI
Good call !

The proper way to replace busted mirror glass is to smash out the old glass and then remove all the busted glass pieces. Your not supposed to pull the bracket off the motor when replacing just the glass.

The "cross" piece/bracket should have been installed on the motor BEFORE you installed the new mirror glass. Otherwise your only option is to push the parts together, and this usually leads to breaking the new glass. Not always - you MIGHHT get lucky - but it's very likely to happen.

IMO your best bet is to remove the new glass, install the bracket ( & "cross" ) by pushing it back onto the motor, then re-install the glass again. FYI: I've had the unfortunate luck of busting that "cross" twice when repairing mirrors,... so make it as easy as possible for yourself because if that "cross" gets busted you'll probably need to replace the mirror guts. There is MORE than 1 type of bracket - they are NOT all the same from 82-92.

Lots of useful tips... definitely going to go take care of it!