Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

drivers door sticks out at top from quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: L31, LT4 hot cam
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:43 LSD
drivers door sticks out at top from quarter panel

Per the title. Noticed the top of the drivers door sticks about a 1/4 inch away from the quarter panel. About midway and at the bottom the door is inline with the quarter

Had the door hinges recently re-pinned and doors do not sag. Door is original and the rear quarter looks original.

Was thinking of adjusting the striker but then wouldn't this cause the bottom of the door (which is currently well aligned) to go 'in' too much?

Will post up some picks this afternoon but grateful for any input
Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: drivers door sticks out at top from quarter panel

I've got the exact opposite issue with a door I'm presently mangling, I mean trying to fix. Top on mine lines up fine, bottom sticks out. In my case, some dimwit dragged the bulk of the body line across something, and practically tore the mirror off. I just assume the stress in the damaged areas I know of, caused the warp or pull on the bottom rear corner, but I haven't gotten far enough fixing the much more obvious damage to worry too much about the corner yet.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM

Yeah could well be a chequered past. Pics attached of the offending drivers side and passenger side for reference.
Attached Thumbnails drivers door sticks out at top from quarter panel-image2.jpg   drivers door sticks out at top from quarter panel-image1.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to work for a body and custom shop doing body work and paint a lot of the times when people who do a first time body replacement part like a quarter panel or a forget that it didn't originally come with the car it has to be bent and spaced a certain way the seam between the front quarter panel and the door has to be ablut an 1/8th of an inch so it doesn't look like it's been replaced so if it's sticking out means the guy who put it on when he replaced it didn't put it all the way in and to fix it just look at where the quarter panel is bolted or button down at if there is an extra whole next to where it's sticking out just take it of line it with that whole but a new plastics button and u should be good to go
Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM

thanks Tyler. Guess I need to dig around a little for a quarter or maybe door repair.