Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

How do I refinish my Front Camaro Grille?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Iroc-z
Engine: 4.8 Ls
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 342 10 bolt
How do I refinish my Front Camaro Grille?

I know it sounds like a stupid question so bare with me, the front grille that says "Camaro" how do I restore it to where I could get the "Camaro" part white again? Do I paint it with a brush or stencil? Could anybody help me out?

That's the part I'm talking about..... Thanks Guys
Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: How do I refinish my Front Camaro Grille?

Man....it's real hard. ...you could hand brush it, but very few have the hand to make it look right. ...you could maybe roll across the top of it, but again, gotta be real careful not to touch the background. Still, not sure if it'd work. I was gonna redo mine in vinyl (I work at a sign shop) but I went another route. Sanded mine smooth and went with a bowtie. Without one in front of me, it'd be impossible to get it right the first time in vinyl. I have the CAMARO file, but the spacing and fine detailing would take having one in front of me to play with.

...you could always buy one. Silver, Gold or Red.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Well, for starters, it was never white. It'd be silver or gold, whichever color matches the accents and emblems of the car. Beyond that, you can either paint the letters first, and mask them off and paint the black, and when you remove the masking you have the colored letters. Or you can paint the black, then go back and carefully paint the lettering. Kind of sucks both ways.

Did this one last spring. It had a bunch of sand pitting, front plate bracket holes, and the lettering was rough. Took more work than I'd planned to sand it smooth, spray the semi-gloss black smooth, then paint the lettering.

Name:  P4090001a.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  208.2 KB
Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

heres an idea....

get some play dough and fill everything around the letters. you can probably let the dough get dry, then sand it down so its flush with the top of the letters. then just roll or brush the paint over it. once the paint dries you can remove the play dough.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

My TGO bros would be shocked at how much trim I've made to look like new with these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMERS-CORPO...kAAOSwTM5YtHJf

Prep and spray paint it semi-gloss black and paint the letters with a marker. Get a black marker too, in case you need to correct a screw up.

Make sure you shake it up and get the tip flowing. It's real paint.

Last edited by chazman; 06-15-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Search this Thread