Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Irritating general body noise, solution maybe

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4
Irritating general body noise, solution maybe

Body noise on my car since I got it. Searched in and out, top and bottom. Not a strong rattle but just a junk loose sound on rough city streets and bumps. Opening the door the other day and the outside handle slipped, rattled like crazy. Both handles have metal to metal contact and are loose. Put some foam tape on the contact points and the difference is amazing, like a new car (well, almost) and gives the car a much tighter feel overall. Doesn't seem possible, but it sure was on my car. I'd guess these were spring loaded when new, tension went out over the years? Something to check.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Irritating general body noise, solution maybe

I agree, when I first got my 84 and drove her home (500 miles) I heard all sorts of noises from the car, nothing falling off just squeaks and rattles. I had to change my interior anyway as it was falling apart. When I stripped her to the shell, I added sound and heat proofing sheets to the roof/doors and floor pans, and thin foam insulation at points between the dash pad/ plastic instrument bezel and thick heat and water resistant grease (found a black colour version at Canadian tire here in Canada 2014) that I applied to all the interior plastic panel clips and body contact points and 3 years later not a noise to be heard even on uneven roads.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 89 trans am gta
Engine: 5.7 350 tpi

I'm in Canada in Toronto. Just wanted to know the name of the sound and heat sheets you used, from Canadian tire. I know u said it was a few years ago, but I thought it would be worth a shot to check if u knew the name
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4

Hey Craig, bad news and good news LoL my buddy was replacing his carpet on his C4 and tried to buy the same product I used start of the year, unfortunately CT no longer sells this product and hasn't for a while now sorry but the good news is that we found another supplier in Canada. The product is called Auto-Chem inc (7051/7052) Sound Proofing Sheets- Black/Silver (made in Quebec) and you can get it from Napa (its also fireproof) same idea as dynamat. Hope this helps Our local Napa store only had a box in stock but was able to order in the extra boxes for my buddy.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 89 trans am gta
Engine: 5.7 350 tpi

Thanks for the info, nice trans am looks great. I just replaced my carpet and sprayed the bare floor with boom-mat spray helped a little..but now I need to replace the rear carpet and I was looking for something a little better but not so pricey as dynamat..so I will look into this. Thanks again