Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rust on car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
Rust on car...

so when I purchased this car I noticed there was a hole on the drivers side floor pan. it would appear that someone had tried to jack the car up by the pinch welds. I only lifted the carpet and it didn't look too bad. however I lifted up some more today and it looks bad. this is just the drivers side. ill have to take a gander at the passenger one. the subframe doesn't look too bad. is this fixable or am I just better off getting another car/ rust free shell?
Attached Thumbnails Rust on car...-imag0253.jpg   Rust on car...-imag0254.jpg   Rust on car...-imag0255.jpg   Rust on car...-imag0257.jpg   Rust on car...-imag0258.jpg  

Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Hot 355ci
Transmission: Beefed TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: Rust on car...

Originally Posted by Cheerio
so when I purchased this car I noticed there was a hole on the drivers side floor pan. it would appear that someone had tried to jack the car up by the pinch welds. I only lifted the carpet and it didn't look too bad. however I lifted up some more today and it looks bad. this is just the drivers side. ill have to take a gander at the passenger one. the subframe doesn't look too bad. is this fixable or am I just better off getting another car/ rust free shell?
Don't be scared of some rust, it's all fixable, it just takes some time to do. If you don't want to fix it sure get another, but there is a good chance there will be rust somewhere; or you fix it, learn, and end up with a car you are very proud of because of how it turned out.

I think you should fix it
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Classic Industries sells replacement floor pans, although they are bit pricey. I have rot in the spot, although not quite as bad as yours. I'm going to try and find some clean donor panels, but I doubt I'll have much luck up here in Canada.

These cars all rust in that area for a number of reasons so I think it would be hard to find a shell that wouldn't need some rust repair.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 2014 Camaro SS V8
Engine: 305 & 6.2L
Transmission: 700R4

Yeah, that happened to me about 6 years ago. I pulled the entire interior and carpets out and started cutting all the rot out. I salvaged as much of the original floor as I could and welded in 19 Gage steel and then used seam sealer. She looks a bit like Frankenstein on a lift, but it's stronger and half a decade later rust free.